Slimfast and heart palpitations?

Options
I have had a Slimfast shake every morning for breakfast for the past two weeks. Roughly 5 days ago I noticed that my chest was feeling uncomfortable.. not really hurting, just weird. Almost like indigestion but no burning. And I have been burping a lot more lately. Just fluttering and weird! Bubbly even, I know that makes no sense. I was thinking to myself, what have I been doing differently and did I eat something strange that would upset it? The only thing that crossed my mind was the slimfast. So just a warning, googling slimfast and heart palpitations is NOT a good idea unless you want to be scared out of your mind. I am going to go to the doctor if I do not feel better after a few days of not drinking the Slimfast. I am not certain there is any correlation obviously. Especially considering I am only drinking one shake per day. But I will say I was taken back by some of the stories. No more SF for this girl.

Replies

• becread2
    becread2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In July, I started drinking Slimfast on mornings when I didn't have time for breakfast. At the end of July, our apt. lease was up and while packing/moving.... I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. I had to stop and rest frequently while working. I felt like my head was going to explode. My face was flushed and sweating, I was disoriented. I've never felt like that in my life and never want to again.

After the move, I was better.... but didn't feel back to normal. A week or so later, I was with my sister and had a strange feeling in my chest. I couldn't catch my breath and thought I was passing out. My sister told me to put my head between my knees and took me to the ER. I was admitted and the hospital staff ran all kinds of tests on my heart, brain, etc. They didn't find heart damage or a reason my chest felt strange.

I didn't associate the change with taking Slimfast, until someone told me a co-worker's husband's heart was damaged by Slim-fast. I stopped taking it that day... and haven't experienced the strange feelings in my chest and lungs since.

I'm thankful I wasn't taking it more than once a day, because obviously it wasn't good for my system.
  • keelynn
    keelynn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is very old, I too experienced the same. YEARS ago i tried slimfast and experienced weird chest pressure/pain. after a few days back then I stopped drinking the shakes. I mainly fell off the diet not fully thinking the pain was associated. Last week I bought the keto version and after 2 shakes, I again felt that same weird pressure/sensation in my chest. I then remembered feeling this way before, so i immediately stopped. the next day i felt 'normal'. it's been a week since having the shake and i'm still feeling fine so it MUST be something in it that is causing the pain. I'm curious to know what that could be so I can look to avoid in any other foods.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    This is way too scary! :#
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @MelanieCN77 that was a good catch. While I do not consider it health food no one that I know has had health issues from SlimFast or its knock offs over the years. I think it is a good shotgun approach for some people on the run or in a nursing home, etc.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    As far as I know they are just *kitten* shakes that aren't very filling. They never had even caffeine in them that I can remember, let alone any of those stimulants that were proven to do real heart damage.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,298 Member
    Options
    the taste is gritty chalky no thanks...I will make my homemade protein shake from home :)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Only reaction I ever had to it was from the sugar
    My dietitian suggested 2 a day and I drank it without checking.
    22g of sugar so set off dumping syndrome
    I switched out for a low carb protein shake and all good
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I drank that stuff off and on for years and actually loved the cappuccino flavor. It didn't lead to lasting weight loss, but I suffered no ill effects.