How to deal with calorie adjustments

aeloine
aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
24/F/5'7"/224lbs - set to sedentary but have a FitBit for occasional work outs

I've been tracking seriously since last May, only taking a break for an international vacation where I did not have internet access. Came back, and just passed 125 days of logging. I've lost over 40 pounds since March, averaging *just* over a pound a week. I'm comfortable with that rate of loss, not really trying to speed it up.

I took a diet break, and reached a nice new low after. But then I started yo-yoing two/three pounds up/down. Have just been hanging out here since October 16th, maintaining between 223 and 225. I do well at the beginning of the week, stick to my calories, drop 1 or 2 pounds and then gain it back over the latter half of the week. It's not a plateau, this really is my fault. I'm eating back my deficit.

Mind you, I'm not really going out, I'm just *hungry*. I track everything by weighing it on the scale, understand why I'm regaining, am REALLY familiar with the MFP flow chart. My issue is that once I drop down to ~222-223, I just get So. Hungry.

At the top of the weight loss, I was losing on 1800-2000 calories a day, which was GREAT, but I'm no longer at 100 pounds to lose. Probably closer to 60-75 lbs to go, so my "wiggle room" is starting to decrease. 1,500 calories/day is just not as filling as 1,800-2,000.

I've been working on making sure that I get enough fiber (chia seeds, oats, granola, muesli) and protein (eggs, tofu, beans, chicken, turkey) to stay full longer, have tried multiple meals a day; one big meal a day; volume eating; the whole shebang. Now I just feel like a complainy-pants poster, but I'm really struggling with dropping my calories down.

TL;DR: How did you guys deal with those periodic calorie adjustments?

Replies

• aeloine
    Thanks you guys. That's probably the best course of action. I'm just frustrated at myself, needed a rant, and my friends are sick of hearing about this :wink:
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    You're the chart lady so I'm sure you've got that down lol.

If I were in your spot I think I'd up my burn a bit to give me more calories to eat. No so much that it increases my hunger but enough for an extra snack.
  • aeloine
    You're the chart lady so I'm sure you've got that down lol.

If I were in your spot I think I'd up my burn a bit to give me more calories to eat. No so much that it increases my hunger but enough for an extra snack.

That's the tricky thing though, no? :s
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Have you thought about a mid week maintenance day timed for the day before the hungries usually set in?
  • aeloine
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Have you thought about a mid week maintenance day timed for the day before the hungries usually set in?

I hadn't, actually!
  • aeloine
    aeloine wrote: »

I hadn't, actually!

;)

Suggesting that rather than the two day refeed protocol, since you still have a bit to lose, so your leptin levels shouldn't have dropped too far (and you just recently had a diet break to reset them). So maybe that plus a diet break every 8-10 weeks will do the trick for now. One day will also cut into your deficit less so you should still get ~1 lb per week loss, and it will give you a psychological break. I found with refeeds that knowing I had more cals to look forward to at the weekend made sticking to a deficit during the week much easier.

Thanks for this. Very solid advice. The psychological part can be harder than the physical part at times.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

I hadn't, actually!

;)

Suggesting that rather than the two day refeed protocol, since you still have a bit to lose, so your leptin levels shouldn't have dropped too far (and you just recently had a diet break to reset them). So maybe that plus a diet break every 8-10 weeks will do the trick for now. One day will also cut into your deficit less so you should still get ~1 lb per week loss, and it will give you a psychological break. I found with refeeds that knowing I had more cals to look forward to at the weekend made sticking to a deficit during the week much easier.

Thanks for this. Very solid advice. The psychological part can be harder than the physical part at times.

Indeed it can! Especially at this time of year, for people more sociable than me. Part of this whole thing is recognising patterns, and employing strategies to deal with them. If taking one day out, in a controlled manner, allows you to stick to a deficit the rest of the time, it's worth it IMHO for the really quite small slowing of weight loss. When you math it out and realise that 500 cals is only 1 lb less over 7 weeks, it doesn't seem like such a big deal.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I took a break by increasing my calories 500 per day for two weeks, and backing off the exercise some. I still lost but a little less and felt a lot better. (I was on a 1000 cal deficit). I went back to a 750 cal deficit but didn't like it. I did not want to stay at 500 cal. deficit because I found myself eating high calorie snacks (going back to old pre weight loss habits). I then just manually upped my calories 150, so I'm at 600 calorie deficit and that is working well for me.

So you may not even need to move it up 250 calories if you take a break. I also reinstated the "cheat day" once a week, which is "permission" to eat more than my deficit and usually it's about 500 calories on that day.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2017
    It’s only a single data point, but I have found doing a 6/1 or 5/2 day deficit to maintenance split to be exceptionally doable. It came up kind of out of necessity for me, as going out to eat was a big thing I didn’t want to cut, but after maybe 10 months solid deficit I have found myself not running into many of the psychological or physical effects that are often mentioned on the boards.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    I think each step down takes some getting use to. Just like the first day you cut your calories and it sucks I’d think each step down has that same leading curve for your body to get use to.
  • aeloine
    It’s only a single data point, but I have found doing a 6/1 or 5/2 day deficit to maintenance split to be exceptionally doable. It came up kind of out of necessity for me, as going out to eat was a big thing I didn’t want to cut, but after maybe 10 months solid deficit I have found myself not running into many of the psychological or physical effects that are often mentioned on the boards.

I think that this is the general consensus. My next major goal is to lose 10 pounds In 13 weeks so *strategic* breaks like that actually seem like the best game plan.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    All things being equal, my suggestion is to modify what you eat so that you can eat more of it, stay under your calories, and not be so hungry. It was tough for me as well. I'm lucky that I'm 6'2" tall but because I am bigger I generally have a bigger appetite as well. I had to re-learn how to make most of my recipes, learn to eat new foods, and learn to give up some things like sugar (I don't avoid it necessarily, just don't add it if a sugar free option is available), learned to bake more stuff instead of fry, and learned to use new methods to cook things on the stove top (for instance with less oil or butter). I generally substitute cauliflower for rice, and sometimes even potatoes. I learned to like salads with lower calorie vinegar/oil based dressings. There are many ways to accomplish the goal. I may be taller but you're lucky that you're 5'7" tall, it'll be easier for you than someone who is 5'2" tall for sure. Also, you can increase your exercise schedule to take care of some of the excess calories.

I guess my .02 is adjust your life to fit what you need to eat to be happy. Don't try and out exercise a bad diet, but with adjustments here and there regular exercise can make things much easier to handle. In the winter I do 100% of my exercise inside 4-5 days a week and manage to burn up to 1000 calories on those days so it can be done.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    I counted my macros for a.while instead of calories. It took 10 days to lose one pound instead of a week but I was full the entire time. I was always low.on fat and carbs and had to eat toast lol. The Lean Muscle Diet by Lou Schuler breaks it down and there are some great workouts in it as well.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Can you exercise more or do anything to increase your NEAT? Maybe just adding some quick walks throughout the day or standing while you work?
  • aeloine
    edited December 2017
    Can you exercise more or do anything to increase your NEAT? Maybe just adding some quick walks throughout the day or standing while you work?

I actually DO have a standing desk at work, so that's helped some. Actual exercise is tricky... there's a fine line between eating back exercise calories and eating too many calories because I exercised.

But I do hit up Zumba classes a couple of times a week and swim laps on some off days. Very much more leaves me feeling munchier than when I started.