Lower heart rate training for cyclists or others

Options
It was recommended to me to improve my fitness. I'd like to know if anyone has done that and seen results. I ride a lot of hills because of my location, therefore, I don't have a lot of opportunities to stay within the 65-70% of my max, as a result, I would have to make a conscious effort to workout for longer sessions at lower rates, which isn't easy for me.

Also, I'd like to know if one can rely on their heart rate monitor to estimate their max.

I'd appreciate any advice or information.

Thanks!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The way most athletes learn their max HR is by training a lot and observing the highest value during a hard effort. Formulas that try to predict your maximum are not reliable. (But for training purposes, your max isn't that useful to know; in time you'll want to figure out what your LTHR is and use that for your zones.)

Cycling is a great way to improve your fitness and if you live in a hilly place, it will come quickly.

Riding at low heart rates benefits your health in specific ways. Riding at higher intensities benefits you in different ways. The best thing you can do is exercise at a variety of different intensities, so don't worry about exceeding your target on hills, you're doing fine. (You can change your gearing for about $30 to make the hills easier though.)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Do you have to ride? Why not run for your lower HR training? It's easier to modulate pace/effort over elevation changes and you won't need quite as much road to hit your target duration.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You are rather overthinking this issue. Just ride your bike wherever you are. Cycling on hills automatically offers a variety of resistances and your heart rate will vary. Just do it.

If you want to add sustained HR training, you can jog on the flat. I find that this raises my HR near max anyway.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    brig220 wrote: »
    It was recommended to me to improve my fitness. I'd like to know if anyone has done that and seen results. I ride a lot of hills because of my location, therefore, I don't have a lot of opportunities to stay within the 65-70% of my max, as a result, I would have to make a conscious effort to workout for longer sessions at lower rates, which isn't easy for me.

Also, I'd like to know if one can rely on their heart rate monitor to estimate their max.

Thanks!

As others have responded, keeping a low HR on hills is not really something to worry about. If you have hills around you, just ride 'em!

With that said, many athletes who train for endurance sports use HR zone training to allow them to build up endurance safely. By performing 80-85% of their training at low intensity (65-70% of max), athletes can achieve significant gains in endurance training over a block of training time, while minimizing the risk of overtraining symptoms and injuries. Higher intensity training, such as track workouts, cycling hill repeats, swimming sprints, etc., then comprise only about 15% of overall training volume.

Lots of good sources for more information if you want to learn more. One that comes to mind is Joe Friel's book "Fast After Fifty" which provides a fairly thorough explanation of this concept, particularly as it applies to athletes in middle age and beyond.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Do you live in CO? (that picture looks like the Flat Irons near Boulder) If so I totally understand where you are coming from. Our "hills" are freaking intense.

I do heart rate training at home on the trainer. It also gives me a way to say on the bike through the winter.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It was recommended to me to improve my fitness.
    Good recommendation it's a sport/pastime/hobby that's very varied and has rides and events to suit (almost!) everyone.

I'd like to know if anyone has done that and seen results.
    I've always had a cycle but only got into cycling seriously in my early 50's. I was fit with a resting HR about 60 - 65 but now I'm very fit with a resting HR of 48, lifetime lowest.
    Still setting PB's at 57, never cycled as far as I have this year, I do long distance events called Audax but mostly I ride solo exploring lovely countryside.

I ride a lot of hills because of my location
    Me too - great for training, views and challenges.

therefore, I don't have a lot of opportunities to stay within the 65-70% of my max,
    You don't need to.

I would have to make a conscious effort to workout for longer sessions at lower rates, which isn't easy for me.
    Long slow rides are the foundation of cycle fitness, it's where you should start. Interval training and higher intensity work is good but it builds on basic fitness.

No. But why do you want to know it anyway?
    Got mine tested and it's an awful experience if you are very determined. You push to the point of absolute failure - not the point you feel is hard. Took three days to recover from.
    It's likely quite different to the highest HR you commonly see when riding or training.
    But TBH don't see why you need to know it?

Don't over complicate it, fitness isn't as complex as you are making it until you get to a high level.
    Enjoy your rides.
    Join Strava.
    Get someone to help you with a bike fit - it makes a huge difference.
    Buy good cycle shorts.
    Practice fixing punctures before you have too.
    If you intend exploring new areas then a navigation/training aid such as a Garmin makes a huge difference.
    There's plenty of training plans available if you prefer to follow a structured plan towards a particular goal.

• NorthCascades
    Options
    I'll go ahead and second the recommendation to join Strava, people find it very motivating. Also great advice about being fit and learning to fix a flat tire.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    brig220 wrote: »

Thanks!

I ride 14 hours a week. There are so many ways to get fit. But 65-70% of max HR all the time will do very little unless you are untrained, after 8-10 weeks in fact you will make no gains unless you increase volume. I have research where they did exactly what your are describing. Pro cyclists train like this but ride 30 hours a week, it works and might actually be ideal BUT you still need hard days. 40 minutes a week of 90% of max HR is a good balance of hard for high level riders.

Research/google these two things

Threshold and Sweet spot training. This is a good training program, I used it all winter 2015-2016 and got really strong.

But polarized training is another form of training, someone outlined it above.

Both work, both a different. Research both.

I prefer sweet spot in the winter as it's perfect for the trainer.

I prefer polarizaed training as it perfect for groups and bigger summer volume. And rolling varied terrain.

Sticking to 65-70 all the time will only work for a while and sounds truely awful all the time.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    There's really no need to make it complex. Go out and ride, have fun. The hills and the wind will provide intervals. You'll try to avoid them when possible, like most cyclists, and that will give you a well rounded bunch of exercise.
  • brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I fully appreciate all of your feedback. I was just curious to see if anyone had tried that slow HR training and had seen results. This issue is that my HR goes up really fast and really high, despite riding a lot, and a trainer suggested to incorporate slow HR training as part of my routine.

@DX2JX2DX2JX2 I wish that I could run/jog, but sadly I have osteoarthritis in the knees, even hiking is painful.

@BusyRaeNOTBusty, I do live in Boulder CO, noticed from your profile that you are right down the road.

@NorthCascadesNorthCascades, I know how to change a flat, and had to use my kills a few times when alone :smile:

@jlklemjlklem, "Sticking to 65-70 all the time will only work for a while and sounds truely awful all the time." I so agree, diversity is really the key. I'll look at your recommendations.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    @brig220 Nordic skiers are the fittest people on earth, and do 80 to 85 % of their training at moderate intensities.