First Christmas Alone

Options

Replies

• NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    csbnga wrote: »
    Be my first alone as well. Probably get some nogg, a bottle of something potent, relax and watch Christmas movies, eat a bit too much.

What’s wrong with me that this sounds like the perfect Christmas? Am I mommed out? Am I ungrateful? I can’t decide.

Oh, I never said it was a bad thing
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    The holidays alone can be pretty tough. But, key is to either go over to friend(s)' house if you can. Or, find a way to pass your time as best as possible. Take the day and relax, watch movies, enjoy and unwind. I've spent a few alone over the past few years. You're welcome to send a FR request if you'd like for some chat company. :)

Holiday movie list for me:

Charlie Brown Christmas
    Disney's A Christmas Carol
    Elf
    Die Hard
    Jingle All the Way
    Lethal Weapon
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Dr. Seuss, not fan of Jim Cary movie)
    Christmas Vacation
    Eight Crazy Nights
    Rudolph Red Nosed Reindeer (Claymation)
    Frosty the Snowman (old cartoon movie)
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Be my first alone as well. Probably get some nogg, a bottle of something potent, relax and watch Christmas movies, eat a bit too much.

What’s wrong with me that this sounds like the perfect Christmas? Am I mommed out? Am I ungrateful? I can’t decide.

Oh, I never said it was a bad thing

No, I know! You make it sound fantastic. I just think that I should probably be less into Xmas alone since I have a family :grimace:
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    So this is going to be my first Christmas alone (my daughter will be with her Dad)..thinking about it is giving me so much anxiety..Anyone else spend it alone? What do you do?

Hardly a Christmas or Thanksgiving goes by that one of my daughters or my wife doesn't invite someone over that doesn't have plans. This past Thanksgiving, my youngest daughter brought 3 people over that I had never met. We had a blast. This Christmas, she is bringing 2 of them over, as well as 1 or 2 new people. My oldest daughter is bringing 2 people as well.

On the off chance you live anywhere near Portland, Oregon and would like to join us, message me and I will give you directions.

Re5pext!

You're a kind soul and a good man; that's quite the offer.

I'll be over around 7 PM and I'll be leaving sometime around March.

.... 'April' at the latest.

Swing through ND and grab me.

Then again on your way home.

Howdy neighbor. Albeit a few hours drive apart. ;)
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    sfertch wrote: »
    So this is going to be my first Christmas alone (my daughter will be with her Dad)..thinking about it is giving me so much anxiety..Anyone else spend it alone? What do you do?

Hardly a Christmas or Thanksgiving goes by that one of my daughters or my wife doesn't invite someone over that doesn't have plans. This past Thanksgiving, my youngest daughter brought 3 people over that I had never met. We had a blast. This Christmas, she is bringing 2 of them over, as well as 1 or 2 new people. My oldest daughter is bringing 2 people as well.

On the off chance you live anywhere near Portland, Oregon and would like to join us, message me and I will give you directions.

Re5pext!

Swing through ND and grab me.

Then again on your way home.

Howdy neighbor. Albeit a few hours drive apart. ;)

Where you at?
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options

Re5pext!

Well, it's important to share these holidays with others. I've posted this story before, but I want you to know why I feel this way.

"In 1973, I was stationed in 29 Palms, California. Couldn't go home for Thanksgiving. I rode my motorcycle into Palm Springs and was just wandering around. I sat down on a bench in a mall and statrted people watching. Trying to figure out which fast food joint I would eat at, so that I didn't have to go back to base and eat the Marine Corps version of Thanksgiving.

A little girl, whose mother was shopping, came out of a store and sat down beside me. About 6. Started asking me questions and chatting -- as 6 yr olds do.

She went back into the store and came out again with her mother in tow. Her mother invited me to Thanksgiving dinner at the little girl's request. I feel badly that I can't remember her name, but it was 40 years ago. But I will always remember that Thanksgiving and how much it meant to me.

As I spent my time in the Corps, I had many opportunities to be stattioned near my parents' home and I brought a lot of Marines home for Holidays and weekends. Marines eat a lot and my parents were poor.

A few years ago, my mother confessed to me that many times the Marines that I brought home ate up her week's budget for food. I asked her why she never told me. She told me she was happy and proud to be able to help those boys and that she always hoped that if I were ever stationed away from home, somebodie's mother would do the same for her son.

My parents have since passed away. I am going to miss them this weekend. In her memory, we always have a couple stragglers at our table for the holidays.

Think about all the leftovers you try to figure out what to do with and realize you probably have room at your table for someone that isn't as fortunate as you are.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. I am going to. With Family, Old Friends and a couple new Friends."

Every time we take a person into our home over the holidays, I feel like I am paying a debt to my Mom that is way overdue.

This is awesome that your parents did this, and that the little girl invited you over for dinner as well. I know that at least around Lejeune it is common for there to be host families that will invite Marines over for the holidays. I believe this occurs around many other bases as well. It's our brotherhood (and sisterhood for the WM's) to look out for one another.

Although, I'll say I didn't mind the mess hall versions of the holiday meals. Nothing a little bit of McIlhenny's Tabasco sauce couldn't fix...

Semper Fi
  • more_skal
    more_skal Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I will call you on google hangouts on christmas if you are alone, my mother and I would be happy to talk to you and i will introduce you to my meow meows!
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    more_skal wrote: »
    I will call you on google hangouts on christmas if you are alone, my mother and I would be happy to talk to you and i will introduce you to my meow meows!

Seems awfully unfair to the puppy
  • BeamingBadass
    BeamingBadass Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    more_skal wrote: »

This is adorable!
  • TheHawk007
    TheHawk007 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm here for anybody.

I remember the first Christmas without my wife. I cried. Boy, did I cry. Went to a bar and started drinking. Sat at a little table, and faced away from the bar, so people wouldn't see me. Put a bunch of money in the juke box and played a lot of sad songs, just to "help" me along...

One guy, Wayne, a skinny guy, had the guts to come up to me. I told him. He bought me a drink. Believe it or not, he's a good friend. Miss him since I moved away a few years ago....

Anybody want to friend me, go ahead. I've no right to refuse anybody.

I'll be here on Xmas. Alone. Sober? No promises on anything...
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    TheHawk007 wrote: »
    I'm here for anybody.

I remember the first Christmas without my wife. I cried. Boy, did I cry. Went to a bar and started drinking. Sat at a little table, and faced away from the bar, so people wouldn't see me. Put a bunch of money in the juke box and played a lot of sad songs, just to "help" me along...

One guy, Wayne, a skinny guy, had the guts to come up to me. I told him. He bought me a drink. Believe it or not, he's a good friend. Miss him since I moved away a few years ago....

Anybody want to friend me, go ahead. I've no right to refuse anybody.

I'll be here on Xmas. Alone. Sober? No promises on anything...

Awww.

I really need to be better about approaching people.
  • TheHawk007
    Options
    No problem. I'm a big boy now. Merry merry
  • more_skal
    more_skal Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Hey I'd like to call you on Christmas as well if that's alright with you, the four of us (lady who made the thread), you, me and my mother can all chit chat about the holidays and I'll show you all of my animals too

warm wishes, stephn
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Come to my crazy house on Christmas.
  • TheHawk007
    Options
    Great ideas all. I've made some strides the last 10 years. Took a great while to get used to. My thanks to you all.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hugs. That’s all.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    One of my daughters employees, Sophie, came to our home for Thanksgiving, because she couldn't go home. Her family lives on the coast. About 90 minutes away.

I talked to my daughter a couple weeks ago to see who all was coming for Christmas. She is bringing a couple of friends and also said she wasn't sure what Sophie was doing. She said Sophie doesn't have a car and her parents' won't come get her for Christmas. Kind of bummed me out, so I called my daughter, Holland, last night and told her I would be willing to drive Sophie to the coast so she could be with her family and then I would go back and pick her up. Holland said that Sophie just got all her Christmas presents in the mail, which kind of solidified that her parents weren't coming to get her. That really bummed me out, but Holland said she's bringing Sophie over for Christmas at our house and Sophie is really looking forward to it. My wife is putting a Stocking on the Mantel with her name on it.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you a secret. I grew to LOVE the Christmasses that I spent alone. I was definitely heartbroken that first year that my daughter was at her dad's and it felt sad and wrong. BUT Christmas is just a day on the calendar.

So on those years, I could celebrate Christmas with my daughter when she got back home with me a little bit later, and we could do it OUR way. We'd spend that day doing whatever WE wanted. We'd open gifts together, and watch our favorite Christmas movies, and eat junk food, and stay in our pajamas all day. We didn't have to rush around to make a meal for the extended family, or go to a chaotic grandparents' house or fight traffic or any of those things that always stress me out and make Christmas exhausting, and those were my very favorite Christmasses.

It's actually something I MISS, now that I'm married and have a big family again.

Much love to you, OP. I hope you can find a way to enjoy this holiday.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Come over. I'll have plenty of food and wine.