Is it stupid starting diet so close to Christmas?

Options
124»

Replies

• Sweet_Intensity
    Sweet_Intensity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss/fitness plan 2 weeks before thanksgiving (I'm down just shy of 19 pounds since then). I had what I wanted for thanksgiving, but smaller portions than I would have if I had not be mindful of what I was eating. Pumping up the activity can also do a lot to compensate when you are eating more calories that is optimal for weight loss. One of the things I find is that 'dieting' can be destructive - if you set your mind to creating a healthy, sustainable life style and eating habits, you will be far more likely to keep the weight off once you reach you goal.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto on starting the tracking, but allowing yourself to go over on the special days (or even most of the days) this month. You'll [1] start to get used to tracking, [2] will likely find yourself cutting back on things that aren't worth it even if you aren't actively trying to stay under a goal, [3] will have some data to see what is fine as is and where you'll need to make adjustments to keep within a calorie goal, and will start to learn the calorie and macro contents of what you typically eat.
  • paulamotley
    paulamotley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't like the word diet, but I understand. It's about making some healthier eating choices. I started changing my eating habits before Thanksgiving and wondered if it was the best idea. My strategy will be the same for Christmas. Just to be moderate with my portions. I didn't even log my meals. Too much work during a festive time. Merry Christmas and enjoy your birthday! I like someone's else's idea of having the goal of drinking lots of water.
  • tabithanmayes28
    tabithanmayes28 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No its not stupid.. It's what im doing..
    Except one piece of advice.. I still eat some of the stuff I want. Like this morning I had french toast but instead of eating 2 pieces I only had 1.. Just ear much smaller portions and try and add vegetables.
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There will always be days you're super diligent and careful, and days you relax and indulge. So what difference does it make if you start now? Even if you wait til after this Christmas, there will always be another Christmas, another birthday, another cookout, another vacation, etc. So why NOT start now?

Very true. I was thinking of starting after the holidays, but I should start making changes now. There are so many family birthdays Jan-March, so I know there will be lots of family gatherings.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jb050794 wrote: »
    There will always be days you're super diligent and careful, and days you relax and indulge. So what difference does it make if you start now? Even if you wait til after this Christmas, there will always be another Christmas, another birthday, another cookout, another vacation, etc. So why NOT start now?

Very true. I was thinking of starting after the holidays, but I should start making changes now. There are so many family birthdays Jan-March, so I know there will be lots of family gatherings.

There is always something. Whether you're actively losing weight or just maintaining a weight loss, you'll always have parties and special events to navigate. My opinion is why not start now?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It is never pointless to make healthy choices NOW. Your muscle fibers, organs, fat cells, feel good endorphins, metabolism processes (that love healthy foods to work right) do not care what day it is, or what season. No matter what day it is. THE DAY IS TODAY, the time is NOW.