IIFYM / Flexible Dieting

Options
Who here follows #IIFYM Flexible Dieting ?!?!

Replies

• debby_valenzuela
    Options
    I follow the IIFYM
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Me too
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think I am. Or do? (Not a native speaker :s )
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    me!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I'm actually really surprised about some of the people who've said that they do (looking at you @cmriverside and @kommodevaran ). You guys are total pro's of the calorie counting game and I didn't realize that ya'll did the IIFYM thing.
  • cmriverside
    edited December 2017
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I'm actually really surprised about some of the people who've said that they do (looking at you @cmriverside and @kommodevaran ). You guys are total pro's of the calorie counting game and I didn't realize that ya'll did the IIFYM thing.

But, IIFYM is just eating within calories and if that means chicken and carrots, so be it. If it's BLT, all the better.

I am a very very loose IIFYM person...I hit Protein and Fat every day. Carbs...they're randomly filled in.

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

But, IIFYM is just eating within calories and if that means chicken and carrots, so be it. If it's BLT, all the better.

I am a very very loose IIFYM person...I hit Protein and Fat every day. Carbs...they're randomly filled in.

How did you set your target macros for protein and fat? Just the general rule of thumb (x grams per body weight)?
  • cmriverside
    Options

How did you set your target macros for protein and fat? Just the general rule of thumb (x grams per body weight)?

I just use the defaults.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

There are minimums for these which are optimal.

For people who are active, people who are dieting, and older people, ideal protein consumption is anywhere from .6 - 1 gram per pound of ideal body weight (it can be above this for people with specific training goals).

Recommended minimal fat intake? I've read as low as .25, but ideally closer to .35-.45 g per pound of ideal body weight.

After that, spend your calories as you wish.

I also follow IIFYM, I guess. IF that means following the guidelines I've just outlined here and then eating mainly nutrient dense foods and allowing for treats? Sure.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    IIFYM the website? No.
    IIFYM the philosophy? Used to but not anymore, I don't count count macros or calories.
    Flexible dieting? Yes.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited December 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    IIFYM the website? No.
    IIFYM the philosophy? Used to but not anymore, I don't count count macros or calories.
    Flexible dieting? Yes.

Ah yes. This is the best answer. Except I count calories. I'm too short with too little wiggle room not to. And I do try to meet protein and fat minimums.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yes, in the same sense as GottaBurnEmAll - ensure I hit my minimums for protein and fat, the rest is whatever with mainly nutrient dense foods.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't track macros, but I am a flexible eater
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I diet flexibly and track my macros. I don't use the iifym website.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    IIFYM the website? No.
    Flexible dieting? Yes.

Ah yes. This is the best answer. Except I count calories. I'm too short with too little wiggle room not to. And I do try to meet protein and fat minimums.

Due to my exercise I have a generous calorie allowance (more would be nice though!) and can maintain without logging so only bother to log a few times a year when I actually need precision for performance reasons. I'm just calorie and protein aware but in a fairly casual and flexible day to day style. Fat has always taken care of itself just from my normal food choices.

Could say I loosely follow the idea of a 80/10/10 split....
    Good food I also enjoy/food I don't really enjoy that much but is good for me/fun food purely for enjoyment.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    IIFYM the website? No.
    Flexible dieting? Yes.

Due to my exercise I have a generous calorie allowance (more would be nice though!) and can maintain without logging so only bother to log a few times a year when I actually need precision for performance reasons. I'm just calorie and protein aware but in a fairly casual and flexible day to day style. Fat has always taken care of itself just from my normal food choices.

Could say I loosely follow the idea of a 80/10/10 split....
    Good food I also enjoy/food I don't really enjoy that much but is good for me/fun food purely for enjoyment.

I have to watch fat due to having familial hypercholesterolemia.

I went through a spell where I was cutting it too low and it caused me issues with my skin and nails.

So I end up doing a very delicate balance with it and have to really keep an eye on it. Not too much, not too little.

Watching protein is just a game I play. It's quite easy for me to get enough, like you, through food choice.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I have protein and fat targets, and also aim for as many fruits/vegetables per day as I can. I try not to allocate too many calories to foods that aren't relatively nutrient-dense (especially because I don't have a ton of calories to play with and need to make sure I'm hitting my nutritional bases), but I also have some kind of dessert every day. Nothing is off-limits as long as I can fit it in and as long as it isn't crowding out some other more pressing nutritional need.
  • devya_b
    devya_b Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I have protein and fat targets, and also aim for as many fruits/vegetables per day as I can. I try not to allocate too many calories to foods that aren't relatively nutrient-dense (especially because I don't have a ton of calories to play with and need to make sure I'm hitting my nutritional bases), but I also have some kind of dessert every day. Nothing is off-limits as long as I can fit it in and as long as it isn't crowding out some other more pressing nutritional need.

This is my basic philosophy as well. I have been maintaining for years following these general rules of eating. I go over on calories some days, but I try to maintain an average for the week.