Vegemite icy poles

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-13/vegemite-icy-poles-are-coming-and-youre-all-divided/9256920

I dont think these will take off somehow. :o:o

Australians like vegemite - but everything has a time and place - the time is not dessert and the place is not the freezer :o

I know vegemite isnt in all countries - but if any of you want to try this with marmite or similar - recipe is there for you ;)

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I accidentally grabbed a single packet of what I thought was jam on a cruise and spread it on my toast, licked the leftover glob on my knife and nearly passed out from a sodium overload...WTH?!?!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Ah yes - non Australians eating vegemite ;)
    They almost never like it and they almost always use too much.
    A light smear is all you need, not a glob size.
    and nobody eats it on its own - eg in a knife lick.
    It has to be on toast, crumpets, sandwiches etc - but, back to my OP - not in frozen icy poles. ;)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    It has to be on toast, crumpets, sandwiches etc - but, back to my OP - not in frozen icy poles. ;)

Light smear? That doesn't cut it in my house. I spread it thick like tar.

Definitely not in icypoles though, although I'm sure a fancy chef could incorporate Vegemite sorbet/ice in to a dish successfully
  • fruitydude
    fruitydude Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2017
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I accidentally grabbed a single packet of what I thought was jam on a cruise and spread it on my toast, licked the leftover glob on my knife and nearly passed out from a sodium overload...WTH?!?!

Made me laugh. We used to prefer marmite over vegemite since being kiwi and all... that was until the country ran out of marmite for months (seriously), so we hesitantly/reluctantly switched to vegemite. Now we can't stand marmite. You think vegemite is salty? Hahaha don't go near marmite then.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited December 2017
    I only eat marmite (English vegemite) if I need/crave salt, otherwise no. As for icepoles made from it, blech! Although thinking choc, cream and maybe caramel in the mix? I do enjoy the marmite flavoured crisps though, yum! They do choccie flavoured with marmite too over here. Hmmm...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    nexangelus wrote: »
    I only eat marmite (English vegemite) if I need/crave salt, otherwise no. As for icepoles made from it, blech! Although thinking choc, cream and maybe caramel in the mix? I do enjoy the marmite flavoured crisps though, yum! They do choccie flavoured with marmite too over here. Hmmm...

Cadbury did a LE Vegemite flavoured choc here. It wasn't terrible.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member

When I was fasting I would crave it and ate a spoonful here n there.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Looking at the recipe....I’d try it if someone else could be bothered making it.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,376 Member
    edited December 2017
    You know what? I have a few jars of Marmite at home, I might just try that recipe. The only ingredient I'm missing is cream, but maybe I can replace that by more Marmite :D

E.t.a: The first time I ate Marmite I really hated it, since I also somehow thought it would be something like honey, molasses or Nutella. I just tried a spoonful from the jar - ick!
    Since I didn't want to waste food, I tried finishing that jar (in really small steps of many thin layers on toast), and by the time it was empty, I liked it enough to buy another one :wink:
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,376 Member
    ... just found that the Marmite version already was created in reply to the Vegemite one:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/99878436/marmite-fronts-up-to-stuffs-ice-block-challenge

• litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    I love vegemite. LOVE IT. I rather liked the chocolate with the vegemite centre, I'd be willing to stay open minded about the icy pole incarnation.
    For those who haven't tried it, do yourself a favour: vegemite and cheese toasted sandwich. Perfection :-)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

I eat it out of the jar, on a spoon, when I have a hangover...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Alatarial - hard core vegemite eater B)

I do like vegemite and cheese sandwiches - but not straight vegemite. :o
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2017
    That sounds gross! I like vegemite on toast with plenty of butter and a thin, very thin layer of vegemite. A small jar lasts me for months.
    I've seen American shows where they slam vegemite, but they heap it on bread like you would peanut butter or Nutella :confounded: No, no, no... I couldn't eat it like that either. With vegemite, less is definitely more.

As for Marmite, i would call that vegemite's poorer, unattractive cousin. Similar to the slogan "Pepsi, what you buy when they don't have coke".