Frustrated after business trip...

Options
I think my metabolism sucks.

Sorry and to the point. Went on a 9 day business trip to Europe. I expected to gain a couple lbs because of the fantastic, traditional culinary foods - and knowing my options wouldn't be my usual. Nevertheless, I traveled with a colleague who was also using another diet app Loseit. I left home weighing in at 215.0... came home at 220... Okay, I did expect to gain, but that seemed more than I expected in just 9 days...

So checking in with my colleague, he also gained.. But he gained .2 That's POINT 2 OF A POUND!

How can that be? We ate mostly the same things, we walked over 20,000 steps on many days. Of course I indulged in some of the best, most delicious European foods I've ever had, and I expected to gain a few and was good with that, but now I'm up 7 lb in 10 days. That seems like a lot. Btw, he doesn't have much to lose if anything... He's thin by most standards..

Since I've been home I thought that it might disappear quickly once I got back in my weight loss routine. I've been snowshoeing, shoveling snow, active outside but my new 7lb seems to have found a home.

I'm sure everyone deals with this anchor system that or bodies have, but how can I kick start my metabolism? Next week due to several holiday functions will be another week of indulging a little., I realize that I may not be able to lose..., but if I can just be in maintenance mode, if be happy. I just do not want to gain.

By the way, I only went over maintenance caloric intake a couple times. The rest of my days would be considered "maintenance mode"... But like I said, my waking steps were up big time.

Any suggestions or support? Keep snarky comments to yourself please.

Thanks.

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Give it a few to to settle out. Flying screws me up as far as water goes.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Did you fly on a plane? There’s your answer.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How long since you've been back? Was the amount of walking unusual for you? Is the amount of activity since you've been back unusual for you? As above, did you fly? All of these things can cause water retention.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Well, you probably didn't get that much FAT as others have said. However, unless you were preparing the foods yourself, your tracking could be way off. Particularly when it comes to restaurant food--depending on how much butter, oil is used in preparing, plus how big is the portion, etc. If you ate any baked goods, that could be a lot of calories there. Plus the drinking, did you log wine or cocktails? Olives, nuts, and cheeses (typically served with the drinks) also contain a lot of calories. Very easy to eat 500-700 calories just in those snacks before dinner.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Something I've noticed between logging on Lose It and here... I have logged the same exact foods in the same exact amounts and come out with different calorie counts. It's not very reliable to compare one calorie counter to another, especially when one uses a lot of crowd sourced data. I'm not sure how many verified vs. crowd sourced entries Lose It uses, but this could explain a difference in calorie counts.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i gained 15 pounds in 1 day vacation. hah. Was so yummy, And gone all but 2 pounds a week later
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    You did not gain 5 or 7 pounds of fat in 9 Days. That is impossible. You are carrying extra water weight. It will flush out.

It's actually not at all impossible..

2450 extra calories over maintenance is a pretty easy number to hit. Given the right foods, it's not hard to hit a pretty high calorie number in a few meals.
    No. It is impossible.

Well, in theory, 2450 calories per day over maintenance for 10 days is not impossible but it's highly unlikely. It's also doubtful since, in the OP's own words, he didn't go above maintenance except for a couple of times.

OP, I'd suggest for you to stay on course and not change anything if your usual weight loss routine was working previously. Remember, long term is the aim here.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I gained 6 lbs on a trip to Europe and it disappeared at the rate of 1 lb per day over the next week. Water weight from flying..
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You did not gain 5 or 7 pounds of fat in 9 Days. That is impossible. You are carrying extra water weight. It will flush out.

2450 extra calories over maintenance is a pretty easy number to hit. Given the right foods, it's not hard to hit a pretty high calorie number in a few meals.
    No. It is impossible.

No. It really isnt.
    Eating 4 to 5 thousand calories a day is doable and has been done.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

No. It is impossible.

No. It really isnt.

But for a typical business traveler who doesn't have BED?

Just because it's doable and has been done by people who who are full out scarfing or bingeing food doesn't mean that it's the likely explanation for someone who gained less than 3 percent of his baseline weight after international travel.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    People don't have to have an eating disorder to hit that many calories. Anybody could do it. Eat out for your three meals then go out and have some drinks. It's not at all *impossible*

Who said anything about the OP? I'm talking about the fact that someone said it's impossible to do. It isnt.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

Can you please elaborate? I fly several times per month and would like to understand what you mean. Thx

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »

Can you please elaborate? I fly several times per month and would like to understand what you mean. Thx

I can't give you a scientific answer, but it messes with your water weight.
  • BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

No. It is impossible.

No. It really isnt.

Eating that many calories per day is not impossible, in fact, it would be easy to do. It is the conversion of those extra calories to stored fat that would be highly unlikely, and probably not possible for a 215 pound person to do in 10 days. Our bodies are simply not that efficient.