I had some pre-cooked chicken that was out of date by 4 days??

Options
jbvpn
jbvpn Posts: 17 Member
Hi all,

Today I ate some food with pre-cooked chicken and when I put the first piece in my mouth I noticed it tasted odd.

I did not consume any of the chicken itself as I spat the piece out. I am concerned that some of the bacteria may have got into my system?

It was 4 days out of date when I checked the label - should I be concerned?

Replies

• rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but if you didn't swallow it, I doubt if you have anything to worry about.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Next time check tbe date before eating it. It often is ok for a few days longer but smell it first!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Food, like a frozen meal, or food, like a bag of frozen chicken that was included in prep.

Either way, as long as it was properly cooked, the worst you'll get is grossed out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You spat it out, you'll be fine I'm sure
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Next time check tbe date before eating it. It often is ok for a few days longer but smell it first!

^^^^^^ This exactly! The nose knows! Whenever I save leftovers or plan to cook something that MAY be questionable I give it a good sniff. If it smells off then toss it out. I'm notorious for buying protein and then letting it sit in my fridge a couple days before cooking. I've thrown away too much, so now I get it into the freezer right quick. If you'd frozen that chicken right away it would still have been good.

I wouldn't worry at all about putting something in your mouth if you didn't consume it. I've spit out lots of things that didn't taste quite right and have never gotten sick.