Coming Back From Injury

Options
Nice story from trainer and fitness writer Lee Boyce on his comeback from a serious injury:

http://leeboycetraining.com/6-months-ago-learn-walk-heres-discovered/

I've had several orthopedic surgeries and one point I really share with him is get back to the gym (assume you went to the gym in the first place). For me, even going in there to do my rehab exercises with the little bands helped my mood,

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i really liked him for this:

"This is the part of the story where most people would boast about sending the doctor’s recommendations to hell, while chronicling their comeback story and lightning-quick recovery that they made happen all by themselves "

i feel like we need more keeping-it-real stories from ordinary people. not that he's ordinary, but stories that aren't about some scripted odds-beating super-triumph. thanks.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this.

I am currently 5days post shoulder surgery following a fracture and am in the "frustrated and immobile" phase.
    Physio is rapidly becoming my new religion ("prayer" 3 times a day...) but day to day tasks such as washing, dressing and cutting food are major achievements.

I miss the gym, and am desperate to be "allowed" back, but since I can't even swing that arm while walking and have the surgical dressing in place (which mustn't get wet, so no serious sweating or needing to shower...) - not yet. Maybe in 10 days (dressing comes off in a week) but then it will likely only be the recline bike or a very slow treadmill walk.
    When I think of all the work I did over the last year on cardio, core, flexibility and leg strength it saddens me.

BUT if the article guy can come back from where he was.... Maybe. Just, patience and slow steps forwards. I will heal. Time. And effort.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this.

I am currently 5days post shoulder surgery following a fracture and am in the "frustrated and immobile" phase.
    Physio is rapidly becoming my new religion ("prayer" 3 times a day...) but day to day tasks such as washing, dressing and cutting food are major achievements.

I miss the gym, and am desperate to be "allowed" back, but since I can't even swing that arm while walking and have the surgical dressing in place (which mustn't get wet, so no serious sweating or needing to shower...) - not yet. Maybe in 10 days (dressing comes off in a week) but then it will likely only be the recline bike or a very slow treadmill walk.
    When I think of all the work I did over the last year on cardio, core, flexibility and leg strength it saddens me.

BUT if the article guy can come back from where he was.... Maybe. Just, patience and slow steps forwards. I will heal. Time. And effort.

In my experience after dressing came off, I was allowed to do things at the gym. The selector pin and plate loaded leg machines became my friends. Leg curls with a Swiss ball and various forms of lunges with bands (it's a bit of a challenge to get the bands in place with a sling buy you get better at it. Also brisk walking.

Check with the surgeon/therapist as to what you can and cannot do. Best of luck.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks Packerjohn.

Really looking forward to getting the dressings off on Friday and starting proper physio the Monday after. So far it's just been "pendulum" exercises. I am already getting a reasonable range of (passive) motion but am looking forward to being a bit more active again.
    I will totally be guided by the surgeon/physio as to limitations but will do everything I'm allowed to within those limits!

I'm a skier by sport, so those "pin and plate" leg machines and I are already good friends. Just may have to reign in the weight a bit so I don't need to stabilise with my upper limbs...