Social media

Options
Is social media a help or a hinderance when trying to lose weight?
I sometimes feel i compare my journey/weight loss to others when i look on social media or follow diet/weight loss accounts.
Interested to know other peoples view/opinions on this :)

Btw, i am struggling big time to lose weight! Just cannot seem to stay focused and motivated!

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    I like it. It's inspirational. Sometime when I see some others lost the same lbs I did in shorter amount of time it used to bother me, but not any more. We're all different & I'm happy I lost it. What's the hurry?
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I too look for inspiration in many different places, but always take it with a grain of salt. I have a plan and stick too it!
  • rachelpower82
    rachelpower82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Think my problem is i see people do well on so many different plans i keep swapping and changing! I need to be more consistent!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Stick with using MFP only for six months and see how you do.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I keep my weight loss related social media to MFP and a separate Instagram account. I use them for inspiration for food and workouts and because I enjoy supporting others in their journeys but that's just what they are their journeys - as they say "Comparison is the thief of joy".

Bear in mind that in a lot of health and fitness posts, you don't always get the full story of that person's life, it's easy to adopt poses and filters to look slimmer or better built than you actually are and it's easy to present an image of a perfect healthy life which may not necessarily be the case. Much like Facebook someone can post that they are having the most fabulous time in the world but be deeply lonely and depressed behind the keyboard.

When it comes to weight loss the only plan you need to do is one that allows you to remain in a consistent moderate calorie deficit.