I love nutritional info on products

Options
I know it was a huge expense and trouble for the food industries to start putting all the nutritional info on products and I know they aren't always accurate but I am so happy they are there.

Last night I was hungry for a snack. I had a couple hundred spare calories and had exercised a lot so I figured I could have a little something. My hubby had some popcorn balls. Gee how bad could that be? Turns out real bad. I read the package and about fell over.

385 calories with 23 g of sugar! Yikes. The extra lemon pie he had, 420 calories with 32 g of sugar. Brother. Opted for a jolly time 90 calorie bag of popcorn instead.

That label has saved me dozens of times. How bout you?

Replies

• blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I love that restaurants are now getting on the bandwagon of posting their calorie info. chains are easy since a lot of them post online (although when you are there, that info isn't always at your fingertips). McDonalds now have the calorie info for fries on the container, and when I was in NYC a few months ago so many places had the nutritional info on the menu! makes eating out so much simpler.
  • bikinibrooke123
    Options
    Yes. I went to the movie theater once,and my cousin had bought these chocolate chip cookie dough bites that were as small as a sqooshed rasin. For 3 bites they were 570! For 2 380. And 1 190. I just ate a few gummy worms and a special K bar:)
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My brother took my nephew to McDonald's and he had the McNugget Happy Meal. When he was finished, I looked at the package and was floored by the calories in such a small meal! It was close to 500 for 4 nuggets and small fries.

For 300 calories yesterday I had 2 filets of salmon and 1c. of cauliflower and felt better than having a fast food meal.

It's really astonishing when you actually read the labels - what always surprises me still is how small portions really are.
  • CarolinaGirl74
    Options
    I agree totally and I have a different view as well...My 9 year old son is severely allergic to milk and eggs since he was a baby and so the ingredient list is so vital...grocery shopping does take a bit longer but I have to do it and I dont mind a bit to ensure his safety. A few years ago the FDA really cracked down on food labeling and I am so grateful! It has helped me also see what all they do put in food...makes you not want to eat! I pray that he will outgrow this...We do have healthier eating habits due to this and I try to keep a positive spin on things for him but he is soooo good about it and so careful. It is amazing what I come across that has milk or eggs in it....I have found suckers that have milk in them! Anyway, enjoyed your post!:wink: