How to log classes at gym

Options
I've been taking a class at my gym - it's different every time. It's always a mix of cardio moves and strength moves, and you do 4-5 sets of a few different movements and then they give you a different set. For example, today for our first set we did a 300m row, then alternating medicine ball slams and burpees, jumping back and forth over the rower for each move, 5 times. Then back on the rower and repeat 5 times. Then we start another set of moves.
Would this be considered "circuit training"?
Also, MFP says that's a 600+ calorie burn for a 180 pound 44 year old woman for an hour long class. I'm laid out on the floor by the end, but I'm thinking 600 still seems high.
Opinions?

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    600 is pretty high. Unfortunately with something so specific you're not really going to be able to log it. If you're looking to eat back the calories and this is a regular activity for you, you can use any of the various websites/apps out there that average out your daily weight and give you an estimate of how much you're losing/maintaining/gaining per week, and then you can adjust your calories accordingly.

Ex: Say I picked up cycling and my weight tracker says I'm now losing 1.2lbs a week. I can add in an extra 700 calories to my weekly average and split that up however I like so that I'm instead losing 1lb a week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    I've been taking a class at my gym - it's different every time. It's always a mix of cardio moves and strength moves, and you do 4-5 sets of a few different movements and then they give you a different set. For example, today for our first set we did a 300m row, then alternating medicine ball slams and burpees, jumping back and forth over the rower for each move, 5 times. Then back on the rower and repeat 5 times. Then we start another set of moves.
    Would this be considered "circuit training"?
    Also, MFP says that's a 600+ calorie burn for a 180 pound 44 year old woman for an hour long class. I'm laid out on the floor by the end, but I'm thinking 600 still seems high.
    Opinions?

Yes, I would log as circuit training. I looked at calorie lab and it said 574 calories for an hour. I'd log it and if you're not losing after a month, eat fewer calories.
  • chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'd log it as circuit training and then start with eat ing back half of the calories that it gives you and adjust if needed.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Sounds fair. Thanks all!