Bony Shoulders And Back?

Options
I've lost 40 pounds, last I checked I weigh about 210 and am 5' 6". I am also 26. I don't exercise and am not active because I have MS and scoliosis but to the untrained eye I don't look like I have scoliosis. I've lost weight from pure diet.

Last night I had my mother attempt to rub my back since I'm in pain. Haven't had a massage in years. Well she didn't know where to find my muscles because she's inexperienced but I noticed from feeling that every where she touched seemed bony and hard. My shoulder blades stuck out and I could feel my ribs in my back when she tried to rub. It felt like she was rubbing bone. I asked her if my back was bony and she said more bony than she thought. What is going on here? I still have some meat on me. I wear size 14 pants and a L in shirts. Why would my back be so bony? Thank you for your support ahead of time

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people don’t realize how diverse bodies can be, especially given that popular culture tends to give us a pretty narrow view of what a body is “supposed” to look like. I’ve grown to love the weird quirks that make my body unusual - like how my middle toes are longer than the others, or my eyebrows don’t curve, or how no matter how overweight I got, I could still touch my toes. Chances are this is just a quirk of your body, although you can always ask a doctor to be sure.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    As a general rule women don't tend to have a lot of upper body muscle to begin with, so if you have lost a lot of the fat in your back and you don't exercise to build the muscle in your back, then I think it's to be expected that your back will be bony. I lift and do try to build back muscles, but still have a fairly bony back and ribs since my fat usually settles in my belly and hips...so, I don't think there's any reason to be concerned that anything is wrong...it's more common for women to carry fat in the lower hip/thigh/abdomen area anyway thanks to estrogen...if it bothers you then you can try to build muscle, maybe with something like yoga or pilates if your body can tolerate those activities and if you enjoy them.
  • marpo_180
    marpo_180 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That all makes sense. So I should try to do some lifting if I can, and it's just how I'm built then :) thanks everyone!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,687 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm built the same way. I lose weight in my upper body quickly (boobs and back especially) and hold on to it in my thighs and belly. You can count my ribs, but I still have fat deposits in various places. The worst part is my husband doesn't like to give me back massages any more because he is afraid of hurting me.
  • marpo_180
    marpo_180 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thats exactly how I am! That has to be a disappointment not getting back massages anymore:(
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    my son has scoliosis and due to the curve the bones in his back especially on the side with the hump, are prominent.