Anybody tried snow shoeing?

Options
Winter is moving in here in New England- I love walking wooded trails in a local state park but snow is moving in. So- my sister and I are thinking about getting snow shoes so we can continue to walk the trails. Any snow shoeing enthusiasts out there? I normally walk around 3 miles, but I'm thinking this would be much tougher with snow shoes- any thoughts?

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Much tougher! I can walk and run for miles but depending on the depth of the snow I can get worn out pretty quickly on a hike. I live in Manitoba and our snow is not deep enough yet but it will come...

I know you didn’t ask but a few thoughts...
    -buy snowshoes that fit your weight or are towards a higher- never lower- weight range.
    -poles are awesome if the snow you are in is deep and you have a chance of falling down or needing help getting up after making snow angels.
    -pay attention to the direction of the wind and dress/pack appropriately. I get really sweaty when I hike and have to be aware of the temp and the wind. If I turn around into the wind I can risk frostbite or cooling off too quickly. Lots of thin layers to remove and add are the best. Think merino, fleece, then a windbreaker, possibly down vest as top layer, fleecy tights with a wind resistant pair on top, earband/touque/scarf combo, etc.
    -you will still get thirsty, even though it is cold outside.
    -if you are on deep snow and fall through the top crust to find fine powder underneath it can be very difficult to get back on top. Log rolling to an area with less depth looks rediculous but is far easier than slogging thorough hip deep snow while wearing snowshoes or trying to remove your snowshoes.

Have fun!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    See if you can rent some to try them out. I went years ago when I lived in upstate NY and hope to try again this winter in WA. It’s harder than walking but not at all difficult to get the hang of it. Have fun!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The downside to slowshoes is they're heavy, and big. They force you to walk at an unnaturally wide gait, and a pound on your feet is like ten on your back. So they exhaust you more quickly than regular walking.

The upside is they let you go where regular walking can't take you. Winter is gorgeous, in a very austere kind of way, and it's much nicer to be out among the snow-covered trees than inside eating Dorritos.

Some things to please be aware of: The cold, duh. Moving will keep you warm, but you'll get very cold when you stop. Especially if you work up a sweat, so try not to. And, because of the cold and the short days, make damn sure you don't get lost. In wind, and sometimes at random, a tree limb will drop all the snow and ice it's been holding, try not to get hit.

Tree wells can be very dangerous:

screen-shot-2017-01-04-at-10-09-46-am-min.png

Snow bridges can also be dangerous. You can avoid most of them if you have a map by not crossing over streams, which tend to melt the snow from below. They'll be more of a problem in the spring.

Avalanches are rare in New England, but, still, be aware of what's above you.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and relevant information- trying to rent a pair first is probably a good idea. My only concern really is of being in/on very deep snow- this kind of freaks me out. I'm 60 so not as agile as I used to be. :p
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I enjoy snowshoeing - have only done it a few times though. If you have an REI near you they do classes on it. I know at one of the parks here in WA they do a ranger led show shoe for beginners - might want to see if anywhere near you offers that. I just went with some other people who had been a few times before to a popular show shoe area.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Manitoba, I used to snow shoe and cross country ski quite a bit. :)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I did it a little last Winter. We haven’t gotten much snow for a couple years, though. I tried my snowshoes on a flat trail and it was great. It was a workout, for sure. I got very warm after I got going. It does force you to have a wide stride and I really felt it the next day. Awesome calorie burn. I’m looking forward to getting out there this year if we get some snow.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I enjoy snowshoeing - have only done it a few times though. If you have an REI near you they do classes on it. I know at one of the parks here in WA they do a ranger led show shoe for beginners - might want to see if anywhere near you offers that. I just went with some other people who had been a few times before to a popular show shoe area.

Paradise, at Mount Rainier. They even lend you the snowshoes. Great way to try it and see if you like it.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I second the motion to rent first and try them. I love cross country skiing but, I went snow shoeing just once. Hated it. It's a very unnatural gait you have to use... I walked about twenty steps and I was exhausted. So count me in the "never again" category. Hopefully you will enjoy it more than I did.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Modern snow shoes are very light and not as cumbersome as the old ones. Their purpose is to float you on top of deep snow. They are useless on shallow snow.
  • lorrpb
    Options

Paradise, at Mount Rainier. They even lend you the snowshoes. Great way to try it and see if you like it.

Also at Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Modern snow shoes are very light and not as cumbersome as the old ones. Their purpose is to float you on top of deep snow. They are useless on shallow snow.

They are also a lot narrower than the old ones.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    once my dog discovered it's easier to walk behind me on a broken trail, is keeping her from upending me by standing on my tails.
    u2s8ibp6oo4o.jpg
    @Rocknut53 Howling at that visual. I know I shouldn't. Pictured you tipped over the edge of that little ridge in front of the hound.

Yes Modern Snow Shoes with the Aluminum Frames and Nylon/Leather Solid Webs are lighter and much easier on the body. Poles are a must, they help with balance and especially if you trip/fall for any reason. Check out the local sporting goods stores they might even host or know of some organization that host's a Learn To type class/session. A great way to meet some other people in the area interested in the same activity.
  • Joannetv1960
    Joannetv1960 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live in New Brunswick and snowshoeing is very enjoyable. There is a lot of places that groomed trails so you can go on packed snow. Nice to get out in the woods on a winter day.
    It is more work than regular walking but not too difficult. I do like using polls.
    You might try googling your area to see if they have groomed trails.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ME I GO EVERY SINGLE DAY!! LOVE IT!! SO Fun and if your good at it, start running in them and do hills!, such a high burn!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've climbed Wachussets a couple times with snowshoes
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Avalanches are rare in New England, but, still, be aware of what's above you.

You might be surprised, but avalanches happen all the time in the White Mountains. A couple trails are closed almost all winter due to avalanche risk. But they are very localized.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I hope OP doesn't mind me jumping in. I have what might be a silly question. If I'm on an already broken and/or packed trail, do snowshoes still serve a purpose? We have a couple of beautiful state parks that I like to use in winter after hunting season is over, but it's not untamed wilderness. Also, if I wanted to use my shoes (a gift) to good advantage what kind of terrainshould I visit /where should I go (locally)? I'm in western NYS if anyone knows the area.

I use the same trail most of the time because it's right out my front door. After new snow I'll use my snowshoes for a couple trips to break and pack my trail. After that the snow is usually firm enough to walk on. Then we get new snow and it starts all over again. I've found the deer, elk, coyotes and the occasional mouintain lion love my trails, lazy critters! Or way smarter than me!