Still confused

Options
Hi,

I started dieting back in July this year. I thought I would be able to lose 30 lbs over 4 months or so with complete ease, but I soon realised it was going to be incredibly difficult.

I started at about 208, and by November I got down to 190, but then I gave up. Going low on calories (1900 as a 6'1 male) was killing me. I felt drained and miserable, but whenever I pushed my calories above 2100 I seemed to flatline or gain weight, so I just gave up, stopped dieting entirely and ate whatever I wanted. The amazing thing was that I barely gained weight. I probably gained back 3lbs over the course of 3 weeks or so..

Now I'm back dieting again as I want to get down to 175 lbs, but I'm finding similar frustrations - namely that I'm eating a low amount of calories for my gender and size (see my diary) but unless I eat about 1600 calories then I seem to gain weight on the scale back almost every day...

I weigh myself in the morning after going to the bathroom on a totally empty stomach, but shouldnt the weight be coming off way, WAY quicker than this??! It's been months of me eating at similar calories, and I just cant seem to get through this plateau - I hate having a small frame with a beer gut SO much - i just want ab definition. What can I do?! What's wrong with my diet?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Yes, your goal was difficult and aggressive. How are you measuring your calorie intake?
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Why would you want to weigh 175 lbs at 6'1"?

That's scrawny.

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Why would you want to weigh 175 lbs at 6'1"?

That's scrawny.

My 6"2' husband ranges between 175 and 180 and doesn't look scrawny at all.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'2" and weighed 190 at that height in high school. He was pretty fit/lean and looked good. 175 seems light to me but he's my only frame of reference.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    My husband is 6'2" and weighed 190 at that height in high school. He was pretty fit/lean and looked good. 175 seems light to me but he's my only frame of reference.

Both would be withing the normal BMI range.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    To the OP. You've gotten good advice above. But strive for some consistency in logging daily. You diary seems all over the place.

Plus, if you find you are not getting enough to eat, then I'm thinking it's time to increase your activity and eat those calories.

I'm 6' and ~215. I'm set with MFP to lose 1 lb per week because any more than that doesn't give me a happy amount of calories. Even at that, I hit the gym or the trail just so I can eat more. I don't eat them all back (because I can afford to lose more than 1 lb per week) but I'm eating most back and these are my treat/wine calories.

Makes my life much easier.

Put your weight in a trending app (Libra, Happy Scale or trendweight.com) and focus on the trend, not what the scale says daily.
  • phwdjones
    phwdjones Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I've got a small frame so at 190 I look quite fit and broad with clothes on, but without them I have a gut.

As to everyone else replying I think my point is this: my weight should be going down daily considering I have cut my water and sodium intake and my calories are stripped back to the bone.