Pull-Up Problem?

Options
I had surgery a few years back and my latissimus dorsi on my right side is no longer attached/usable. I can do assisted pull-ups, and I'd like to work my way up to unassisted, but I don't want to injure myself. Is this still a reasonable goal? Will the rest of my body / my other muscles be able to compensate?

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'll bet they can.

Go for it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You have no lat on the right side at all? Or it's just not attached at one point, or multiple points? Which point(s)?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    It still exists, but it's been moved from my back to my front for a post-mastectomy reconstruction.

I mean, I'm not there YET, so I'm going to keep working on building strength, and I'll just listen to my body and hope for the best! If it ends up that doing pull-ups isn't a good option for me, it's not like it's the end of the world. ;p But I'll keep my fingers crossed!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    If you could do them unassisted before then I suspect your body will find a way to do it again.

I've never been able to anything but assisted pull ups. (That's why i went USAF or of high school. The other branches all rewired pull ups)
    I failed every presidential physical fitness test in school.
    I have very good upper body endurance today from swimming 4 miles a day but I still can't do unassisted pull ups.