Struggling to choose what to eat - want to gain weight.

Options
Hi all,

I am new here so hope someone can give some advice.

19 - 6ft and a mere 64kg which is too light!

Basically I want to gain around 8kg, build some muscle and just improve my thin frame a little.

I had a health scare which lasted 6 months - turned out to be nothing but with other worries as well I lost a little weight (6kg) over a year and right on the cusp of me also changing my diet from a poor processed food diet to one which involved fibre, grains, fruit and veg all of which I had purposely avoided due to my poor diet and little exercise. Both these meant I lost more than I wanted to.

I am most concerned about heart health and cholesterol. I enjoy eating mackerel, salmon and lots of good grains, pulses, rice and vegetables (good carbs basically) but mentally have issues consuming too much saturated fat and worry about it - I don't really know too much about choosing the right foods. Are lots of nuts good with my breakfast, flax seeds?

Try to avoid cheese, bad cuts of red meat where I can - but I need guidance on how to get the right calories as this is a new area for me.

I consume a very small 1400 - 1500 calories at the moment but I need more or I will continue to loose weight.

Am a big fan of good food and used to eat an awful lot more but full of bad food. At high school I consumed 3 x bags of 5 cookies a week, pizzas and french fries nearly every day. I do enjoy the occasional treat like a donut or a cookie still!

The American heart association recommend less than 13g of saturated fat a day?

Any guidance on getting the extra calories would be most appreciated. I understand opinions may vary but I want to try different foods and improve my diet. I would consume saturated fat and I do believe the fact it is not as bad as the media make it out to be. I just find it difficult to think what to eat as this is new to me.

Thanks!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I would work on removing the negative food associations - don't think of food as good or bad, as clearly that's not working for you right now. Avoiding "bad" food is leading to you being undernourished and underweight - maintaining this lifestyle will lead to many health issues.

Achieving a healthy weight should be of your prime concern - doing this with the addition of muscle mass, through starting a progressive lifting program as you eat in a calorie surplus, will be beneficial so you don't just get fat.

You sound like you eat a nutrient dense diet. You can add to this by cooking with olive oil, adding avo, nuts, full fat dairy, more fatty fish, whole eggs etc. Choose carb dense fruit and vegies (starches over stuff like lettuce/zucchini etc). Drink calories between meals - make smoothies with protein powder, fruit, nut butter etc.

If you're still trying to find calories, chuck in some fun food you enjoy - icecream, pizza, burgers, PB&J sammiches, chocolate bars. They aren't evil. You can fit them in to your diet in moderation just fine.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Please listen to @livingleanlivingclean .. you want most of your food choices to be nutritious but do not fear foods (ie. To the above "avoid sugar and processed foods"...no please that is not helpful..) if you continue the negative associations and remain almost underweight consider the health risks there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter...
  • jbvpn
    jbvpn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Please listen to @livingleanlivingclean .. you want most of your food choices to be nutritious but do not fear foods (ie. To the above "avoid sugar and processed foods"...no please that is not helpful..) if you continue the negative associations and remain almost underweight consider the health risks there.
    I would work on removing the negative food associations - don't think of food as good or bad, as clearly that's not working for you right now. Avoiding "bad" food is leading to you being undernourished and underweight - maintaining this lifestyle will lead to many health issues.

Achieving a healthy weight should be of your prime concern - doing this with the addition of muscle mass, through starting a progressive lifting program as you eat in a calorie surplus, will be beneficial so you don't just get fat.

You sound like you eat a nutrient dense diet. You can add to this by cooking with olive oil, adding avo, nuts, full fat dairy, more fatty fish, whole eggs etc. Choose carb dense fruit and vegies (starches over stuff like lettuce/zucchini etc). Drink calories between meals - make smoothies with protein powder, fruit, nut butter etc.

If you're still trying to find calories, chuck in some fun food you enjoy - icecream, pizza, burgers, PB&J sammiches, chocolate bars. They aren't evil. You can fit them in to your diet in moderation just fine.

One of the problems I have is with foods like sausages - very high in sats and i just would much rater eat a large piece of salmon instead.

I also often fancy a donut with jam in or all butter biscuits, but haven't for a while - again the problem is when I eat them - I always think that i'd be better off eating lots of nuts instead.

Am i right in saying the saturated fat found in butter is no better or worse to those in nuts - just the nutrition is better and the other fats found in nuts are beneficial?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    jbvpn wrote: »

One of the problems I have is with foods like sausages - very high in sats and i just would much rater eat a large piece of salmon instead.

I also often fancy a donut with jam in or all butter biscuits, but haven't for a while - again the problem is when I eat them - I always think that i'd be better off eating lots of nuts instead.

Am i right in saying the saturated fat found in butter is no better or worse to those in nuts - just the nutrition is better and the other fats found in nuts are beneficial?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saturated fat or, while we're at it, cholesterol. Only fat I, personally, avoid is trans fat. Fatty cuts of meat are perfectly healthy.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

There is more and more evidence these days that suggest that SFA are not bad for us, especially if it's coming from natural sources like meats, cheese, butters and meats. Where, if any place, you would want to limit (not eliminate) is processed meats. But understand that diet context is what matters. It's ok if you incorporate sausages, pizza, etc... as long as you are also incorporate adequate levels of fiber, plenty of unsaturated fats (especially Omega 3's found in fish), and whole grains/oats.

Being underweight is actually a bigger health risk than eating the foods you fear. And you won't be building any muscle on such a low calorie diet. So if you want to get healthy, pack on some muscle, then eat in the right quantities, follow a structured lifting program, and get adequate nutrients.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having sausages, donuts, butter... all in moderation. My recommendation for you...eat a variety of foods, but not too much of one thing... and you will be fine.
  • jbvpn
    jbvpn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having sausages, donuts, butter... all in moderation. My recommendation for you...eat a variety of foods, but not too much of one thing... and you will be fine.

Do you have a limit for saturated fats still or providing a diet is high in fibre, protein and nutrients (overall balanced) do you not worry about the intake too much?

Sorry if it sounds like I have been poorly influenced by the media and articles but I am only just starting this journey and to me the best advice is from you guys - not scientists claiming something with little evidence.

I really appreciate your time a great deal! :)

• sardelsa
    Options
    I'll be honest.. I don't track my intake. And with my super high calories it would be really hard to stay within some 'limit.' So best I can do is eat a variety of foods .. so lots of different grains, fat sources, vegetables and I switch up my protein sources... mostly fish and white meat, red meat 1-2x per week, legumes, dairy, etc. I do try to stay away from trans fats and too many take out meals, but once and a while it's fine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Do you have a limit for saturated fats still or providing a diet is high in fibre, protein and nutrients (overall balanced) do you not worry about the intake too much?

Sorry if it sounds like I have been poorly influenced by the media and articles but I am only just starting this journey and to me the best advice is from you guys - not scientists claiming something with little evidence.

I really appreciate your time a great deal! :)

Just as an FYI, if you dont eat enough SFA, your body will produce its own.
  • EarthenGuy
    EarthenGuy Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I don't know if this is a new thing on the app but I often get warnings that I'm getting too much of this and that ( carbs, fat, cholesterol, sodium, calcium, etc...). It's a bit unnerving when you're trying to use it to gain weight.
  • Interpol888
    Interpol888 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the above

Get real with your request. If you want to gain weight in bulk on muscle? Eat lots of good healthy, clean food and go to the gym..

Whether you swap light spread with butter is utter nonsense... Eat and lift. Come on Bro