Bench press foot placement

To start off, I’m not looking for input from anyone who thinks they know what’s what with no true experience. I’m looking to hear from the heavy benchers/lifters on here, both men and woman. hopefully with a comfortable Wilks score so that they aren’t just blessed with more weight to push weight.

Obviously to a degree much of form is personal preferenceI’m just struggling locking down my bench.

Wider foot placement with flat feet equals more stability but decreased leg drive and quad tension

Narrow placement with my feet practically below my spinal erectors while on the balls of my feet allows more leg drive or so it seems but much greater quad tension. Though I do lose some total stability. It does result in a more pronounced back arc. I also bench with a reasonably wide grip. It’s by far my most lacking lift though.

Just curious, is there any heavy lifters out there who have found their way benching on the balls of their feet with reasonable success? Thanks guys!

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Nope, I always bench flat-footed. For me, a medium foot position always for the most optimal combination of stability and drive.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i'm always flat footed, a little bit wider than shoulder width.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    My federation requires flat feet. I have the mobility to pull my feet fairly far back and keep heels down. I keep my legs slightly wide, feet turned out. Gives me the best tension and directionality to my leg drive.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    If you want to have your feet way under you, up on the balls of your feet, you can try going NARROWER with your foot placement and literally hug the bench with your legs. That will up your stability.

Alternatively, you could leave your feet where you have them normally (way up under you) but try turning your toes out more which will afford you more side-to-side stability. I've seen people bench with their toes straight out to the sides (not that I'm recommending that). Depending on how flexible/tall you are this may be very difficult to do though (I can barely do it myself). Worth thinking about anyway though.

Personally I kinda compromise on all aspects. I'm up on the balls of my feet BUT my feet are directly under my knees. So when I'm all settled my heels are juuuuust touching the ground. And I turn my feet out similar to a squat, like 45 degrees. I end up getting a great arch, good leg drive and jussssst enough stability as a result. But someone with different proportions would struggle so like you said, preference and leverages are paramount.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    Personally I'm flat-footed because of my federation rules.

I coach other powerlifters in different feds that bench +1.5 × BW that have great sucess on the balls of feet. They are so many personal variables involved involving anatomy, flexibility, etc...are you working with a coach?

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    damn.. I'm not qualified to answer. I guess stability and drive don't matter for people like me.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    damn.. I'm not qualified to answer. I guess stability and drive don't matter for people like me.

Was not meant like that. The question was geared toward people with many years of practice and adaptation. I didn’t want some joe or Jill coming in and saying that back arch is cheating or leg drive doesn’t work. Was just looking for straightforward input. Several people I work with call me a cheater for using back arch and “proper form” in the gym. So I just wanted to avoid those people.
  • jessef593
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I coach other powerlifters in different feds that bench +1.5 × BW that have great sucess on the balls of feet. They are so many personal variables involved involving anatomy, flexibility, etc...are you working with a coach?

I’m currently not working with a coach. I actually have 3 seperate gym memberships in 3 seperate cities due to the nature of my career. So it’s actually extremely difficult to arrange coaching. Not to mention my home town isn’t exactly a hot spot for real powerlifting coaches. Mostly those planet fitness do sled drives till you die PTs.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    My current federation doesn’t require feet flat but I have trained both ways. However, to do flat I need blocks or plates. I am short and the benches don’t adjust. Mostly have tried both in attempt to figure out leg drive since don’t have a coach either and train by myself. And part of it is just me trying to make sure my feet stay on floor and bum on bench while maintaining my tiny arch. The fun of benching...
  • jessef593
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    My current federation doesn’t require feet flat but I have trained both ways. However, to do flat I need blocks or plates. I am short and the benches don’t adjust. Mostly have tried both in attempt to figure out leg drive since don’t have a coach either and train by myself. And part of it is just me trying to make sure my feet stay on floor and bum on bench while maintaining my tiny arch. The fun of benching...

It’s honestly why it’s my least enjoyed lift. Sure pushing tons of weight is fun, but I find it to be so technical. Unfortunately it’s important and badass

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I’m currently not working with a coach. I actually have 3 seperate gym memberships in 3 seperate cities due to the nature of my career. So it’s actually extremely difficult to arrange coaching. Not to mention my home town isn’t exactly a hot spot for real powerlifting coaches. Mostly those planet fitness do sled drives till you die PTs.

Online is next level. There are some real good ones available last I checked.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2017
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Was not meant like that. The question was geared toward people with many years of practice and adaptation. I didn’t want some joe or Jill coming in and saying that back arch is cheating or leg drive doesn’t work. Was just looking for straightforward input. Several people I work with call me a cheater for using back arch and “proper form” in the gym. So I just wanted to avoid those people.

Well I've certainly got many years and I'm very straightforward..... :wink:

I re-modelled my technique based on the Jennifer Thomson bench tutorial 101 (there's actually a series, 201 etc...).
    Added 10kg to my lift which I thought was an excellent payback just for watching a few videos.
    Can't get anywhere close to her degree of back arch though.

If flat footed is good enough for her then I figure it's good enough for me. She describes it as pushing yourself up the bench - are you achieving that up on the balls of your feet?
    I do think there's room for personal preferences and things like leg length make a difference.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited December 2017
    My federation does not require flat feet. I have done on the toes and flat in competition. Flat, narrow, and toes straight work better for me. This foot placement helps me keep my butt clenched which supports my arch.

I'm 5'3...height, leg length, etc. are all going to factor into foot placement.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Hey, man! Welcome to the jungle! Not sure where you are, but - as mentioned - if you have an Internet connection then take a look at Brian Alsruhe! He has three different "three-part" series on Bench Press, Dead Lift and Squats that I use all the time. The second in the Bench Press Series is specific to what you are asking. Here is that link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-V7WhYct1U

YOU ARE WELCOME! :smiley:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Benching? Proper foot placement?

This guy has it nailed:

eOpOsX1.gif

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited December 2017
    Motorsheen wrote: »

This guy has it nailed:

eOpOsX1.gif

We're talking about foot placement, not safety bar placement. lolol. he's lucky he didnt' kill himself
  • jessef593
    SonyaCele wrote: »

This guy has it nailed:

eOpOsX1.gif

We're talking about foot placement, not safety bar placement. lolol. he's lucky he didnt' kill himself

Well he had the J curve going on at least. But what’s the point of the safety bars if you don’t put the bar on it. Also, does he gain +10 strength points for being shirtless and shoeless?

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »

This guy has it nailed:

eOpOsX1.gif

Well he had the J curve going on at least. But what’s the point of the safety bars if you don’t put the bar on it. Also, does he gain +10 strength points for being shirtless and shoeless?

Those safeties are meant to sit flush up against the uprights. There should not be room for the bar to skip between the two. But too many people don’t take the time to make sure the are flush in contact with each other. About the only reason why I would prefer an Eleiko rack over the er rack is the saddle that actually wraps around the upright and prevents this.