When to Bulk and When to Cut?

Options
Mr_Healthy_Habits
Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
Bulkers and Cutters!!!

How much weight do you allow yourself to gain before switching to a cutting diet?

How much weight do you cut before allowing yourself to bulk again?

Do you even base your "when" off of weight, or do you use BF% as a set point?

I used to weigh over 333lbs, cut all the way down to around 160lbs, felt pretty skinny so started bulking up to about 188lbs, cut back down to 174Lbs and stopped because I thought I was starting to look like I was losing size and wasn't seeing the abs progress I wanted because of the extra skin and cellulite...

Right now I'm back up to 183lbs, I'd like to go up to 190lbs eventually because I believe, at 10% BF, This will put me at a ffmi of about 23, which I've read the average person is incapable of surpassing without steroids or help from genetics.

I'll probably cut back down however before I reach 190 before going back up because, I just don't feel my best right now, although I've definitely gotten stronger and bigger but... Either I'm just not used to the extra weight, or I went up to quickly...

About 8-9lbs in as many weeks

Your opinions, tips and strategies are most welcome

Thanks!

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Bumping my thread since I posted it around 2 a.m. that's the term you kids are using when you refresh a thread now right bumping LOL
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I aim to keep between about 10-15%. Bulk to 15, cut to 10, repeat. I'm ok with my current shape and I don't compete so I don't stress about how long the cycles take.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I cut until I have a full on 6 pack, then bulk until I hate myself, rinse and repeat. (the difference from end of cut to end of bulk is about 15lbs for me, but I am only 5'6", so 15lbs is a pretty large fluctuation.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am not a male, but for me I bulk until I am satisfied with my progress, when I feel like my bodyfat is getting a little too high, and I also factor in how long it will take to cut. For me it usually ends up around 10-12lbs gained.
    As for how lean I go, if I am going to run another bulk I don't base it on weight but usually try to get fairly lean (for me as a female, I would say anywhere from 17-20% bf, or when I start to look too thin and weight loss is no longer bringing progress)
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I had to translate the percentages in this article to something that makes sense for females, but this is a good article that bases cycling off of body fat percentage: https://thinkeatlift.com/guide-bulking/