what means more for you > the Health or a great looking body?

Options
michaelct
michaelct Posts: 5 Member
edited December 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I ask many people and unless they are told to lose weight because they will be dead in 5-10 years because they are overweight. But if it was not for the shock and the reality for self preservation I don't think they would give a shite. Do we all want to look slim and sexy? and Why?

I am a PT and I am a realist too. I care for the wellbeing and health of individuals first and being happy. I do market for weight loss and full body Transformations but would like to know what you all focus on first when joining a gym or starting a fitness program? Thanks all.

[Edited by MFP Staff]

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Last time I set out to lose weight, I believed I had to exercise, so I did. It didn't last, neither the weight loss nor the exercise habit. Being overweight is unpleasant, but I could avoid thinking about how I harmed my health, if I just made an effort. This time around, I discovered that I wasn't just fed up with being overweight, I was tired of the internal conflicts, the constant hunt for junk food and worrying about whether my clothes would fit me tomorrow - so my quest become (the dreaded term) a lifestyle change and not just a weight loss journey. Now I focus on eating enough, but not too much, and let movement be a natural part of my day. At a BMI of 21, my body does not look "great", and I have health issues, but my goal is a functional body and a happy life, and I feel that I have achieved that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Why can't it be both?

I guess when it comes down to it, for me, it's aesthetics primarily. However I've never really been overweight but I have had weight to lose and been very out of shape.

Right now though, I'm not gaining weight for my health over here (while more muscle is motivation, it's definitely not the primary driver).
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It wasn't so much about health for me. I was 230lbs and I didn't have any overweight related health problems just things that made my days more difficult.

I was so depressed about looking the way I did. I wanted to buy the clothes I liked, I wanted to be less anxious when meeting people, I wanted to worry less about what people thought about me.

I don't think it's a bad thing to not like the way you look. I wanted to be a normal size. Not "slim" just less obese lol for primarily vain reasons. All of my problems stemmed from low self esteem because of my size. We want to be "slim and sexy" because it's visually appealing to most people. It's nice when people find you attractive.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Why can't it be both?

^^^^^ What she said! For me it's about a 50/50 equal split.

Although I've never been obese, I've been overweight enough to be uncomfortable and not like how I looked in clothes (let alone out of them). So, there is a vanity component but at 57 I know I'll never look like 27 again so that's not what I'm shooting for.

On the health side, I know that being a normal weight I am much less likely to have long term health issues like diabetes or high blood pressure. I also do enjoy various types of exercise and I want to have the energy and stamina to stay active and be able to play with my grandkids.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For me it started out as for my health. Now it is for a great looking body, albeit not happy there yet, lol.
  • Emerald_Warrior
    Emerald_Warrior Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago when I started my weight loss, it was all because I hated myself, particularly my looks. I was obese my entire childhood and I was sick of it. Now that I've gained a portion of it back, it's more for my health than anything, and for my daughter. I want to be able to do fun, active things with her, set a good example for her, and for her to never feel ashamed of me. At the same time, though, part of it still boils down to looking in the mirror and feeling disgusted
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Why can't it be both?
    Yeah, and this. Healthy bodies are generally more attractive.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I started off wanting better aesthetics and a great body (and to be able to have more clothing options). I was in pretty good health and didn't feel overly terrible being overweight/obese. I knew I didn't want to be slim, skinny or ripped, but I wanted to be a normal size with a good mix of solid curves and slight muscle tone.

The more I got into my weight loss it shifted to wanting to be healthy long-term. I was seeing many people suffer from illnesses related to being overweight. As I was getting older I didn't want to become apart of that statistic.

Towards the end of my weight loss it became 50/50. I was enjoying seeing the changes in my body, but I wasn't quite there yet.

Years later now all that hard work paid off. I'm enjoying having a nice body, being in good health and physically fit and strong. And yes, shopping for new clothes. ;)
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Personally, I'm all about health and the looks are the icing on the cake.

Great way to put it

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I realized many years ago, I will never be a model, lol. Not only am I fat, I'm lazy, like being comfortable and hate how makeup feels. Plus I'm happily married to a guy who doesn't give a crap either.

But I really want to be able to move, be in less pain, cut WAY down on the IBS and breathing issues, and be more comfortable. Being able to buy and wear the cuter clothes at the store instead if looking for the least ugly fat clothes they think are good enough for all us fatties, would be nice too.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Health, lifts, looks (in that order)...ok, I lied. I probably care slightly more about my lifts than health.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I want to breathe easier, sleep better, move better.
    I would also like to shop where everyone else does and pay the prices everyone else does. No more "specialty"(fat ladies) stores.
    Vanity doesn't enter into it at all. But like @lorrpb, I sure enjoy looking in the mirror more now. I brush my hair more often. I wear makeup
    More often.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I do this for the health. Not really in the market for people looking at my body now.
  • Nicole15502017
    Nicole15502017 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Tbh, I'm doing it so that I can be happy about what I see in the mirror everyday