20 in 20: Week 5

Options
2»

Replies

• whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you ladies- Do you have an HRM and would you recommend it? Brand? What do you like about it and have you seen results since using one consistently. I don't own one and usually just input an estimate based on what MFP says and what the machine says (always going with the lowest calories). For strength training I go with the calories MFP estimates I burned, and always round down. I feel like I work out pretty hard at the gym, 30-45 mins cardio and 3x a week strength straining. I work out 5x a week, sometimes 6x. I'm beginning to think I'm overestimating or underestimating the calories I'm burning at the gym. Anyway, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks! wink

I use a Polar F6 HRM that I got from amazon for $83 on sale. It's SO useful! I had been estimating with MFP and whatever machine I was using and I found that it was way off in same cases. The elliptical alone overestimates by 25%! I was overestimating the 30 Day Shred by at least 50 calories, and I could get a much more accurate reading when I wore my HRM just walking around the mall or town center for an hour or two and log that in as exercise. Plus you can see how your heart rate changes during exercise. It helps me especially when running, and I can see when I should put a little more effort into my workout when my heart rate drops. If you have the money, it's a great investment and I've been using it for over a month and my weight has been steadily going down.

Ditto to all of the above. I also have a Polar F6 HRM; got it for $100 at ****'s Sporting Goods (EDIT: Hahaha it thought that I was saying something nasty! I promise I'm not cussing...We'll call it Richard's Sporting Goods!). I've had it for about 2.5 yrs and I love it. It's still working great and it's SO much more accurate than the estimations on machines or on MFP. Plus, I love to take group classes and I can still track my calories there....and also see what exercises get me the most bang for my buck! Why waste an hour on the treadmill and burn 250 calories when I can take a kickboxing class and burn 700+ in the same amount of time? (Not to mention the fact that an hour goes by SO much faster in a class!)

I've seen great results using mine. I lost 30+ lbs in summer of 2008 and more recently, I've lost 15.8 lbs since April 25th.

I say DO IT! It's worth way more than it costs. You'll be glad you did.
  • mxburke
    mxburke Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Welcome pheebers!

I went to kickboxing class (God himself invented that class) and it was the BEST workout ever. I challenge everyone to find a kickboxing class and go to at least one! It's such an efficient way to burn a ton of calories in an hour.

OMG!! i love kickboxing! i miss it alot right now, (couldnt afford it for the summer) but i honestly swear by it, its so much fun, and i just cant get enough of kicking the **** out of a bag and taking my anger out!!! haha
  • mxburke
    mxburke Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Didn't get a chance to check in yesterday, but I did manage to weight myself, and I'm +1 LBS. Not happy about this, but I know this will only keep me motivated for the rest of week. My challenge for this week is to incorporate more veggies into my meals. I have no problem eating them, I just need to do some grocery shopping to stock up.

I have a question for you ladies- Do you have an HRM and would you recommend it? Brand? What do you like about it and have you seen results since using one consistently. I don't own one and usually just input an estimate based on what MFP says and what the machine says (always going with the lowest calories). For strength training I go with the calories MFP estimates I burned, and always round down. I feel like I work out pretty hard at the gym, 30-45 mins cardio and 3x a week strength straining. I work out 5x a week, sometimes 6x. I'm beginning to think I'm overestimating or underestimating the calories I'm burning at the gym. Anyway, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks! :wink:

Name.............................. Start Weight ............................ Current Weight ......................... + / - LBS
    Emmylou13...........................157.4............................................154.2.................................. -3.2 LBS
    Dusty73085...........................168.7............................................166.4.................................. -2.3 LBS
    NaokoHeart...........................196.4............................................193.2...................................-3.2 LBS
    Cnbethea...............................162.6............................................163.8................................. +1.2 LBS
    Breathe_Glamour.................175.0...........................................173.0..................................... - 2 LBS
    00trayn....................................177.0............................................171.8.................................. -5.2 LBS
    kaymiller2...............................155.0............................................154.0..................................... -1 LBS
    salvirez....................................138.0............................................132.0.....................................- 6 LBS
    stephlewis..............................204.2............................................205.2.................................+ 1.0 LBS
    whittrusty.................................216.2............................................210.0...................................-6.2 LBS
    dk82.........................................184.8............................................184.0.................................. -0.8 LBS
    sarahgallienne81..................223.0............................................223.0.......................................0 LBS
    Curvykatie................................145.6............................................145.6.......................................0 LBS
    wildfiery....................................195.0............................................195.0.......................................0 LBS
    kalibsmom..............................187.0............................................ 187.0.......................................0 LBS
    maggiecharles........................193.0............................................193.0.......................................0 LBS
    Sweetheart6lk ........................ 221.2........................................... 221.2.......................................0 LBS
    Johnjely....................................185.0.............................................183.5 .................................-1.5 LBS
    mxburke....................................163.2............................................163.0.................................. -0.2 LBS
    khursh8.....................................140.2............................................140.2.......................................0 LBS
    mlally1014................................150.0............................................146.4.................................- 3.6 LBS
    pheebers..................................174.0............................................166.0..................................-8.0 LBS

Dont worry too much about the gain, seeing as you have been working out so much it might simply be some muscular weight, just keep at it and watch next week! as for the HRM, i would suggest one~! i have the polarf-6 hrm and i love it! it was the best 100 dollars i ever spent, honestly, i use it all the time at the gym, and it is so helpful especially when you are doing alot of strength training and you dont have a machine to tell you! it is also way more accurate then the machines, i find the machines, with some they over do it with how much you burn, and other under do it, so it is great to have a consistent accurate reading, plus, if you feel like doing a whole bunch of random stuff for your workout, your not stuck calculating all the calories, like for today, for me, i worked out, i did some airwalk (cybex machine), then i did the stairmaster, then some biking, then some running, and then some ab work, and it calculated the time which was 1.5 hrs and totaled at 900 calories burned! so its very rewarding to have that reading and know that you put the work in at the end of the day!
  • salvirez
    salvirez Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with your HRM. Sounds like I've got some shopping to do! I'm going to look for a Polar F6 HRM, it's good to know that it's got some longevity.

Whittrusty- you make a good point, I never thought about the benefit of knowing which workouts burn the most cals in one hour. I'm going to do some shopping around. Thanks once again girls :flowerforyou:
  • whittrusty
    Options
    How is everyone doing on their challenges this week??

Last night I came home and had the most insane desire to eat practically everything in the kitchen. Thankfully, I restrained myself and only ended up +125 calories for the day.

I went to the gym today and did a weight lifting class and interval sprints. I worked up to a sprint at 10 mph! It felt so good! I'm so proud of myself for finally making my best effort to take care of my body. I feel so much better, physically and emotionally. Not only can I do this, I'm actually doing it! Just think of where I'll be a year from now...
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Another night and no snacking after 10pm! Success! I had really delicious snacks tho, greek yogurt with strawberry preserves and blue corn tortilla chips and guac. Quite satisfying.

I'm starting Chalean Extreme today, so I'm hoping that kicks things up a notch. I haven't done my 30 Day Shred in over a week and I've been mostly going to the gym and doing cardio. I def need a new program with structure and some strength training thrown in.

I also set a new running record.. 5 minutes no stopping! Whoot! That amounted to 0.4 miles :D
  • whittrusty
    Options
    This weekend should be a good test...I'm going out of town for a wedding and will have 2 dinners that I have no control over the choices! I packed a bag full of good snacks and stuff for breakfast, so I'm prepared!

Hope everyone is doing well this week! Weigh in on Monday!
  • Naokoheart
    Naokoheart Posts: 161
    Options
    My gosh did I fall off the wagon,I feel I've missed a week. S;

Name.............................. Start Weight ............................ Current Weight ......................... + / - LBS
    Emmylou13...........................157.4............................................154.2.................................. -3.2 LBS
    Dusty73085...........................168.7............................................166.4.................................. -2.3 LBS
    NaokoHeart...........................196.4............................................191...................................-5.4 LBS
    Cnbethea...............................162.6............................................163.8................................. +1.2 LBS
    Breathe_Glamour.................175.0...........................................173.0..................................... - 2 LBS
    00trayn....................................177.0............................................172.2.................................. -4.8 LBS
    kaymiller2...............................155.0............................................154.0..................................... -1 LBS
    salvirez....................................138.0............................................131.0.....................................- 7 LBS
    stephlewis..............................204.2............................................205.2.................................+ 1.0 LBS
    whittrusty.................................216.2............................................210.0...................................-6.2 LBS
    dk82.........................................184.8............................................184.6.................................. -0.2 LBS
    sarahgallienne81..................223.0............................................223.0.......................................0 LBS
    Curvykatie................................145.6............................................145.6.......................................0 LBS
    wildfiery....................................195.0............................................195.0.......................................0 LBS
    kalibsmom..............................187.0............................................ 187.0.......................................0 LBS
    maggiecharles........................193.0............................................193.0.......................................0 LBS
    Sweetheart6lk ........................ 221.2........................................... 221.2.......................................0 LBS
    Johnjely....................................185.0.............................................183.5 .................................-1.5 LBS
    mxburke....................................163.2............................................163.2.......................................0 LBS
    khursh8.....................................140.2............................................140.2.......................................0 LBS
    mlally1014................................150.0............................................146.4.................................- 3.6 LBS
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Boy did I fall off not from the site but from the challenge!! alright I have 15 weeks to go which is plenty of time to lose so I am on a mission now to get this done!!
  • Dusty73085
    Dusty73085 Posts: 40
    Options
    Hey ladies! I know I haven't updated in a few weeks, I was without a scale there for awhile, and just plain forgot. I should probably just wait until tomorrows weigh in, but I figured what the hey. :)

I have been doing pretty good. I started 30 Day Shred a few days ago and it's pretty butt kickin! I would like to try and move to level 2 within the next couple days!

I am so happy with my progress so far! If I keep it up, I should hit the 20 lb mark no problem! yay!

Dusty73085...........................168.7............................................163.1.................................. -5.6 LBS
    NaokoHeart...........................196.4............................................191...................................-5.4 LBS
    00trayn....................................177.0............................................172.2.................................. -4.8 LBS
    salvirez....................................138.0............................................131.0.....................................- 7 LBS
    dk82.........................................184.8............................................184.6.................................. -0.2 LBS
    mxburke....................................163.2............................................163.2.......................................0 LBS
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Alright here it is I am up this week and now it's time for me to get this done no more pity party for me so if I come in here with excuses give me a kick in the butt to get backed focused!!

Dusty73085...........................168.7............................................163.1.................................. -5.6 LBS
    Cnbethea...............................162.6............................................164.4................................. +1.8 LBS
  • dk82
    dk82 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!! Just weighing in.

Cnbethea...............................162.6............................................164.4................................. +1.8 LBS
    dk82.........................................184.8............................................181.6.................................. -3.2 LBS
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Don't know if I have grabbed the right one, but took the most recent. Someone grabbed one without my name on it, so adding it again.

dk82.........................................184.8............................................181.6.................................. -3.2 LBS
    Aeriel........................................188.7.............................................186.3......................................-2.4 LBS
  • whittrusty
    Options
    Week 6 is up!
  • ifychudy
    ifychudy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    hello everyone. I would love to join this challenge. How does it work?? how often do you weigh in?? I hope am not late