C25K - Should it hurt this much?

Options
Hi,

I am doing the NHS C25K program (NHS is the health service in the UK) and have just completed W3R2.

I do not really have a problem with being out of breath during the runs but my joints ache like crazy (not shin splints) and I can barely walk or get up stairs after a run.

I generally have a bath straight after the run and this helps but I am still aching the following day and there seems to be a cumulative effect as I still ache from the run two days ago when I start my next run.

I am a keen cyclist and can do 100km fairly easily and feel a lot better afterwards than I do after one of the C25K runs. I wonder if this has something to do with the aches I get after running - are my muscles optimized for cycling and being stretched by running?

Does anyone have any tips for minimizing next day aching? - it is a bit embarrassing limping along like someone twice my age!

Would having a protein shake after the run help?

Replies

• toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch after runs? I find this helps...also are you getting enough vitamins and minerals?
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for running shoes?
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes to the running shoes - got fitted and bought some nice Brooks which have helped.

Vitamins - a take a daily multi-vitamin and a cod liver oil capsule.

No to the stretching - I guess this would make sense. Do you have any links to resources that show good post running stretches?

Thanks
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for running shoes?

Ditto - the right running shoes can make the difference.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Shoes! My ankles were killing me until I bought proper running shoes.
    Oops sorry did not realize you already said you had them. No other tips from me then ((
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - quite literally. Calf pain - I hobbled like a 90 year old going down the stairs this morning after doing W3D1 yesterday. Badger Balm, Bio-Freeze, Tiger Balm, foam roller, etc,etc,etc. I've tried it all. I've trimmed down to running only two mornings a week and that has helped. Last week my calves were seizing up on my one mile walk home from work. I just noticed in my previous run that I tend to use my calves to hold my ankles stiff while I run. Yesterday I tried to roll through my stride a bit more and tried to keep my ankles looser and it felt a little better. Still I pain this morning because I can only pay attention to so many things at a time, breathing, knees, landing properly, keeping my shoulders down, not dying, etc.

Good luck !
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

No to the stretching - I guess this would make sense. Do you have any links to resources that show good post running stretches?

Thanks

There's your problem. You must stretch out your muscles after running. I do hams, quads and then some glute bridges (helps with the hips) I lay on my back and bring one leg up to my chest and stretch it out then I pull it over to to the opposite side to stretch my lower back. Have a google on post running stretches and loads will come up.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

It looks like stretching may be the solution.

I have found a few videos about it on youtube so I will try that after my next run.

Cheers
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF8x_SIPRYo

I've been doing the above stretches. I'm way less fit than you but don't seem to get that much pain. Another thing might be your pace. A couple of my friends started before me and they seemed to go way quicker than I do but are both now injured and were complaining of aches. I go way slower only barely faster than my walking pace but it means I've been able to keep going. I figure concentrate on my stamina and fitness first and speed will follow.