Disproportionate waist size?

Options
2»

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Off topic but I am way worse. 30in hips 27in waist. Even when I was underweight my waist was 27. I have the shape of a 10 year old boy lol. You sound lovely. What exercises did you do to see an effect on waist size?

My waist was small before I started working out but since I've been out of the game I've noticed a big difference when I eat lots of fiber and protein which I was deficient of. Also planks, stomach vacuums, leg lifts, and overall core engagement helps to really tighten your stomach.

Could you describe if the 27inch is fat or not and what you typically eat?

Not fat i can’t grab anything it’s just solid. It sucks because i am at the very bottom of healthy weight and have abs but still have quite a large waist for my size. Like i said shaped like 10 year old boy haha.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Wrist reference guide (although useless without other measurements)

Wrist width is definitely completely useless as a measure of frame size. You could have small limbs but a big ribcage, for example.

OP, at my thinnest I had a 29 inch waist (doubt I could get it lower without getting underweight) and 34 inch hips (with still an inch of fat on that). Now that's disproportionate, but it's unfortunately genetics (so jeans either give me a muffin top or fall off, typically).
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    jaciejaciexoxo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Off topic but I am way worse. 30in hips 27in waist. Even when I was underweight my waist was 27. I have the shape of a 10 year old boy lol. You sound lovely. What exercises did you do to see an effect on waist size?

My waist was small before I started working out but since I've been out of the game I've noticed a big difference when I eat lots of fiber and protein which I was deficient of. Also planks, stomach vacuums, leg lifts, and overall core engagement helps to really tighten your stomach.

A 27 inch waist is not fat. Not even remotely. I have a 26 3/4" waist. Definitely not fat.

I'm more so talking about composition & proportions, not size. 27 in definitely is Not BIG but considering my build & that may waist was 25 while healthy shows that I did put on extra unhealthy fat.

You also have to look at the fact that her hips are only 3in different which is extremely unhealthy. In her case her waist should be smaller or a combination of growing glutes & shrinking waist.

Uh, NO. That is her shape. Some people just have narrow hips. Just like I have a narrow torso. People come in different shapes. Note how she said she was actually underweight at one point and still had a 27" waist?

As for you, you're still growing. My waist was smaller when I was a kid too.

That's true. I've just noticed that often times when people have apple shapes, they have another factor contributing to it. Such as the study on body shape and diet, bc typically a persons ribs don't allow that much expansion when their hips are so small indicating that theres fat accumulation internally and/or externally or enlarged organs. And in most cases their shapes imrpove after countering those factors. But it's true that's not always the case. I just don't know her specifics or lifestyle.

And some of us have genetics working against us.

My arms are 9 inches around. Calves 11.5 inches. Thighs 17.5. Waist 27.5. Hips 34. I swim. I spin. I run. My body likes to hold all of its fat in my torso -- and my mother, my grandmother, and my grandfather were the same way. There's nothing *wrong* with my health that's related to fat storage -- my cholesterol is ideal, and my autoimmune diseases started when I was a toddler, so that's certainly not at play here.

There's no need to spread your body dysmorphia onto everyone else.

I actually love my body. I just know what I look like when I'm healthy & living the lifestyle I'm supposed to. No body dysmorphia over here. Just because I want a toned core doesn't mean I'm mentally ill.

Like I said it's not always the case. Some people just have genetics like that but I'm not predisposed to know anyone's genetic makeup other than my own. Which is why I asked her those questions before I made assumptions.

But still, Anyone could train glutes & legs to even out IF they wished.
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Wrist reference guide (although useless without other measurements)

Wrist width is definitely completely useless as a measure of frame size. You could have small limbs but a big ribcage, for example.

OP, at my thinnest I had a 29 inch waist (doubt I could get it lower without getting underweight) and 34 inch hips (with still an inch of fat on that). Now that's disproportionate, but it's unfortunately genetics (so jeans either give me a muffin top or fall off, typically).

I'm glad you said that. Do you know of any other measurements that would help determine frame size? For example calves, arms, or underbust?
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options

Not fat i can’t grab anything it’s just solid. It sucks because i am at the very bottom of healthy weight and have abs but still have quite a large waist for my size. Like i said shaped like 10 year old boy haha.

My best friend used to be that way too. We started glute training together. You could try that. The heavy weight hip abductions are REALLY good for growing wider in the hip area. It really worked to grow mine (I have stretch marks from loss of mass to account for that) You could still try stomach vacuums which target the transverse abdominis and sort of "pull everything in"
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you, and my (natural) waist when I am lean is about 27". My hips/glutes are about 37-38" and I have decent lat development so I look like more of an hourglass than my measurements would indicate. Measurements alone can be misleading as I have quite a bit of definition in my waist and I am pretty lean.

Have you spoken to your doctor about what kind of training you are able to do? I would work on developing the lower body with resistance training (if you are clear to do so) and definitely gain some weight so eating in a surplus with your stats
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am the same height as you, and my (natural) waist when I am lean is about 27". My hips/glutes are about 37-38" and I have decent lat development so I look like more of an hourglass than my measurements would indicate. Measurements alone can be misleading as I have quite a bit of definition in my waist and I am pretty lean.

Have you spoken to your doctor about what kind of training you are able to do? I would work on developing the lower body with resistance training (if you are clear to do so) and definitely gain some weight so eating in a surplus with your stats

I haven't seen a doc yet but my I am stabilizing. Even though I'm a good weight now my overall goal is to get to 130-140 lean muscle through heavy weight glute training.

I've done some research & along with my experience, it seems weight & resistance training are the best for anemia since I can pace myself and take breaks as needed w/o it affecting gains or fat burning. I still want to get my waist back lean which for me is just under 25in.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I haven't seen a doc yet but my I am stabilizing. Even though I'm a good weight now my overall goal is to get to 130-140 lean muscle through heavy weight glute training.

I've done some research & along with my experience, it seems weight & resistance training are the best for anemia since I can pace myself and take breaks as needed w/o it affecting gains or fat burning. I still want to get my waist back lean which for me is just under 25in.

Just keep in mind, as you put on muscle and with bulk/cut cycles.. you will grow..and this may include your waist (even if you avoid progressive ab movements) so getting back to 25" may or may not be realistic. But it will likely look smaller as your lower body grows. Focus on building muscle, getting stronger and looking your best.. use measurements to guide you but don't use them as a strict goal.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

You keep referencing gaining 10-20lb through glute training. Are you planning on trying to gain all of that weight in one spot? That isn’t really realistic
  • jaciejaciexoxo
    Options

You keep referencing gaining 10-20lb through glute training. Are you planning on trying to gain all of that weight in one spot? That isn’t really realistic

That's understood. I plan on growing my entire lower body w/ focus on glutes.

When I was training before, that's where MOST of my weight was gained. And lifting somehow makes my waist smaller...its only since I've been inactive that my waist has gotten somewhat soft.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you're 19 you likely aren't completely done filling out. I remember I was 19 and one week suddenly my pants were tighter but I had no weight gain. My mom (a health teacher) recognized my hips simply filled out as I finally reached a fully womanly shape.

All told it took from age 9 to 19 to fully pass through puberty. It is a years long process and usually more than 2-3 years.You may have more hips to look for