Working 6pm-6am and when to eat

Options
I just started working 6pm to 6am. I am sleepy and hungry all night long when I am working. I work two days and two to three off. I don't know what time or what to eat.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want.

Time makes no difference.
    Eat what you would eat if you worked 6am to 6pm.
  • mahall66
    mahall66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I worked overnight, I could not eat on that schedule. I ate in the morning before I slept, when I woke up in the afternoon (around 2) and before my shift started. I brought a small snack to eat on my overnight break. I would watch my coworkers eat a hamburger and onion rings at 2am (from the hospital cafeteria). It's hard to adjust.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    For a year now, I've worked night shifts three nights a week. Getting meals right took quite some time and being just as challenging as getting used to change between day and night sleeping.

What works best for me is a light dinner at work, around 9pm, then a night snack at 2am. Rice cakes, cottage cheese, dried fruits. When I arrive at home, I have breakfast around 8am before going to sleep.

I sleep at noon so I skip lunch, instead I have afternoon tea when I wake up. Oat meal, soy milk, a banana.

When my night shifts are over, I sleep a 10 hours stretch, then catch up with my family. Its dinnertime and the day has passed, but Im back in the rythm again

• venus_en_pisces
    venus_en_pisces Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eat when you're hungry, don't when you are not. Snack when you want, just don't forget to log them. I worked 7p-7a. Now 4p-2:30a. I also do intermittent fasting, no problems.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    tessex wrote: »
    I just started working 6pm to 6am. I am sleepy and hungry all night long when I am working. I work two days and two to three off. I don't know what time or what to eat.

When are your wake and sleep times? How did you space meals before this? Are you getting enough sleep?
    Split your calories up however works best for you.

I do best when I eat something every 3-5 hours no matter what time I start.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Absolutely prioritize your sleep. Make sure that you get enough restful sleep during the day.
    (Do not use the day to do non-essential chores when you should be sleeping.)
  • MNLannon
    MNLannon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I started, I just brought a lot of snacks with me to work. Once my body had adjusted to eating at night and I was becoming hungry during my shift, that is when I starting packing a meal.