Greek yogurt

Options
So lately I've been having a dannon lite and fit greek yogurt with my breakfast and until recently I never really paid attention to the ingredients because it was what everyone had suggested I buy. Today I noticed that it had artificial sweeteners in it (sucralose). Does anyone know of any that don't have any artificial sweeteners or is it not as serious as everyone makes it seem? I was thinking of trying Chobani but the ingredients seem weird I can't pronounce like 1/2 of them and everyone always said that was bad too.

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Usually the organic ones are just milk and bacteria. you can find the ones without gelatin too. plain will not have any sweeteners.

I eat Liberté, the organic plain one, not sure if its available where you live.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Look for ones that are organic? All of the organic ones in our supermarket seem to be the lowest cals and the more 'natural' ingredients.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What about plain chobani or fage? Then add some fruit if you're anal about sweeteners
  • acwells100
    Options
    I eat the Chobani because it is made of only natural ingredients and I have to say, I LOVE it!!! It's creamy and delicious while being good for you (double win!) I like to have them at any of the day too-good to have with breakfast, to pack in a lunch or to have for a dessert after dinner. And all of the flavors are delicious! :)
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I looked at the Fage 0% fat yogurt. Ingedients: Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei).

It was highly recommended on an 'eat this not that' segment. The sweetened fruit ones they said are loaded with sugar.

It's really good with a table spoon of honey on it. *yeah I know adding sugar but points because its natural?

My favorite is with strawberries and abut of granola yum!!!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i love fage greek yogurt
  • JeffersJJ
    JeffersJJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Chobani is the best, in my opinion. It has exactly the number of carbs and protein in each cup for me to eat it with about six almonds or pistachios to make a meal/snack. Also, it tastes great and has none of that bogus stuff that Dannon and Yoplait like to put in their excuses for yogurt.
  • 123im4u2c
    Options
    I like both Chobani and Oikos, either one will do for me!
    There both rich and creamy , have a large variety to choose from,
    and are very satisfying! I find that if I drink a bottle of 16.9 ozs of water, and then eat one
    I'm good to go!!! I also have gotten into the habit of having 20 raw almonds about a half hour before meals!
    You'll find this old trick will help you push your plate away, and eat less! Eating the almonds a half hour before meals,
    gives your brain time to let your stomach know it has had food! When you sit down, you will not be ravished!
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    Options
    Chiobano, piece of fruit, 3-4 almonds, lg glass of ice water makes a great lunch and holds me till dinner!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Siggi's Skyr -- not Greek yogurt, but similar -- doesn't have chemical additives and has very little (but all natural) sweeteners. It won't taste like Dannon or Yoplait, though. It's an acquired taste.
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So lately I've been having a dannon lite and fit greek yogurt with my breakfast and until recently I never really paid attention to the ingredients because it was what everyone had suggested I buy. Today I noticed that it had artificial sweeteners in it (sucralose). Does anyone know of any that don't have any artificial sweeteners or is it not as serious as everyone makes it seem? I was thinking of trying Chobani but the ingredients seem weird I can't pronounce like 1/2 of them and everyone always said that was bad too.

I avoid sucralose, but then again I have IBS.
    I say plain greek yogurt with a spoonful of Nutella. Yum!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    What about plain chobani or fage? Then add some fruit if you're anal about sweeteners

Fage, 0% fat is really tasty. Throw in some blueberries and strawberries - delicious!
  • happydispatcher
    happydispatcher Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For those of us in small towns with zero access to organic items, or access but not within budget I buy the chobani plain fatfree greek. It is the best when adding heat to it. I put it in with my oatmeal in the morning along with fruit.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use fage.

If you are getting proper plain greek yoghurt you're probably going to have to sweeten with something because it's no fun to eat it on it's own.

I add dark chocolate and almond butter.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Note* If you like a thicker more creamy consistancy, Fage is the way to go for plain yogurt ( the 0%). It's closer to real Greek in that its strained which is why it is thicker than chobani and the others.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly like Fage 0% on its own, but maple syrup totally changes the flavour and texture for me, and makes it smooth and softens the slightly chalky edge it can have.
    Just half a tablespoon in 100g makes all the difference.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I also love the plain chobani. It taste great with frozen blueberries and even better with a few raw nuts.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I make my own, but I know a lot of people swear by Fage. I used it as my starter when I made my first batch of yogurt and had an extra one on hand (in case I messed up with the first one) and it was delicious. If you want to try making your own, you just heat up some milk until almost boiling, then cool it down to about 100-110 degrees, then add some regular plain yogurt (I use about 1 cup per half gallon of milk). I store it in mason jars on the counter for 8-24 hours (depends on how tangy you want it) then put in the fridge for a few hours and use. Then just strain it in some cheese cloth for a few hours if you want it thick like greek yogurt. I make a gallon at a time since I make frozen mint chocolate chip yogurt, eat yogurt with honey regularly, and use it as a replacement for sour cream, cream cheese, and heavy cream. I'll usually strain half and keep the other half thinner. I definitely prefer the texture and taste of homemade, but my husband doesn't like it at all. He likes it sweeter, even if he adds honey or fruit. Still it's fun to try if you have some spare time!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you really want healthy, take plain chobani or fage and add your own fruit. I'm lazy though and been buying the fruit kind lately... but frankly it doesn't fill you up half as much for the calories.
  • BurningAway
    Options
    Have you had any problem with it? Does it mess up your tummy? If not why change your yogurt? I love greek yogurt light and fit has less calories then most of them i havent tried chobani of course ive also never had any problem with dannon :)