Bread, bread, glorious bread

Options
jemhh
jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
This isn't a thread about bread being the devil or a lowdown dirty carb. It's about what breads we all love. So spill it--what are your favorite breads?

Yesterday I got a loaf of volkonbrot from a local bakery and hoo boy, do I love it. I mean, it could double as a weapon considering its density and heft, but it is de-licious. I had some this morning with softboiled eggs, and apple, and my morning coffee, and I feel as full as I normally do when I eat those things with a bowl of oats.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    There is a bread made at the grocery store.. its.. called... well its called something LOL
    Anyway its white bread but its a dense fluffy bread with chewy crust.. i just eat it with margarine on it.. only downside is it has no nutritional information lol.. so lord knows what im consuming for reals. I just picked a fun number lol

I also like any circular bread with spinach dip inside.

Edit: and Ciabatta bread lol... and chewy rolls...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    We used to go to this restaurant when I was a teen, and I loved their bread so much. It was a plait, where one third was a dark rye, one was a multigrain and the other was a white sourdough. Breadception. So good.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    scones
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My husband's home-made foccacia and ciabatta are pretty good. My favourite bread for toasted sandwiches is a dense sourdough. And on race days I go for sliced white for my PB&J sandwich. (Mmmmmm, bread...)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I made my own bread for a while but it just started sitting there so I haven't in a while... and I'm tired of scheduling my days around bread proofing lol.

There's a bakery in the area here that makes fantastic bread, but really, most of the time even baguette from the grocery store will do.

Packaged bread? I absolutely love Sarah Lee's artesano bread.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I love a nice dense pumpernickel or rye. There is something about the smell of rye toast. Mmmm...

And @Francl27, I am actually eating that Sara Lee bread right now, toasted with some Wowbutter. LOL
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I love a great crusty French bread, a nice rich sourdough or this amaaaaazing giant cheesy bun that they make at my grocery store. But there are not calorie info on it so I’ve been too affied to buy the cheese buns while I’m trying to lose. If I was told they were 800 calories each I would TOTALLY believe it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Any and all. The cheap and fresh French loaves from any supermarket bakery, those super dense, massive "bagels" with cheese and jalapeno baked on, a big old proper Warburton's crust toasted with butter if I'm home in the UK, lightly grilled pita... mmm breadbreadbread. Oh and those super easy to make Brazilian cheese breads. Yas.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Cheese topped crusty rolls fresh from the oven smothered in butter
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    sourdough. oh goodness. my favourite bar has a plate of sourdough with salted butter for $5 and it is my absolute favourite.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Sourdough! My aunt makes it as a gift at Christmas each year. I've been known to slice, butter, and eat the whole loaf in a day.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much bread since I find it unsatisfying for the calories, but a couple times a year I will demolish a half a loaf of fresh sourdough. I bake bread regularly, usually heavily herbed foccaccia for my husband along with the sourdough, though.

I also adore that really soft, dark, dense rye bread with the seeds, but I've never seen it exactly the same in North America as I liked in Germany so I haven't tried it in years. I should attempt to make it, probably, but I haven't found a recipe I'm willing to trust.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Home made sour dough or a traditional french style country white loaf. That combination of a crispy, shattery crust, and a chewy and dense yet airy interior kills me.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Sourdough, baguettes, bagels, and english muffins are my loves. A lot of restaurants around here make their own white bread and it's pure heaven. Nothing like a big plate of bacon and eggs with perfectly toasted and buttered homemade bread to mop up the yolks. :p
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sourdough, anything crusty on the outside-tender on the inside, and CROISSANTS
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Challah. Best bread ever for french toast.

Dave's White for general purpose every day bread (high calorie but oh so good).
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sourdough or beer bread!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    Sourdough, anything crusty on the outside-tender on the inside, and CROISSANTS

Yeah croissants... yum.

My favorite bread ever is probably Belgian cramique though...

b284f1a1147d942b08fc79e3fd9d4148.jpg

It's an enriched dough with a lot of half melted pearl sugar. So delicious. I make it at home occasionally, but the loaf is gone in about 15 minutes, so yeah...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm such a lightweight - I love those pull apart dinner rolls, lol. My SIL made these glorious pumpkin pull-apart rolls for Turkey Day, they were slightly sweet, and doughy, and with a nice slather of butter they were divine. I would eat dinner rolls at every meal and snack if I had the calories.

Rye and sourdough are my other faves, there is no sandwich that isn't better with one of those two, in my estimation.
  • ys6108
    ys6108 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Ah, bread is my kryptonite! Current favourite is an olive polenta bread from one of the vendors at our local farm market. So good with a bowl of soup!