Late Night Snacking

Options
I hate late night snacking.
I always feel like I'm starving at night and I need to stop.
Soon.
I know it's all in willpower, but I really need some encouragement.
Anybody have any advice, even, on how to just....get rid of the urges?
How to fight it more easily...or alternatives?
Maybe things that I could eat if I absolutely must?
Any advice would be incredible.
Any encouragement or "I've been there" stories would also be helpful.
Thanks.

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating at night time, if it fits into your allotted calories.
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    MikkLuhnRozzWhuh Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    By the way, I try to drink water instead....
    I still can't get the thoughts out of my head that I'm "hungry"....
    I need so much help in this area. I could lose so much weight if I eliminated late night snacking.
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating at night time, if it fits into your allotted calories.

I don't know, I feel like it just...chills on my stomach if I sleep after eating so late.
    :(
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    It has no effect on weight loss if you are eating in your allotted calories. I assure you.

You can try things like zero calorie soda, or green tea (caffeine is an appetite suppressant)
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    Options
    You can try things like zero calorie soda, or green tea (caffeine is an appetite suppressant)

That's helpful, knowing that caffeine is an appetite suppressant.
    The problem I have is that I eat so much during the day as it is.
    When I late night snack...I binge and then fall asleep.
    That's the problem, hahaha.
    There is no happy medium.
    I either don't feel hungry (which never happens)....
    Or I binge and eat like there's no tomorrow and then fall asleep, allowing it to sit on my stomach overnight.
    Mehr.
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    Options
    It has no effect on weight loss if you are eating in your allotted calories. I assure you.

Thank you. I'll consider that, though, when I feel like I have plenty of space in my calorie count for the day.
    I just always worry about eating too late.
    It's comforting that it won't totally hurt me if I keep within my calorie limit and just eat a bit later than normal.
    <3
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Can you eat dinner later at night? Say 7:30 or 8:00 and make sure it includes protein to help you feel satisfied?
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    Options
    Can you eat dinner later at night? Say 7:30 or 8:00 and make sure it includes protein to help you feel satisfied?

I definitely need to work on that.
    My diet is outrageous.
    I sometimes eat two meals a day.
    I want to stop eating by 8 o'clock at night, but it can be so difficult when I'm either....
    Not eating proper meals....or only eating twice in the day.
    It's so difficult.
    :( Wah!
    You've definitely inspired me to consider trying harder to eat regular meals.
    I've been trying, but not hard enough...
    I really need to do that. That sounds like a wonderful way to get rid of these urges I have.
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    Options
    So far, I'm considering a cup of tea before I go to sleep.
    Eating something healthy like a stick of celery or something along those lines.
    Eating regular meals and maybe a later dinner with more filling foods.
    Drinking more water (as hard as it may be at first)....
    Any other recommendations?
    Again, stories are welcome. Anybody who has made it through this struggle?
    What worked for you? How'd you get out?
  • mstieann
    mstieann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get hungry at night too, and I find that snacking on fruit is the best way to deal with my cravings. I especially like extra sugary fruit like watermelon and grapes. As long as you don't have blood sugar problems, fruit might work for you. Fruit also has a ton of water in it, so if your hunger is actually thirst, then you're killing two birds with one stone. :)

Fun fact: I used to detest fruit. Now I can't get enough!

Good luck and don't give up!
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    Options
    I get hungry at night too, and I find that snacking on fruit is the best way to deal with my cravings. I especially like extra sugary fruit like watermelon and grapes. As long as you don't have blood sugar problems, fruit might work for you. Fruit also has a ton of water in it, so if your hunger is actually thirst, then you're killing two birds with one stone. :)

Fun fact: I used to detest fruit. Now I can't get enough!

Good luck and don't give up!

This definitely helps.
    I'm in love with fruit so I need to get more grapefruit tomorrow (like a crapton)...
    And just work with that idea.
    Hmmm...that's really helpful, though. Definitely.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Plan your day around your evening snack habit. Its not bad to snack at night, just make sure you have the calories for it and you will be fine.
  • cccoursey
    cccoursey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have always had a rough time sleeping through the night. Well day. I am currently a night shift worker. I recently began eating an All-Bran cereal when I got home and then sleeping. It has helped me to stay asleep for an extended period. A consistent 6-8hrs without waking. Something I have never done. As I was looking at my macros again yesterday I came across this article which made me feel less worried about doing so. I hope this helps.

http://iifym.com/carbs-at-night/
  • MikkLuhnRozzWhuh
    Options

Thank you for this.
    I'm about to start reading it... :D
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    You could try introducing intermittent fasting, too. That changed everything for me never felt "hunger" since.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Food doesn't sit in your stomach. Your digestive system doesn't stop working just because you're asleep. Be mindful of your calorie, carb, protein, and fat goals, and don't worry about trying to eat at a specific time. I've eaten a pint of ice cream right before bed before. The time you eat is irrelevant as long as you fit it into your goals.
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try Kind bars- they have about 200 calories per bar but lots of protein- they curb hunger for me pretty good :) I like the dark chocolate and peanut butter ones
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I just ate 700 calories laying here in bed watching tv, I guarantee you meal frequency has no bearing on weightloss. If you maintain a calorie deficit you will lose weight. I have eaten this way since I started and have lost a couple pounds..... Best of Luck
  • tabonema
    tabonema Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat all the time, I do light exercises in the morning and my aerobics at night, and of course I drink a lot of water.( I love ginger, so I boil it in a lot of water and drink it as regular water. At night I'm always looking inside the fridge. The trick for me is to have lots of fruits, vegies and yogurt available. They are low in calories and you can eat all you want. My advise to you, don't fight it. Let it go. Relax, accepted, and before you know the pounds will melt.
  • _Madison_Leigh
    Options
    I've been there!
    I had to get away from the mindset that I needed food late at night. I had subconsciously made the connection of eating and preparing for sleep. I was so hungry at nigh, because I was really just so tired.
    Here are some things to try
    - Think about not what you could eat now but what you will eat for breakfast! they call it breakfast because you are literally breaking a fast. We are designed to do this at night so that are bodies can get enough sleep
    - only eat at kitchen table, no tv, no music, no distractions. If you commit to doing this you might find, like I did, that I wasnt truly hungry before bed just bored.
    -d something else between eating and sleeping, journaling, reading, something.
    - go to bed hungry, if you find it difficult to fall asleep, you may have connected food and sleep like I did.