weight and fertility

Options
Hi all,

I am an inactive member here, as I count my calories elsewhere. I recently lost 22 lbs, which put me at 123 lbs at 5.5. When I looked very good in the past, I was at 110 lbs, but this time around I am aiming for 115-118 and hope to maintain it. This is on the lower end of the BMI index chart.

Over the years, I normally fluctuated between 120-130 lbs depending on my workload (when busy I sleep less, eat more, eat worse, don't work out), but had reached two extremes 110 lbs three years ago and 145 this year. I have not focused on maintaining my weight in the past, since I lose weight pretty fast, but this time around I am committed to making it stick and having healthier lifestyle my own for life. I know there will be challenges, but mentally I am fully committed.

In addition to balancing work and weight, I plan to start a family in the next 2 years. My worry is if I maintain my weight at the lower end of the BMI, will that affect my fertility? 115-118 is this too low for a 5.5? I am 28 years old. If all goes as planned, I will be 30-31 when I am ready to have a baby.

Thanks all!

Replies

• PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the fertility part, but I'm 5'5" and my natural weight is 112.8. I recently (and somewhat mysteriously) put on 20 pounds. I weighed 112.8 for many years and was comfortable and healthy at that weight. 125 Lbs is our average recommended body weight, BUT, I have a very small frame. According to the US Navy, the bottom of our healthy weight range is about 114 Lbs. I think you'll be fine at your goal weight, assuming, you also have a small frame.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When my sister was having problems with her fertility the first thing her doctor told her to do was gain weight. I am not sure on what her weight was but she is around 5ft 5inch and her BMI was 18.

Turned out her fertility problems were not caused by anything to do with weight but it was the first recommendation for her to put weight on at the same time as running some other tests.

Some people are naturally very slim and have no trouble conceiving. Personally my advice would be that maintain where you feel happiest and healthiest, but if it does seem like you might have trouble conceiving, then maybe speak to your doctor early on in the TTC journey and see if gaining a little weight would help.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Being overweight and being underweight can affect your fertility.

The low 110s is under the healthy weight range for someone your height. I would try to keep your weight around 120lbs at least.