joemac1988 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    I did keto for a year. Dropped weight at a good pace, lower hunger levels, stable energy.

But ultimately I found it too restrictive, I just really like carbs. I started giving myself weekly 'cheat meals' to indulge on all the foods I missed, which would end with me having an upset stomach and feeling like crap until the next day. I decided to stop doing keto and regained all the weight I lost.

As far as weight loss goes, all that matters is calories. You don't need to cut out any foods. It's simple and easy to maintain forever.

If you don't like bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, desserts... then by all means, it may just work for you. But it wasn't sustainable for me.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but if you have weekly 'cheat meals', that, by definition, isn't keto; you're not reaching ketosis. Kinda like saying I'm vegan but eat bacon on the weekends...

I don't find comparing keto to veganism is very useful. Keto is a diet, veganism is an ethical position. It's like comparing apples to oranges and it doesn't do justice to either.

Besides, in the post you're responding to we have no idea *when* in the year of keto this person began doing their weekly "cheat meals." It's entirely possible that there was a lengthy period where they were in ketosis consistently and began doing exceptions towards the end of the period. We just can't tell from what is written so declaring they were never on keto seems too hasty.

Well hey, I feel like comparing apples and oranges; try and stop me :).

I don't recall where I said they were never on keto...maybe you could helpfully point that out to me? What I said was if you're having weekly cheat meals, that's not keto. Sure, maybe 50 out of 52 weeks they did it perfectly. I was referring to the 2 where cheat meals occurred.

I trust this satisfies you.

Someone shared their experience and you responded with this: "if you have weekly 'cheat meals', that, by definition, isn't keto."

If you agreed that they were on keto and it didn't work for them and their needs, not sure why you even felt the need to respond. If you think they were on keto and you simply have a potential disagreement about the duration of the period, what's the point of even bringing that up?

Don't worry yourself about my satisfaction.

Ok, I'm gonna compare some more fruits for ya...that's like saying "Well sure he murdered someone, what about all those other days he DIDN'T kill someone??". Lol

So in your mind, if someone does keto for 10 years, then decides they want to have pizza with their family for dinner one night, then immediately returns to their keto lifestyle for the rest of their life... they're NOT doing keto?

Want me to provide a timeline of when I was strict keto and when I started having cheat meals once a month, then once a week? Maybe you can tell me when exactly I stopped qualifying?

No, that's not what you said though! I quote "But ultimately I found it too restrictive, I just really like carbs. I started giving myself weekly 'cheat meals". You said that with no indication of when it started. So one time over 10 years is a world away from weekly cheat meals which I'm sure you'd agree with.

Your initial response indicated that you thought you were still doing keto while incorporating weekly cheat meals. Don't blame me if you worded it unclear.

I didn't think I needed to provide a strict timeline while sharing my anecdotal experience.

What about TKD and CKD? Those are forms of a 'keto diet' that feature regular carb-loading. There's plenty of info on them out there.

I think you're assuming that "being in a constant state of nutritional ketosis" and "keto diet" are the exact same thing with no room for variation.

All I'm saying is keto doesn't allow for weekly cheat meals.

By your purely personal, black-and-white opinion. I was a regular member of the reddit keto community for years and I can tell you that by your definition, 75% of us 'weren't actually doing keto'. Either way, it doesn't matter. Let's agree to disagree and I'll go enjoy a bagel.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Long story short, I found Keto when I researched a drug suggested to reduce my migraines. It was an anti epileptic and once o realized the connection between epilepsy and migraines(Keto is used to treat some epileptics) I gave it a try. When I stick to it it is amazing! I had to find good alternatives though. Much trial and error have finally come through and I have bread and dessert alternatives that I LOVE not just ones I can tolerate. Now the woe is easy and I feel great with migraines reduced from 13+ per month to one or less.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake ... keto way of eating here and I had half a baked potato the other night! I am also doing some experiments with myself and downed some caramel M&M's before a run to see how I feel, if it makes a difference to me and also my sugar tolerance. I have done fallen off that keto wagon! *eye roll* No longer a true ketoer I guess. I will miss my badge.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I did keto for a year. Dropped weight at a good pace, lower hunger levels, stable energy.

But ultimately I found it too restrictive, I just really like carbs. I started giving myself weekly 'cheat meals' to indulge on all the foods I missed, which would end with me having an upset stomach and feeling like crap until the next day. I decided to stop doing keto and regained all the weight I lost.

As far as weight loss goes, all that matters is calories. You don't need to cut out any foods. It's simple and easy to maintain forever.

If you don't like bread, pasta, pizza, potatoes, desserts... then by all means, it may just work for you. But it wasn't sustainable for me.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but if you have weekly 'cheat meals', that, by definition, isn't keto; you're not reaching ketosis. Kinda like saying I'm vegan but eat bacon on the weekends...

This is completely rubbish. A ketogenic diet is any diet which puts the body into ketosis. There is no specified time frame for this.

You are obviously not aware of CKD or TKD diets.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For goodness sake ... keto way of eating here and I had half a baked potato the other night! I am also doing some experiments with myself and downed some caramel M&M's before a run to see how I feel, if it makes a difference to me and also my sugar tolerance. I have done fallen off that keto wagon! *eye roll* No longer a true ketoer I guess. I will miss my badge.

There's a badge? And I missed it? Oh mannn!

I too am mostly keto and have been for a few years. When I started, I was strictly keto. I now stray into low carb sometimes but I find that more carbs tend to stimulate my appetite which leads me in the direction of more of a SAD type of diet. Staying very low carb helps me control my appetite and cravings. My foods are more whole foods, and healthier.

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    The word keto is used too many times in this thread.

There is a $25 fee now for each use (except for me cause I'm the one getting the money)

Pay up.
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I eat keto (and plan to permanently) and love it. I've lost 92 lbs this year and went from a women's size 24 to a size 12. Everyone in my family says I've worked hard for it but the truth is it has taken me very, very little effort to drop all this weight.

Personally I have not cheated a single time since I started; if I have food that isn't keto-friendly I have only small amounts to enjoy the flavor but stay within my carb limit. My blood work is excellent and I don't need to supplement electrolytes, which is convenient. BUT experiences on keto vary per person and it doesn't come as easy to everyone.

I agree with previous posters' advice. 1) determine if the kinds of foods you'd eat on keto suit you. If not, it might not be the way of eating for you, 2) check out the low carb groups here on MFP for more detailed info, check the keto subreddit, and research research research before you get started! I don't recommend jumping in without knowing what you're doing.

As with all diets keto isn't for everyone, but it's been a godsend for me and I'm so happy I found it.