Options
2»

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I have been doing every other day, but have done daily in the past. If I am sure I am eating at a deficit, I ignore anything except a new lower weight. The way I look at it, water and "stuff in the pipeline" can make my weight appear higher than it is, but nothing can make it lower. My "base weight" is me naked with as little water and gut contents as possible. It's an easy way to track trends. When I get to goal, I will flip it; my highest morning weight should never exceed goal. My goal is going to be my upper limit, so I will keep eating at deficit for another month or two.

Dehydration can make it lower ;)

Maybe, but since I am in deficit and have a ways to go I will get below it. I did have that happen about 2 weeks ago. I just got barely below that weight yesterday even though I should be losing a pound a week. I didn't post one of those "boo-hoo, my weight loss stalled" threads because I knew exactly what happened. According to the scale, I lost 2 pounds in 2 days and then the next 3 or 4 weigh ins (I weigh every other day), I was at the in between weight, a pound or so higher than the low I had seen. Then yesterday I was finally about a half pound below it.

My weigh ins seem surprisingly stable compared to what I see others post. I am usually within a pound of the last weigh in. Nearly always within 2. I have not had a spike back up of more than 2 in the last few months.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,780 Member
    Options
    I have been doing every other day, but have done daily in the past. If I am sure I am eating at a deficit, I ignore anything except a new lower weight. The way I look at it, water and "stuff in the pipeline" can make my weight appear higher than it is, but nothing can make it lower. My "base weight" is me naked with as little water and gut contents as possible. It's an easy way to track trends. When I get to goal, I will flip it; my highest morning weight should never exceed goal. My goal is going to be my upper limit, so I will keep eating at deficit for another month or two.

Maybe, but since I am in deficit and have a ways to go I will get below it. I did have that happen about 2 weeks ago. I just got barely below that weight yesterday even though I should be losing a pound a week. I didn't post one of those "boo-hoo, my weight loss stalled" threads because I knew exactly what happened. According to the scale, I lost 2 pounds in 2 days and then the next 3 or 4 weigh ins (I weigh every other day), I was at the in between weight, a pound or so higher than the low I had seen. Then yesterday I was finally about a half pound below it.

My weigh ins seem surprisingly stable compared to what I see others post. I am usually within a pound of the last weigh in. Nearly always within 2. I have not had a spike back up of more than 2 in the last few months.

That's because you're in a steep deficit.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

That's because you're in a steep deficit.

Up until a few weeks ago I was in an unhealthy ED steep deficit, so a pound a week doesn't seem so steep.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once, second thing every morning. Write it down in a spreadsheet. The column next to "Daily Weight" is "Weight-5 day roll". That is the average of today and the previous 4 days daily weight.

For me the 5 day rolling average keeps things in perspective. By the way, the same sheet has columns for "Daily Calories" and "Calories-5 day roll".
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily now I am maintaining/bulking as it shows the natural dips and peaks of weight. When in a deficit I will go back to once a week. I no longer have a problem with scales, calorie counting and other old triggers.