Goal weight?

Options
So I started at 163 pounds, I'm not at 138 pounds..
I'm 5'4 female. What should my goal weight be?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    It's completely individual, and based on more than just what the scale says. You're within your healthy weight range, so from that perspective you can stop now if you'd like. Are you happy with what you see in the mirror? If not, what is it that you want to work on?
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It is totally up to you. Do you like what you see in the mirror? Can you wear the clothes you wish to wear before? For example i am 5'6, 135 lbs and although people say i look good, i consider myself overweight. My sister on the other hand, she is around your height and a few pounds heavier than me but she doesn't want to lose weight because she likes how she looks.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’4” at 128 going for 125, then maintaining and maybe 116 afterwards.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options

What's wrong with your weight now?

She's only 5'4" at that weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

What's wrong with your weight now?

She's only 5'4" at that weight.

So?
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I’m just a shade under 5’5”. My goal is 130. At 134 currently. I settled on 130 after a lot of thought and time. It’s attainable and maintainable without feeling like I’ll be depriving myself for the rest of my life. I like to eat and drink and be merry and run long distances very slowly.
    No one can tell you what your goal should be besides you. I’d just say to settle on a number that you’ll feel good at and be able to maintain without feeling like you’re constantly sacrificing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    For each height there is a wide range of ideal weights and that can be possibly up to 15-20lbs - body frame matters plus the amount of muscle someone has, so it's really a personal thing plus we are all different.
    138 for 5ft 4 sounds good to me - how do you feel yourself? Are you happy with how your clothes look and fit?
    Initially I aimed for 133lbs ( I'm 5ft 2 1/4") but I still had some muffin top in certain jeans. Losing another 7lbs sorted that.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Depends in part on your age, your build and musculature, and on which formula you use. For a woman 20-30yo, the healthy BMI range listed at the site linked below is 103.7-154.4; for a woman older than 30, the healthy BMI range is 107.8-145.6.

For me, it gives a range of 132.6-179.2, and at the lower end I'd be a walking scarecrow, but at the top end, I can still stand to lose about 5 lbs for me to be what I'd call a comfortable and sustainable weight. So my "sweet spot" is toward the top end of the BMI range for my age and height.

http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Totally up to you. I started at borderline obese, 215 lb., and set an initial goal of 170 lb., which put me into the "normal" BMI range. When I reached that weight, I thought I was still too jiggly, so I decided to aim for 160, then 150, while doing bodyweight exercises to help retain muscle. As I got closer to my goal, I focused less on scale weight than on body composition, strength, and endurance.