Dr Jade Tera?

Options
Just looking for opinions, this guy has a diet and exercise plan that claims to regulate your hormones and burn fat by timing meals and a specialized workout. I say it's not possible to change your hormone levels without medical intervention. I call *kitten*.

Replies

• Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    Just looking for opinions, this guy has a diet and exercise plan that claims to regulate your hormones and burn fat by timing meals and a specialized workout. I say it's not possible to change your hormone levels without medical intervention. I call *kitten*.

Teta, thank you spell check
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I think you can edit your title still.
  • cmriverside
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Well, except hormones DO change with weight loss and even with just the process of weight loss. I haven't read anything about him, but hormones are affected in this process. The endocrine system is very much affected by weight loss, the stress of weight loss and by being at a healthy weight.

Just I wouldn't put too much stock in a particular fasting schedule (if that's his claim) or a particular workout program. There are a lot of unfounded claims/partial truths around intermittent fasting and/or certain methods of training.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Oh, someone brought him up before, and I went and looked him up.

He's... skirting around being half-way right and making it all wrong in the process in how he presents it.

It doesn't need to be so hard.

1. If you want to lose weight, you need to cut calories, and hormones aren't the main driver like he says. You don't need to cycle your diet as he says. HOWEVER, dieting itself downregulates certain hormones like leptin, ghrelin, and T3. Doing weekend days of maintenance eating with a macro mix that's low fat/high carb (since these hormones are responsive to carbohydrates) will bring these hormones back to baseline and help keep some nasty adaptations to eating at deficit that happen at bay. Additionally, incorporating periodic breaks of eating at adjusted-for-current-weight maintenance for 2 weeks helps this process along as well.
    2. Do a workout program that works for you. If you're in a weight loss phase of dieting, there are only certain conditions under which you'll gain muscle, and those gains won't be very significant. Cycling your calories throughout the week will not add to any chance of gains during weight loss.
    3. If you're not in a weight loss phase and are simply eating and training and trying to recomp, there is no need to cycle calories in the manner he's suggesting unless you prefer to. Daily fluctuations of maintenance eating patterns combined with training will give you the results you need. It doesn't need to be complicated.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Oh. Cycling. That too.

I'm with Em. Eat what you like when you want it within calories. Keep it simple.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am a fan. I think his methodology helps people who struggle to find what works for them, as he claims individuality is key to successful weight loss. Yes he's selling products and trying to make money, but that shouldn't disqualify everyone trying to make a living in the health and fitness industry as this place would have you believe. He's not selling snake oil, and hormone regulation can wreak havoc with one's ability to maintain and stick to a diet.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »

Have a look at the Refeeds and Diet Breaks thread re hormones and the changes that happen when eating at a deficit.

@GottaBurnEmAll covered the rest of what I would say about Teta specifically.