Safe to do 1000 calories?

I am petite (5 ft tall) and i currently weigh 152.6 pounds. I have lost 9 pounds so far while having on 1200 calories. My maintenance calories suggested is 1670 calories to not lose any weight. If i keep my diet to 1200 calories then my weekly calorie loss would be 3290 calories only, meaninf that I won’t even lose a pound per week. I wanted to lose 1.5 pounds but then that would mean to have 1000 calories. Is it okay thing to do? I want to lose my fat, not muscles!

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    What is your activity level? The maintenance seems low as I am 4’11” but maintain on 1800 calories and still try to not go under 1300 when eating in a deficit.

Are you doing any weight training or other physical activities?
  • ayshakool
    ayshakool Posts: 16 Member
    I have lost 9 pounds in 7 weeks. I just have started to go to gym (doing stationary bike for 30 mins give me 100 calories). I got a baby so i cant make to gym every day sadly. I dont have any personal trainer either! Jist giving it a try on my own. I am hypothyroid patient. I was used to be pretty skinny (100 pounds) five years back but all of sudden, i gained weight. And i got to know about my thyroid issue three years later. I have been taking medicine for it and its under control now. And since i have had baby, i didnt get chance to work on my diet plan. Now i have started it and i am happy to see the results. I would love to lose it all fast; i know that slow weight loss is the best in the long run. Thanks
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited December 2017
    No, it’s not safe, and no, you don’t need to do it. I’m just under 5 feet tall and lost weight on 1200 calories plus exercise. You do not need to eat fewer than 1200 net calories.
  • julie3461
    julie3461 Posts: 65 Member
    edited December 2017
    According to MyFitnessPal, "For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men." You'll get this message if you try to complete a daily entry and your calories are not enough. Although, 1000 is pretty low and hard to maintain in my opinion. I would just up your workout to burn an extra 100+ as oppose to cutting calories.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    No, not healthy, not sustainable.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    julie3461 wrote: »
    According to MyFitnessPal, "For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men." You'll get this message if you try to complete a daily entry and your calories are not enough. Although, 1000 is pretty low and hard to maintain in my opinion. I would just up your workout to burn an extra 100+ as oppose to cutting calories.

where are you getting that info. for men it should be no less than 1500 net. and for women no less than 1200 and thats for those who are very short,sedentary or elderly or a combo of the 3.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    ayshakool wrote: »
    I am petite (5 ft tall) and i currently weigh 152.6 pounds. I have lost 9 pounds so far while having on 1200 calories. My maintenance calories suggested is 1670 calories to not lose any weight. If i keep my diet to 1200 calories then my weekly calorie loss would be 3290 calories only, meaninf that I won’t even lose a pound per week. I wanted to lose 1.5 pounds but then that would mean to have 1000 calories. Is it okay thing to do? I want to lose my fat, not muscles!

nope, with only a few pounds left to lose you should be aiming to slow down your weight loss, not increase it.