what cooking oil?

Options
evilokc
evilokc Posts: 260 Member
I've been eating a lot of egg whites and loving the easy protein. however it dawned on me a couple of days ago that my low calorie meal is being slighty fattened up by the cap of cooking oil. im considering buying a tub of " i cant believe its not butter" to cook in. i love the spray. any thoughts?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I use nonstick cookware and anything from a teaspoon to a tablespoon (40-120 calories) of oil. Usually olive, canola, or grapeseed. I'll sometimes use a bit of cooking spray, too. You need some fat in your diet. I'm not concerned about "slightly" fattening things up. I just log the oil and keep going.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I use non-stick and spray with a little avocado oil.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Butter-flavored cooking spray and a nonstick pan
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Rather than buy cans of cooking spray, you can buy a sprayer made for oil with a trigger on it (I think one brand is Evo), or for about 10USD the Misto Olive Oil Sprayer, which you half fill with olive oil then pump up to get the air pressure to power the spray. Pays for itself in a few months.
  • judymata
    judymata Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil or avocado oil. The spray kind is amazing!
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I microwave my 1/2 c of egg whites for a minute and a half, flip it once half way through, the egg Patty comes out fluffy. I only figured out this method when all my non stick pans were crap, (too cheap and lazy to do anything about it) and the egg whites sorta disappeared in my veg as well.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Personally when I don't want to use oil, I just choose to steam or cook in water or pressure cook. Eggs especially can easily be prepared without oil - soft poaching is my favorite.

Another thing I do is take the maximum amount of oil I'm willing to eat in a day and measure it out in the morning, and use it throughout the day.

Not a big fan of oil and butter substitutes. Though I believe "I can't believe it's not butter" is just canola oil that's been whipped and refrigerated, right?
  • bradlycave83
    bradlycave83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like coconut oil
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you're trying for low calorie protein, I second the advice to poach your egg whites in the microwave or use a good non-stick pan. If you want tasty eggs, you can't beat frying them in bacon fat - and if you've already logged the bacon, it's even free. The rationale behind "I can't believe it's not butter" is outdated since we now know from more recent research that saturated fat is not the devil.
  • itsaboutthattimeagain
    itsaboutthattimeagain Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I use a little olive oil...I have all kinds of flavors..habanero, garlic, lemon, orange, Mediterranean, etc (order it from a specific small business). I usually just use 7 grams or so, 60 cals 7 grams of fat..something like that...worth it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    i use cooking spray or butter
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Love my Misto.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't use oil for cooking egg whites. The non-stick cookware is super easy to clean even without it. Other pans just take a bit of scrubbing with a brush and/or textured pad/sponge.
  • cbarthorpe874
    cbarthorpe874 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any oil (liquid at room temperature) is an unstable product to be cooking with.
    Solids...coconut oil etc are much safer to be cooking with.
    Fat will not make you fat as it has absolutely no impact on insulin levels at all.
    Fat is actually essential in your diet for correct bodily functions. Don't shy away from fat, just know your good fat from your bad fat (trans fats...margarine!). Eat carbs separate from fats and you're winning.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    I just use a tiny bit of butter 1 tablespoon is 70 calories, I use much less than that.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nonstick pans make a HUGE difference. I use a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon max of Smart Balance for eggs and LOVE the flavor. I have a Misto that i fill with olive oil and love that also.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I prefer to avoid the chemicals in nonstick pans, cooking spray when possible, and I'm not sure you could force me to eat I Can't Believe It's Not Butter at gunpoint. But that's personal choice. It's your body and your decision as to what to put in it. I do sometimes eat in restaurants so I consume those items that horrify me during those times, but not when I have control of ingredients at home.

I cook my eggs in butter because I like the flavor and it's healthy. I also use coconut oil, olive oil, lard, schmaltz, duck fat, tallow, and sesame oil for different food items depending on the flavor I want.
  • chrisheather4ever02
    Options
    Coconut oil is my personal go to i like the flavour it gives the food too. Measure it out a little bit goes a long way.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    And real butter for toast/sandwiches. I just use it sparingly.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I cut all oil out of my diet and haven't ever felt better.