Higher weights, lower reps?

Options
Hamsibian
Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
I think I know the answer to this, but I figured I would ask to make sure. I am doing pretty well with my workout routine, and have made some significant gains. However, there are some workouts that I continue to struggle with (mostly shoulders/laterals).

My sets have been 3x12. Would it be okay to stick with that with some exceptions of higher weights for less reps? Would doing that help to increase strength?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I think I know the answer to this, but I figured I would ask to make sure. I am doing pretty well with my workout routine, and have made some significant gains. However, there are some workouts that I continue to struggle with (mostly shoulders/laterals).

My sets have been 3x12. Would it be okay to stick with that with some exceptions of higher weights for less reps? Would doing that help to increase strength?

Undulating between higher and low reps would be greatly beneficial to gain strength and endurance. There really is no reason to just stick to one rep range.
  • Hamsibian
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thank you @psuLemon! I figured as much, but I read that people gravitate toward specific set/rep ranges for different purposes. That is why I felt unsure.

Now that I think about it, my trainer did give me some examples on how she can't get past certain weights on some workouts with any rep due to joint issues. So she sticks with the lower weights/Higher reps in those cases. It makes sense that the opposite would work also.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you @psuLemon! I figured as much, but I read that people gravitate toward specific set/rep ranges for different purposes. That is why I felt unsure.

Now that I think about it, my trainer did give me some examples on how she can't get past certain weights on some workouts with any rep due to joint issues. So she sticks with the lower weights/Higher reps in those cases. It makes sense that the opposite would work also.

Personally, i start with a rep range and as progress becomes difficult, i modify and will even go through deload cycles.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

That's dependant on what strength you want to increase. Generally speaking, the closer to 1RM you train the more overall strength you'll have.

If you want to be stronger at 12 reps, then train 12 reps.

All in all we can't determine if anything is okay within your programming without knowing your program and recent data specific to you.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    You might try using 8-12 reps.

When you get 3 sets of 12 add weight and work back up to 12 reps on all sets.

Repeat.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Personally, i start with a rep range and as progress becomes difficult, i modify and will even go through deload cycles.

I am glad you said that, because I have read about deload only in passing. I just looked it up, and it appears that I deload every once in a while when my health issues act up. I just thought of them of "bad gym days", but I will try to make deloading more purposeful when I need to.
    Chieflrg wrote: »

That's dependant on what strength you want to increase. Generally speaking, the closer to 1RM you train the more overall strength you'll have.

If you want to be stronger at 12 reps, then train 12 reps.

All in all we can't determine if anything is okay within your programming without knowing your program and recent data specific to you.

I don't want to power lift; I just want to build the muscle and strength I lost when I got sick plus more. I am 5'11", have been on MFP for a while, but really became vigilant about gaining this year when I was 92lbs. I am now at 131, and my goal is to get to 140ish, and reassess from there. I work with a personal trainer, full body sessions 3x a week. 12 reps is what I was given as a baseline, and there are a couple where I do 15 reps. It is working so far. I hope that's the information you were looking for!
    Lean59man wrote: »
    You might try using 8-12 reps.

When you get 3 sets of 12 add weight and work back up to 12 reps on all sets.

Repeat.

Okay, that makes sense too. I am just so used to doing 12 reps, but it might be easier to build up to that. It's good to have options to work with, thank you!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm more interest in strength than size or endurance and work out almost exclusively in the 4x6 or 3x8 (set/rep) range.

The following charts helped me to choose the 6-8 rep range:

https://i1.wp.com/www.strongerbyscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/12752057_10153492667389016_1119053659_o.jpg?resize=593,1024&ssl=1

http://speedendurance.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/strength-muscle-mass-and-endurance-700x4001.jpg

As for sets, total reps around 24 seems best for strength while reps of 30+ lean more towards endurance. However, as the charts indicate, it's not simply a matter of one OR the other.

How many sets/rep you do just depends on what your primary objectives are. Even though my objective is primarily strength, I am also promoting some size and endurance w/my 3x8 or 4x6 approach.

So, OP, just choose the set/rep scheme that works best for you given your goals and objectives.