Slimming world

Is slimming world a good way to loose a stone? Struggling to do anything else and heard good reviews

Replies

• kittyk158
    kittyk158 Posts: 3 Member
    I've been on and off it more times than I can remember but I did manage to lose 2 stone when I started in March last year. I then lost another 2 stone on a VLCD. I needed to get my BMI under 30 so I can have IVF treatment which I have achieved and now I just need to maintain my weight until my appt.
    Slimming World does work but I feel, now that I am more aware and educated about nutrition, it isn't the best way as there are a lot of free foods (that you can eat unlimited amounts of) that include pasta, potatoes, rice, low fat yoghurts etc so there is no calorie control.
    As you are looking to lose a smaller amount than me, you probably will find it quite easy to follow and it will probably work for you. It just wasn't working for me and I couldn't have continued long term.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    It teaches you marketing bollocks and has weird syns/points/free foods systems which have naff all to do with nutrition in the real world. And then when you plateau (because you will) they will feed you more marketing nonsense to get you to sign up again.

You're on MFP. Log accurately, and eat less.
  • rsergeant79
    rsergeant79 Posts: 45 Member
    9 stone lost doing slimming world - I disagree that it teaches you nothing - it teaches you to cook healthy/nutritious meals from scratch rather than relying on ready meals which I was guilty of in the past :)
  • rianneonamission
    It doesn't teach you the basics behind weight loss and for that very reason it's fundamentally flawed. Well done on losing 9st, but you can easily learn to cook healthy nutritious meals without paying a membership fee to SW/WW. So no, in essence it doesn't teach you anything you cannot teach yourself.
  • rianneonamission
    edited December 2017
    Plus, as @suzannesimmons3 says, nothing wrong with ready meals per sé. Weight Watchers created their own range.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Plus, as @suzannesimmons3 says, nothing wrong with ready meals per sé. Weight Watchers created their own range.

So have Slimming World lol
  • tinkerbellang83

Have you seen the calories and size of the s.w ones...

I split between two of us and yet they are marketed as meals for one!!!!

S.W does promote cooking but it also promotes "free foods" eat as much as you like free foods.....that's why it's flawed....then they blame you when you stop losing not the fact you're eating to much...even going as far as saying people were working out too much and my all time favourite....NOT EATING ENOUGH....

I can't say I have, never bought one, and never plan to. I just saw them when I was in Iceland the other week. I rarely buy ready meals, not that there's anything really wrong with them, but I like to cook and prefer to batch cook and freeze stuff myself, I find it more cost-effective.

As for Slimming World, I've no issue with it, if it works for people, great!

However I will say I've never met anyone who has maintained their weight long term that does either Slimming World or Weight Watchers and I know plenty of people who use them.
  • rsergeant79
    rsergeant79 Posts: 45 Member

S.W does promote cooking but it also promotes "free foods" eat as much as you like free foods.....that's why it's flawed....then they blame you when you stop losing not the fact you're eating to much...even going as far as saying people were working out too much and my all time favourite....NOT EATING ENOUGH....

I can't say I have, never bought one, and never plan to. I just saw them when I was in Iceland the other week. I rarely buy ready meals, not that there's anything really wrong with them, but I like to cook and prefer to batch cook and freeze stuff myself, I find it more cost-effective.

However I will say I've never met anyone who has maintained their weight long term that does either Slimming World or Weight Watchers and I know plenty of people who use them.

Can you specify what you mean by 'long term'? Just interested as I have pretty much maintained for 4 years now
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited December 2017

Can you specify what you mean by 'long term'? Just interested as I have pretty much maintained for 4 years now

I don't know anyone who has maintained longer than a year. Most of them have regained almost all their weight on more than one occasion and just seem to be in a constant cycle of losing and regaining.

If it worked for you, that's great, I can only base it on the experiences I've seen my friends, family and colleagues have.