The Holidays!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Magnum_Opus
    Magnum_Opus Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I get where you're coming from but honestly speaking no one can make you over eat but yourself. Here me out. If you're telling yourself "you're afraid, you're gonna get out of control" you're already setting yourself up for failure. We're not there just yet, let the day come and eat a tad over maintenance if you will, nothing drastic will come of it. Even if you ate just over maintenance on all the eventful days ahead, that's not your normal way of eating. After the holidays you'll simply go back to what you usually do. I feel the fear sets in when you're thinking in black or white terms, on or off, good or bad etc. Chuck that out the window and focus on enjoying good food. Savouring the taste rather than inhaling it down your throat, stuffing yourself beyond comfortable fullness or eating to punish yourself. You can always eat that extra plate or bite the next day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    This is the maintenance board. A lot of comments to the effect of "eat what you want and then get back on track" work for weight loss and do not work for maintenance.

Disagree.
    If you seek to "balance your books" every day then yes a few high days would result in a gain but many people treat maintenance in a far less restrictive way and seek to balance their calories over an extended period of time where lower days cancel out higher days.
    It's worked for me for four years and I commonly go into January near the top of my maintenance range. As my Spring training ramps up my weight drifts back down again. Maintenance doesn't have to be a flat line, that would feel like a permanent diet to me.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    This is the maintenance board. A lot of comments to the effect of "eat what you want and then get back on track" work for weight loss and do not work for maintenance.

Disagree.
    If you seek to "balance your books" every day then yes a few high days would result in a gain but many people treat maintenance in a far less restrictive way and seek to balance their calories over an extended period of time where lower days cancel out higher days.
    It's worked for me for four years and I commonly go into January near the top of my maintenance range. As my Spring training ramps up my weight drifts back down again. Maintenance doesn't have to be a flat line, that would feel like a permanent diet to me.

I mentioned banking calories, which is the same thing as having low days that balance high days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Disagree.

I mentioned banking calories, which is the same thing as having low days that balance high days.

It's one of many ways of achieving a balance - which is why I said I disagree with " A lot of comments to the effect of "eat what you want and then get back on track" work for weight loss and do not work for maintenance.

Maintenance isn't one day or one week and it's extremely personal how you choose to maintain around your goal weight range. That you want to keep a tight rein and bank calories is your choice, mine is different and both work for maintenance.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Disagree.

Or you could just go back to a small deficit after the Holidays.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I "bank calories" too. I have not eaten back exercise calories in years. This way on special occasions or holidays I am free to enjoy a few more calories than usual without guilt or weight gain. It is all about balance. Maintenance is a lifestyle not a diet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight over the holidays. And in January I diet until it's gone. No big deal.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and like to do a "preemptive strike" in the weeks before Christmas. I do this before vacations, too. I'll eat at a slight deficit for a few weeks, maybe drop a pound or two, and then have less of that guilty feeling. I think it's probably just all in my head, but it helps me to not stress about it.
  • Angieve1
    Angieve1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We have our familly dinner at my sister this year. I already told her I'm coming over to cook with her and I'm bringing my food scale. I don't usualy over splurge but I remember how bad I feel after over eating so I try not to. So if I'm going to treat it like any other day then the food scales follows as well.