Stupid question i know

Options
Blythmag
Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Sorry its dumb but im gonna ask it, party season is here and i went to another one last night and had a 1500 calorie pizza with quite a bit of alcohol and no doubt was over my allowance by 3000 caloies approx, i never recorded it as i just knew it wasnt gonna be pretty ...soooooo

My question is when does this weight go on me? The next day(today) or tomoz? I weigh daily but im not looking forward to it right now lol

Replies

• Blythmag
    Options
    Not stupid - it's quite interesting and important to understand. It's just not possible to give you the "short" answer you're seeking. Your body is in constant flux of energy and mass in and out. Fat loss and gain is pretty slow and steady, but can go on indefinetely, whereas "water weight" (water retention, semi-digested food) fluctuations are quite large, abrupt, and stop.

So in truth its gonna go on and i should stop stressing ?
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Be patient, and kind to yourself..... get right back on to your way of eating, get some sleep, exercise, stay hydrated. One day is all that was. You'll do better today and feel better about it too. It's a learning process, and your progress in health is not linear. You've got this.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh, and yes... Like the others have said. Weight is in flux and a pound, even 2 or 3 might show up quickly, and go away in a couple of days too. For me, it takes about 3 days -sometimes 4 - for the scale to return to "my" normal!
  • Blythmag
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Be patient, and kind to yourself..... get right back on to your way of eating, get some sleep, exercise, stay hydrated. One day is all that was. You'll do better today and feel better about it too. It's a learning process, and your progress in health is not linear. You've got this.

I will.ive had quite a few parties in two weeks and ive learned to not go mad, yet also know to get straight back on here and keep going.im doing great and staying in control.Eating that pizza was lush at the time and i know today and the next few must see me returning to "normal".

*off to weigh myself , gulp

I also have learned not to stress if it goes up, that way im not tempted to give up.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great advice above.

How does that one day compare to the rest of your week? If you go over one day and are at your goal the rest of the week don't worry. If you're doing this +3000 cals a few days a week you'll gain.

Some people look at calorie goals for the week. Build up a little calorie bank so you can have a nice pizza/drink night.
  • Blythmag
    Options
    Great advice above.

How does that one day compare to the rest of your week? If you go over one day and are at your goal the rest of the week don't worry. If you're doing this +3000 cals a few days a week you'll gain.

Some people look at calorie goals for the week. Build up a little calorie bank so you can have a nice pizza/drink night.

Been a tough week as every party has come full on ....however ive been good the next day and the next and today im being good.ive taken loads of great advice off here so it keeps me focused and i dont worry too much about a little gain.
  • Blythmag
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    Alcohol - drink a lot of water to re-hydrate your body if you drank too much
    Pizza - drink a lot of water to help flush out all that sodium. I once logged just one slice once and it had 900mg sodium.
    I have had the bloating last 3 days.

Good tip thanks
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Not stupid - it's quite interesting and important to understand. It's just not possible to give you the "short" answer you're seeking. Your body is in constant flux of energy and mass in and out. Fat loss and gain is pretty slow and steady, but can go on indefinetely, whereas "water weight" (water retention, semi-digested food) fluctuations are quite large, abrupt, and stop.

And pizza typically has a lot of sodium which can increase water retention.
  • Blythmag
    Options
    Great tips about a salty pizza.i never knew that, i think in the future i will avoid pizza like the plague.i was going to weigh myself but ive left it until today.i will report back soon.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Who wants to live life without pizza.. lol just stay off the scale a few days and enjoy it.
  • zugmeister
    zugmeister Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd say own it. You're the one in control of your actions. Good or bad, it's a learning experience either way and weight management is not a short term endeavor. Just keep in mind Vingogly's awesome post above about calories -> fat. Once probably won't hurt anything (says the guy who ate a 12 oz. NY steak and two Guinnesses (Guinni? Guinness?) at the company xmas party last night) but doing it repeatedly... maybe not a great plan.
  • Blythmag
    Options
    Who wants to live life without pizza.. lol just stay off the scale a few days and enjoy it.

Luckily its somerhing i dont crave
  • Blythmag
    Options
    Back on the scales this morning and im back down to pre pizzagate lol

Praise the lord :D