5’2 females, how are you maintaining?

Options
12346»

Replies

• August2444
    August2444 Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi All. I'm 5'2. Won't be too long before I join you in maintenance.
    SW 139 63kg
    CW 134 60.4kg
    GW 116 53kg

@Jill_s22 My advice would be don't eat it unless you log it first and use a food scale to weigh and measure.

Edit: Will add that I'm on 1240 cals now to lose 0.5kg per week. I have no idea what my maintenance calories would be.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and trying to maintain at 125 lbs. So far I know I keep losing weight at 1800 and 1900 cal per day so I'm up to 2040 cals but I think I need more. 2 weeks on those cals and I'm losing weight. Not sure if it's hormonal or not just yet so I'm gonna give it 2 more weeks and then up my calories to 2140 per day.

I workout 6 days per week and do twice a day 3x per week so I think I might even up my calories more. I'm new at maintaining and still figuring this out. My maintainance was 1800 last summer but then I only did 5 workout a per week.

You sound like me (though I'm probably a lot older) I have found I need at least 2100 - 2200 just to maintain. If I go any lower I start to lose weight. It's been easier since I started using a fitbit - I eat back the extra calories it calculates. With the amount of activity you are doing I'd guess you're burning more than you think.
  • Nudgey02
    Nudgey02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi All, great thread :) I'm 5'2" and 60kg I was maintaining on 2200 - 2500 cals but after my holiday and slight gain I'm cutting again on 1500 cals plus eating back exercise calories. For those who are eating low calories and not losing, you may be interested in researching about refeeds, I was in the same boat but did a refeed for 10 days and then didn't need to cut as many calories to start losing again. Youtube videos and podcasts with Lyle Mcdonald are probably the best at explaining this. Also, those who are on low calories for maintenance, take look at a thread on MFP called Eat More to Lose Weight, there are people on there who have kept upping their maintenance calories and are now maintaining on much much higher than they originally thought. Regarding Woo's. I thought it meant Woo as in Woo hoo / Whoop! which for us in the UK means wow, thats awesome/ well done etc. But I haven't clicked it on here because the emoji was confusing, haha.
    Take care all.x
  • Nudgey02
    Nudgey02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When maintaining on 2200- 2500 i don't eat back exercise calories (in case you were confused about the massive difference).
  • chelliz88
    chelliz88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and trying to maintain at 125 lbs. So far I know I keep losing weight at 1800 and 1900 cal per day so I'm up to 2040 cals but I think I need more. 2 weeks on those cals and I'm losing weight. Not sure if it's hormonal or not just yet so I'm gonna give it 2 more weeks and then up my calories to 2140 per day.

I workout 6 days per week and do twice a day 3x per week so I think I might even up my calories more. I'm new at maintaining and still figuring this out. My maintainance was 1800 last summer but then I only did 5 workout a per week.

Does MFP give you those calories, or are you giving yourself those calories? I'm not even working out and I'm losing at my "maintain" of 1800!
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    5'2"... 115lbs and holding since Jun-17. I swim 2-3 times a week, CrossFit 3x a week and get in 15k steps a day.
    My maintenance calories are supposedly 1600 - but at that the weight goes on! I've adjusted that and aim for 1200 in my tracking, but know that there's tolerance in there so it probably ends up at 1400 after things I don't track like oil, butter, powerade zero.. My goal at present is maintaining weight and dropping body fat and since Oct-17 I've managed to shed 2% body fat which I'm pretty happy about. I'm doing high protein, low fat, low carb for the next two weeks to see how that goes. And I never eat back exercise calories, but that's just me!
    May14 my starting weight was 217lbs - ultimate goal weight 110lbs or less.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    Op, every one is different. But it should be easy for you to figure out. How many calories have you been eating daily while losing weight and how much have you lost weekly on the average? Then you can add on calories from there.

I weigh daily so I know if I need adjustment. But at maintenance I probably eat about 1800-2000. I’m just under 5’2”. Maintenance weight in the past was around 100lbs. Currently I’m 117 post baby and letting things go for awhile.

I'm 4' 11" and maintain at 1,400.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’2” and 129#, lose a pound a month at 1200 and maintain at 1340. I eat back half my exercise calories. I’d like to lose 5 more pounds but have maintained for 6 months. I’m 63 yo so I think that’s plays a big factor. It’s hard to stay at 1200.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    HI I think my maintenance is average 1200 to 1600 calories. I'm 54 and metabolism slows down with age. I used to be super super active and now I just go for walks. I try to walk daily and don't always manage. In my family the women are the same height and most have had obesity. I think we have very slow metabolism in the family and so to be a "normal" weight, we need to eat much less than average. We are not all created equal in terms of metabolism. I think weight lifting is recommended and a good idea, but, so far, I never get to it. Reducing calories to 1200-1600 seems more manageable for me. In any case, when I am more active, I often want to eat more, so I still need to keep an eye on maintenance so far. I was jogging for a while, but it usually gives me joint pains. I really want to keep my limbs in good working shape as long as possible, so I'm skipping that, alas. I really enjoyed jogging: so quick and easy and it was way easier to maintain or lose when jogging.