Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

CICO -- what does it mean?

Options
lemurcat12
lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
Break-off from the holistic medicine thread. Hope this is okay.
«134

Replies

  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    CICO is an eating equation and there are many philosophies on these boards. It's up to you to figure what works for you and I have only seen support.
    What is it you are exactly looking for Lemur? We can all agree there is no magic but hard work depending on what program you choose. What do YOU want....all Mormans aside?
    Do you just want an argument or an answer?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Oh so this is an extension of a debate......got it. I will move on.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    CICO is an eating equation and there are many philosophies on these boards. It's up to you to figure what works for you and I have only seen support.
    What is it you are exactly looking for Lemur? We can all agree there is no magic but hard work depending on what program you choose. What do YOU want....all Mormans aside?
    Do you just want an argument or an answer?

    There have been arguments against CICO brought up in another thread that has nothing to do with CICO or weight loss at all, and I'm just trying to get it out of that thread.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Oh so this is an extension of a debate......got it. I will move on.

    Hence why it's posted in debate and why OP references it being split from a separate thread..,

    Ah ok. I took the question literally and thought that the OP wasn't sure about what the anogram stood for, hence my brief reply. I know its in the debate forum but ppl often post things in forums which they don't seem to belong in.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the "naturally skinny" might be less efficient at converting food to energy. Where does the surplus energy go? By the way of all that the body discards.

    The CI, CO principle still applies. For the skinny trying to gain weight, they have to get more Calories In.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    CICO an energy balance equation that drives weight management.
    CI<CO lose weight
    CI = CO maintain weight
    CI>CO gain weight.

    However, I think what might be more helpful to posters who are confused or laboring under some misconceptions would be a discussion like:

    What does CICO NOT do/mean?

    I will start...
    CICO does not mean that nutrition is unimportant

    CICO does not accurately predict to the decimal what a persons TDEE is - several factors can influence that but as a simplistic equation focusing on weight management and used by a person who can reasonably estimate calorie intake and calorie burn, monitoring and adjusting with real results over a period of time - it is very practical.

    CICO is not a cure for all medical conditions however a number of health benefits can be realized simply by effectively using CICO to achieve a healthy weight.

    I still take a bit of issue with this explanation, especially the last portion "however a number of health benefits can be realized simply by effectively using CICO to achieve a healthy weight".

    This seems to be confusing CICO with calorie counting or some other way of eating. It isn't a way of eating. And, I think the explanation becomes more confused when this is done.

    Except for the first 4 lines, all of this makes more sense if CICO is replaced with Calorie Counting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    CICO an energy balance equation that drives weight management.
    CI<CO lose weight
    CI = CO maintain weight
    CI>CO gain weight.

    However, I think what might be more helpful to posters who are confused or laboring under some misconceptions would be a discussion like:

    What does CICO NOT do/mean?

    I will start...
    CICO does not mean that nutrition is unimportant

    CICO does not accurately predict to the decimal what a persons TDEE is - several factors can influence that but as a simplistic equation focusing on weight management and used by a person who can reasonably estimate calorie intake and calorie burn, monitoring and adjusting with real results over a period of time - it is very practical.

    CICO is not a cure for all medical conditions however a number of health benefits can be realized simply by effectively using CICO to achieve a healthy weight.

    I still take a bit of issue with this explanation, especially the last portion "however a number of health benefits can be realized simply by effectively using CICO to achieve a healthy weight".

    This seems to be confusing CICO with calorie counting or some other way of eating. It isn't a way of eating. And, I think the explanation becomes more confused when this is done.

    Except for the first 4 lines, all of this makes more sense if CICO is replaced with Calorie Counting.

    I think WinoGelato's point is that you can use CICO (the knowledge that weight loss happens if CI is less than CO) to lose weight (or to gain, etc.). You can do that whether you actually count calories or not.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It's what the world would be like, if there wasn't diet magic.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    CICO is an eating equation and there are many philosophies on these boards. It's up to you to figure what works for you and I have only seen support.
    What is it you are exactly looking for Lemur? We can all agree there is no magic but hard work depending on what program you choose. What do YOU want....all Mormans aside?
    Do you just want an argument or an answer?

    There have been arguments against CICO brought up in another thread that has nothing to do with CICO or weight loss at all, and I'm just trying to get it out of that thread.

    Okay....understood now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It's the energy balance equation...nothing more, nothing less.

    When your calories (energy) coming in is less than energy being expended, something has to make up for that deficiency...so you burn stored energy (ie body fat).

    There are certainly things that can affect the CO part of the equation that we may not have much control over...but that doesn't mean the equation is wrong...it just means that you may not fall in line with one of these calculators. I think a lot of people take the numbers these calculators give them as some kind of gospel and they fail to make adjustments as per their actual results.

    Not to mention, when you throw calorie counting into the mix, there's a lot of inherent estimation, and with that comes errors.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    CICO an energy balance equation that drives weight management.
    CI<CO lose weight
    CI = CO maintain weight
    CI>CO gain weight.

    However, I think what might be more helpful to posters who are confused or laboring under some misconceptions would be a discussion like:

    What does CICO NOT do/mean?

    I will start...
    CICO does not mean that nutrition is unimportant

    CICO does not accurately predict to the decimal what a persons TDEE is - several factors can influence that but as a simplistic equation focusing on weight management and used by a person who can reasonably estimate calorie intake and calorie burn, monitoring and adjusting with real results over a period of time - it is very practical.

    CICO is not a cure for all medical conditions however a number of health benefits can be realized simply by effectively using CICO to achieve a healthy weight.

    I still take a bit of issue with this explanation, especially the last portion "however a number of health benefits can be realized simply by effectively using CICO to achieve a healthy weight".

    This seems to be confusing CICO with calorie counting or some other way of eating. It isn't a way of eating. And, I think the explanation becomes more confused when this is done.

    Except for the first 4 lines, all of this makes more sense if CICO is replaced with Calorie Counting.

    I think WinoGelato's point is that you can use CICO (the knowledge that weight loss happens if CI is less than CO) to lose weight (or to gain, etc.). You can do that whether you actually count calories or not.

    Yes, this. In fact I'm often one who is nitpicky in threads clarifying for people that CICO is not a way of eating, nor a synonym for calorie counting. Your interpretation of my meaning is spot on - by using the principles of CICO to achieve a healthy weight - many people have favorable improvements in health markers, etc. Often that is conflated with the types of food they ate to achieve their weight loss - ie claiming that going keto cured (insert ailment du jour here) but in fact, many of the perceived health benefits may have resulted directly from weight loss regardless of the foods eaten along the way.