The diet and the desk-job.

2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Commute by bike.
  • ForeverPrimed
    ForeverPrimed Posts: 17 Member
    Just stating the obvious here, you can wake up 45 - 60 mins earlier. If you're work day doesn't allow for working out then workout right at the beginning. It's a matter of how much are you willing to sacrifice. I current workout from 5am - 6:30am before work 4 times a week. It can be done.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    We bought a treadmilll and I got up earlier and got a mile in before work. Like you, I got home late and we live far out so I had a longer commute. This helped me start my day off knowing I had one mile in. I tried to walk from the back of the building to the front several times a day. Even walking the dog...whatever I could do
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Desk job here. I get up early to exercise, as the end of the day it's too unpredictable and I get too tired to do anything else other than walk the dogs. There are plenty of quick youtube type videos where you can pick up some cardio or HIIT type routines like fitness blender, etc. I also try to take a walk outside during lunch to take a break from staring at my computer.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    I get up at 5:15 every morning to get in a work out before heading to work. I also move around a lot in my chair - lifting my legs, jiggling my legs. I get up every chance I get and walk around as much as possible. Keep yourself moving!
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Eat less. Find your new TDEE as it will be substantially reduced, then calculate a calorie intake from there

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I also have a desk job. I gained most of my weight starting at 30 years old when I took my first desk job and it was a 12 hr per day deal with a lot of business travel. I gained about 50 Lbs from 30-38 when I finally decided I needed to take care of things.

I don't work those hours anymore, but with my commute I still do about 10 hours per day...add to that, I have a wife and kids and other obligations. I have found it pretty much imperative to make time for some exercise. Most of my weekday rides are 30-45 minutes and my lifting program at the moment takes me about 40 minutes. I try to get in a longer ride or two on the weekend and also try to be up and around and doing stuff rather than lazing about the house.

Not only does the exercise help with weight management, it helps with my sanity and my overall well being. I have had a bunch of stuff going on the last couple of months and haven't been able to do what I normally do, and it drives me nuts...I feel so much better and much less stressed out when I get my exercise fix on the regular.

In my 30s I always made the excuse that I just didn't have time for it...much of that was due to me thinking I had to spend copious amounts of time doing it to have any real benefit...I wish I would have realized the benefit of a mere 30 minutes most days...could have saved myself a lot of trouble.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    shloofk wrote: »
    I recently transitioned from quite a full on active job to a desk job. Before I was always on my feet doing about 15-20 thousand steps a day without fail, now I do about 5,000 and I'm really struggling to adjust. My schedule doesn't really allow me to do a huge amount in terms of exercise daily as I leave the house at 7 and return at 7. Does anyone else struggle with this? Any tips on adjusting?

• Find a more active hobby for in the 7-11pm time slot.
    • If a gym is very close to work and not busy in the morning, leave at 6:20-6:30ish and get in a short session (A very basic full body strength routine with only 2 sets and super-setting what won't interfere with each other can be done in < 30 minutes, with very minimal changing time unless you are a particularly heavy sweater)(would take significantly more time in the evening when the gyms are packed).
    • Add in a walk at lunch time/immediately before/after work.
    • Add in a short run immediately after work (or before if a cooler climate and you don't sweat much).
    • Avoid any new boredom snacking (easy thing to fall prey to in an office environment).
    • Eliminate any old boredom snacking (that may no longer fit into your sedentary life calories).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    amandaeve wrote: »
    @Relser - what is this pedal thingy? Tell us more.

Google "desk cycle"
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Desk job here too, I get up for a little walk every hour. I have been doing my work outs after work up until this past week. I know am doing 2 a days, so in gym at 445am and again at 400 pm...... I like the 2 a days but if I don't feel like the after work one I still got the work out in.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2017
    Being less active just means your TDEE will have lowered so to maintain your weight you have to eat less calories, unless you fit in exercise somewhere in your day. The amount your calories will drop varies from person to person but as an example, I went from being very active in general even with a desk job to being only lightly active, ie went from around 20k+ steps last year to now around 7k, my calories dropped by 300 calories.
    I still workout every day but for 30 mins now rather than 90 mins. I have a full time desk job.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2017
    time to change the diet, eat more carrots and celery

That's weird advice. What does it have to do with OP's post? You're a vegan so everyone else should be too?

Not weird at all. Changing diet, i.e. eating fewer calories is good as one transitions to a lower activity job. Also carrots and celery are good low calorie options if one feels the need to munch on something at their desk.

And I love me a good non-vegan steak.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Getting a desk job was the bane of my weight (like many on this thread!). I had never struggled with my weight - a few pounds here and there, but never anything too crazy until I got a desk job. I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal - it was. I eventually managed to get to the heaviest of my life, a solid 35 pounds over my previous "happy" weight.

It took me awhile to figure it out, and some trial and error. I'm not at my goal weight right now, but was steadily getting closer (and getting pretty fit) before breaking my leg. Now that the issues with my leg seem to be calming down, it's back to "the routine" again.

1) Make time for the gym. This needs to be a priority. I get up at 4:45 to be to the gym by a little after 5 so I can workout, shower, change, and get ready for work on time. This also means my evenings are BORING - I come home, cook, eat, chill for a show or something, then in to bed to get enough sleep.
    2) Move when and where you can. Standing desks are great, see if you can get one. Use it for a scheduled period of time each day.
    3) Walk during or to get your lunch.
    4) Watch your calories, and recalculate your intake. You may need to track religiously for a bit and fiddle around with what is the right amount for you.
    5) Any "little" activity you can add - do it. Take the stairs rather than the escalator; stand on the train rather than sit; park at the back of the parking lots (everywhere you go); etc.

It's hard to be on your butt most of the day and keep your fitness up. It can be done, but requires some extra effort, especially if you're not used to needing to think about it!
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    just the usual ones:

park far away in the lot or better bike to work or walk if possible. if you take the train get off an extra stop away. park farther away in all parking lots for that matter.

walk to bathrooms farther away from your desk or do a lap around the floor / building when you go

take the stairs

walk at lunch / walk to lunch

you can get a little pedal thing for under your desk or some offices will allow you a standing desk

do squats or stretches on short breaks

eat less to compensate for being less active

Exactly this. All these things are what's helping me lose weight and I sit on my butt for 9 hours a day, sigh I need another job.