Can't stick to a diet for the life of me!!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I joined awhile ago, at the suggestion of a friend, but have only looked around a bit. I am a 38 year old woman that can't stay on a diet for the life of me. I quit smoking two years ago and have packed on the pounds. I am not the biggest I've been, but I am feeling it more now than I have in the past. I am short so the weight really shows on me. I am unhappy and want to do something about it. I can't seem to stick with a diet, I hate the food restrictions. I recently joined a boot camp class and love it, so I figure it's a start. I'm going to give this site a try. Wish me luck!!

Replies

• moly
    moly Posts: 1
    Options
    good luck.. I feel the same way... It is so hard to have restrictions.. but wish you the best.. go girl..
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Im the same way...I cant stick to a diet for the life of me either!

What I LOVE about MFP is that it showed me that I dont need a diet and I dont need to restict or eliminate any foods. I learned portion control and it's been the best thing EVER!

I eat what I want within my calories and I feel great. Yesterday I even had birthday cake! :)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of it as a diet, but rather a lifetime change. As simona1972 said, she learned portion control and she is able to have what she wanted within her daily calorie goal.

Yesterday I had a philly cheesesteak and today I am a pound lighter. Granted I did not eat much after that and I did walk around Philadelphia for over 2 hours, but still.

You can do it!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The best advise I can give you is to stop thinking diet. Diets are temporary. You want to change your life style and it's going to take some time. You're in it for the marathon not the sprint. This is a great tool to help you reach your goal and keep it. Good Luck!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I agree with byHisstrength and simona--I don't diet either. I eat mostly the same things my family eats--just a lot less than I used to! Find out what a portion is--you'll be surprised!--and then enjoy your food. There's no need to restrict anything unless it's your decision. For instance, I have chosen to not eat the donuts my dd brings home but I'll have a serving of ice cream on a hot day if it fits in my calorie count.
  • ritodcin03
    ritodcin03 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Make sure you visit the message boards regularly, and you will find the inspiration you need to stick with this life change! It's amazing how just by reading what so many other people are going through that you find the strength to make a commitment to a better you. You're not alone, and you can do this!
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    Its always hard to restrict ourselves of anything, but it really boils down to willpower. I struggle with this myself so I know it is very hard, but there is no magic pill, we just need to be dedicated to the cause and just do it. Once you see tremendous results I think you will be more willing to keep going. Good luck!
  • 30togomoveit
    30togomoveit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have been "stuck" for about 2 yrs now. I go up and down the same 5 lbs so basically I am maintaining but i want to lose 30 more!

For me, I find that if I plan my food ahead of time (best way it works is sit down at night when my kids are in bed and track my meals for the week, or at least 2 days at a time). This is the ONLY way I lose. I am not consistent w/ that and I need to be! I don't know why I let life get in the way (busy w/ kids, work, when kids get sick...etc). I make excuses for tracking/planning. I have also found I make excuses for not pushing my workouts. I kept saying my knee keeps me from taking classes at the gym. I found last week I am ok to take classes but just don't do a full lunge/squat.

I don't know why we let life get in the way and put weight loss on the back burner! Somehow we have to make it part of our "normal" day and hopefully, it will stick.

:) Good luck to you! This is NOT an easy task!
  • 30togomoveit
    30togomoveit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The best advise I can give you is to stop thinking diet. Diets are temporary. You want to change your life style and it's going to take some time. You're in it for the marathon not the sprint. This is a great tool to help you reach your goal and keep it. Good Luck!

AMEN!!! I hate the word diet b/c I don't feel I limit my food choices. I just limit the AMOUNT of food I eat. Some will argue that is still a diet but I don't see it that way b/c I'm not giving up foods that I love!
  • SamanthaT01
    SamanthaT01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am the first person to say I can not stick with a diet and had to mentally change to think I am making big permanent changes. When I think of diet I think "die". Keep in mind everything in moderation and within reason. I have been losing and gaining the same 5 pounds also and am looking to lose 15 pounds. If you need a buddy I am here!

Sami