Treadmill vs outside

Options
13»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've started running on a treadmill here lately and everytime I run and tell anyone my time they act like it doesn't count because it's inside. What's the big difference between the two? I ran 2 miles today one in 5:20 and the other 4:48 also is those a good time? I ran at full speed 12.5 the whole time no stopping. Anyone know how many mph that is?

Are you in a competition or something with rules on what counts? If you are not then exercise however you want and stop talking about it with people who hate treadmills.
    I don't have a treadmill. I walk inside sometimes and outside sometimes. I can take the same amount of steps but feel like I work harder outside because of uneven surfaces, weather conditions, more stress. Inside time will go by quicker as I listen to music or podcasts. I will be more relaxed. It isn't the same experience.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Does not matter. A run is a run. Having said that, I try to avoid running inside as much as I can because its boring. But when the temps get to below -10C I am running on the hamster wheel, like it or not.

Good way of putting it. I hike/snowshoe for fitness, but when the temps get below 0 F I hit the treadmill. Unfortunately, it doesn't give my dog any exercise so sometimes I just have to bundle up and deal with the cold. I can get a good workout from the treadmill, but I really don't like it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It's not that run, the time, the workout doesn't count... it's that it's hard to compare workouts. Not just on treadmills, but in general. Race times vs training runs... road vs trail... hills vs flats... indoor vs outdoor... summer vs winter... etc etc etc.

As they say... comparison is the thief of joy. Put in your time. Do your work. Move on.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    That ∆ is a good argument for running power meters. Then people would be able to know whether two runs are comparably difficult or not. Intensity Factor scales the difficulty to your fitness level, 0.8 for me is the same as 0.8 for anybody.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It still counts on a treadmill, but is usually easier physically and harder mentally. Physically easier because of temperature, terrain, and wind. Mentally harder because it can get very boring very fast on a treadmill.

Similarly, outside running on roads / nice paths is physically easier and mentally harder than on technical trails. Easier physically because of terrain and obstacles, harder mentally because views are not as good. The requirement for greater proprioception makes technical trails more challenging physically and mentally.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    When I did run on a regular-ish basis, I always liked outside...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've started running on a treadmill here lately and everytime I run and tell anyone my time they act like it doesn't count because it's inside. What's the big difference between the two? I ran 2 miles today one in 5:20 and the other 4:48 also is those a good time? I ran at full speed 12.5 the whole time no stopping. Anyone know how many mph that is?

What do you/they mean by "doesn't count"? Count for what?

The difference between a motorized treadmill and outside is that the surface moves on a treadmill whereas outside it does not. But both exercise. Both are running.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options

PRs do not count unless they are made in official races where distances are calibrated and certified.

Treadmill distances AND times are notorious for being "off". Eg, my own treadmill is about 20 seconds slower than my watch clock's time so if I run 1 hour on the treadmill, it's actually 1 hour 20 seconds in real time.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Outside because I feel like it is better for my small joint stability. I run on back roads, through fields, on hiking trails, etc so i get more of a stability workout while I am at it. And, because when running on the treadmill, I got off and legit was in a horrible mood. No matter if I had a book or a tv it was not worth it. Runners high hits sometimes when I am outside and I love the mental workout it gives me.

I have no idea about time/effort/mileage differences. Burning calories is what counts though right?? Do what works for you!
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    but I can't wait for spring when I can run outside at 5:30 am.
    You totally can, just use reflection and lights and bundle up a little. I still run in the morning, earlier this week it was 19*F when I went out for my morning run.

Not if you live near me... did anyone see that Bills game sunday?

They still have a team???

They may just make the playoff this year!

Then again, I seem to say that every year for the last 17ish years,,,
  • rockmartin50
    rockmartin50 Posts: 1,747 Member
    Options
    I like both---on the outside it's good running on the track but bad on the streets people nowadays are crazy drivers---on the inside Treadmill is good as long as you have something to listen or watch T.V ---for me it's 50/50
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Indoor is better than nothing.

APR to NOV I use my bicycle almost daily. For the rest I do indoor cycling. One thing I observed is that going outdoor I maintain a pace of 135-140bpm easily. Indoor I get tired quick maintaining above 125. I control the humidity, I suspect the CO concentration is the factor.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would rather be outside even when it's freezing. Using a treadmill at the gym is a last resort. So boring even with music or TV. But to each their own. Whatever gets you moving.