Lactose-free, Sugar-Free Desserts. Need ideas!

Options
Moxie42
Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
I'm in charge of desserts for Christmas this year, but there is one 3-year-old who is lactose-intolerant, and there are two adults who won't eat sugar (including any sugar substitutes, honey, maple syrup). I can make two separate desserts, or one that is both lactose and sugar-free, but I need to make sure whatever I make, that it's something both kids and adults would like, including kids and adults who do not have dietary restrictions.

I'll be looking up ideas on Pinterest and Google but if anyone has tried & true recipe suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Personally, dietary restrictions I will work with...avoiding something as personal choice is not something I would accommodate unless those individuals were the only one's joining me...and in this particular instance I wouldn't be making a desert at all then.

If I were someone avoiding sugar, it's highly likely that I'm not really into or expecting to eat desert...
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I would feel the same way, but it's just a once-a-year thing. Usually we host the entire dinner so only having to do desserts this year, and having it at my aunt-in-law's house, is already saving a lot of hassle. Plus I love baking and experimenting with recipes so I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. I always do two desserts anyway, one of them being a lighter option because half the family is diabetic. This is just the first time the restrictions have been this specific.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try looking up Paleo recipes - they are naturally dairy free and often sweetened with dates or bananas in recipes.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I just made an apple strudel that's only got 2 tbsp of brown sugar in 14 servings AND it's lactose-free. (And you could probably omit the brown sugar and maybe use sweeter apples). If your adults are also avoiding fruit-sweetened dishes, this won't help. But if not...

6 sheets phyllo dough
    8 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and thinly-sliced (note: that was actually too many apples for my phyllo and the dough broke up before it went into the oven. If your apples are on the large side, use fewer.)
    1/2 cup raisins
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
    cooking spray

2 cups non-alcoholic apple cider
    4 tsp cornstarch
    cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease or spray a cookie sheet.
    Combine apples with raisins, brown sugar, and spices. Mix to combine.

Place 2 sheets of phyllo on the cookie sheet. Spray the top sheet with cooking spray and lay a third over them. Place half the fruit mixture at one end of the dough and roll up, tucking the ends under as you go. Take a knife and cut 3/4-of the way through on the diagonal to make 7 slices. Repeat with the remaining dough and fruit mixture.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is browned.

Whisk cider with cornstarch and spices. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.

Serve strudel warm and topped with cider sauce.

Source: The Complete Vegetarian Times Cookbook.