Any Senior’s out there?

Options

Replies

• paulab4me7982
    paulab4me7982 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Trina2040 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 68 and in maintenance for about 3 years. Lost 50 lbs with MFP -- today is my 1,429th day of logging. Try this thread too.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10047153/55-65-year-old-womens-success#latest

Us oldies are in and out of this thread all the time. It needs a bump this week.

1,429 days of logging. OMG so very inspirstional. And here I thought I was wonderful at a mere 50+ days. Thanks for the link I will check it out
  • Greybeard51
    Greybeard51 Posts: 34 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm 66, I primarily walk and bicycle. I try to average 8 miles a day walking if the weather permits. Bike is pretty much put up for the winter. I've lost 15 in 58 days. I contacted an old work friend who is a weight lifter and after the holidays he said he will meet me at the gym to start me on weight training. Feel free to add me

It is convenient that my Medicare plan gives me free access to the gym. I haven't used it much yet, but I plan on taking advantage of the pool and weights next year.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Looking at the posts I may be the MOST senior! 69 yo with a birthday coming in February!

I have been on WW since 2013 and have lost half my SW (376 to 188). I attend aqua aerobics and swim laps for exercise. I use s Flex2 fitbit to count my laps. I was never a swimmer but can now swim 1/2 mile in 30 minutes,

When WW closed their Bulletin Boards a Group of WWers came to MFP for a Chat area.

We have a Group on MFP, it’s called:
    Guys on a Diet (GoaD)

There are male and female “Guys” check it out. Seniors are there too.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Male & 67 here. Lost 38# in 6 months. Been in maintainence for a yr at 158# +/-3#. Dropped BF to 10%. Log and weigh myself daily. Lift, hike and row to maintain my strength & fitness.

If you are Medicare eligible, sign up for a FREE gym membership under Silver Sneakers or Silver & Fit, depending on which Medicare Plus or Advantage coverage that you have.
  • paulab4me7982
    Options
    Thanks for the tip but I live I. Canada. We do not have that program
  • paulab4me7982
    Options
    Good for you! I’m a scuba diver
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I'm 63, going to be 64 in march. I started June 2016, 8 more lbs to go. I'm active walking my 6 dogs every day & going to gym
  • paulab4me7982
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    Looking at the posts I may be the MOST senior! 69 yo with a birthday coming in February!

I have been on WW since 2013 and have lost half my SW (376 to 188). I attend aqua aerobics and swim laps for exercise. I use s Flex2 fitbit to count my laps. I was never a swimmer but can now swim 1/2 mile in 30 minutes,

When WW closed their Bulletin Boards a Group of WWers came to MFP for a Chat area.

We have a Group on MFP, it’s called:
    Guys on a Diet (GoaD)

There are male and female “Guys” check it out. Seniors are there too.

I’ll be 69 in April. I Too was on WW but I found i needed more structure and the ability to count all food I put in my mouth. I lost 106 pounds with WW I am findingMFP far more flexible I will check out your Guys on a Diet
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    We may not have the silver sneakers programme in Canada but my seniors municipal pass gives me access to 4 recreation centres that includes: 2pools, 4gyms, and numerous group classes, both water and land based, all for about a dollar a day.
    (There are other things like ice skating that I would have to pay a fee for use)

I have only paid for swimming lessons, Zumba, and belly dancing. Everything else I have done/tried was included in my pass- I am there 5 days a week most weeks.

There is also financial assistance for those who can't afford a pass.

Cheers, h.
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip but I live I. Canada. We do not have that program

Then you're not Medicare eligible but others who read this thread may be and may not be aware of the benefit. So, it may still be useful info to others.

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I love this thread because at 56 it appears I'm the kid here! :)

Showoff ;)
  • paulab4me7982
    Options
    At 84 I'm a little too senior so I'll just sit back and applaud....
    At 84 I'm a little too senior so I'll just sit back and applaud....

So what are your tricks for remaining active ?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm 61 but refuse to refer to myself as a senior. Got another full time professional job when my job was eliminated in a corporate restructuring last year Could afford to retire (don't feel like sitting around). Get up at 4:15 to hit the gym before work for some mobility work, go back in the evening to lift, do all my home/property maintenance myself. In any case, as people get older, falls and the inability to get off the toilet are prime reasons they go to the home. To combat this more and more experts are recommending moves where you spend time on the floor. Try this get back exercise from Dan John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I’m 59 but I don’t consider myself a senior. I work full time and am always busy.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    beaglady wrote: »
    I’m 59 but I don’t consider myself a senior. I work full time and am always busy.

Yup...I am 60 and I work full time and on my feet alot! If I didn't work I think I would fall into disrepair mentally and physically.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    I am not a senior...I have too many juniors to keep up with to defer as a senior!