I have a question please

Options
Can I count the water for my coffee as water intake for the day, or just plain water?

Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can count anything you'd like as water. All the liquids you ingest (including those in food) impact your overall hydration (except for alcohol).
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yes. And soda, and juice, and tea, and....
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    There is no consensus. Some do, some do not because of the diuretic effect of the caffeine in coffee. If you drink liquids to the color (concentration) of urine you desire as a reflection of hydration status, you don't have to worry where those liquids are coming from.

One example of the urine color vs. hydration level charts you can find online: https://dripdrop.com/blogs/news/chart-dehydrated
  • amyjstaiewolfe
    amyjstaiewolfe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness. Thank you so much. I read somewhere that you need half your body weight in ounces. That would mean I need 127.5 oz. Making me so sick to my stomach and without counting other liquids the highest I have gotten is 80 oz.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thank goodness. Thank you so much. I read somewhere that you need half your body weight in ounces. That would mean I need 127.5 oz. Making me so sick to my stomach and without counting other liquids the highest I have gotten is 80 oz.

Unless you have a medical condition that you haven't shared yet, drinking to thirst is usually sufficient. There's no need to force liquid down. The hydration chart @grinning_chick posted above may be a good place to start -- see where you fall there and then make any adjustments you think may be necessary.
  • amyjstaiewolfe
    Options
    I don't have any medical conditions that would me to take in extra fluid. Thank you so much. I am starting out with a goal of 1/2 a pound a week for a goal, so I don't get discouraged. That is proving to be difficult for me to eat that much because I don't eat much usually.
  • amyjstaiewolfe
    Options
    Thank you for your help everyone. Please feel free to send me a friend request. I could use all the support I can get. Thank You
  • amyjstaiewolfe
    Options
    thank you everyone for the help
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I don't have any medical conditions that would me to take in extra fluid. Thank you so much. I am starting out with a goal of 1/2 a pound a week for a goal, so I don't get discouraged. That is proving to be difficult for me to eat that much because I don't eat much usually.

If you're in a spot where you have weight to lose (and that's why many of us, including me, came here in the first place), you shouldn't have any issues eating to your goal. Have you eliminated a lot of higher calorie foods from your diet? That's why some people think they have problems eating enough at first.
  • amyjstaiewolfe
    Options
    My dr. had me do a food journal. My calorie intake was around considerably below 1000 calories a day. About 600 actually. I am very seldom hungry.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My dr. had me do a food journal. My calorie intake was around considerably below 1000 calories a day. About 600 actually. I am very seldom hungry.

Do you weigh everything you eat with scales?
  • amyjstaiewolfe
    Options
    they have run several tests over the years and all is good so they say. I am 4' 11" tall and weigh 255
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

So you've gone to the opposite extreme of eating way too much, to way too little.
  • amyjstaiewolfe
    Options
    yes and I have been like this for several years.
  • amyjstaiewolfe
    Options
    I only drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning and I gave up diet soda 2 years ago.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    they have run several tests over the years and all is good so they say. I am 4' 11" tall and weigh 255

Congratulations on starting your MFP weight loss plan. At that height, your recommended ideal weight is more than 100 lbs down from where you are now, therefore you could aim for 1lb per week rather than 1/2 lb. Are you hoping that your water consumption level would be the major component of your plan? Maybe you need to include regular exercise along with your drinking and calorie counting.