Studying after school years!

Options
adammay93
adammay93 Posts: 14 Member
Hello everyone!
I've really got into fitness over the last year and have decided to enroll in a level 3 diploma to become a personal trainer but I will be doing all my studies before and after work as have no time to go to classes.
Has anyone got any tips on how to get the best out of home studying? Any suggestions are much appreciated as I haven't been to school in around 6 years

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    What program are you studying? All have excellent online components for courses anymore. I was ACE, ASCM, and NATA certified back in the day and all have excellent credo in the biz.
  • Nicole15502017
    Nicole15502017 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Use the pomodoro technique

Totally agree! Used this in college great way to study
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Use the pomodoro technique

This is interesting. I'd never heard of it, but I just googled it, and it sounds like it would have been really helpful for me.

I went "back" to school several years after finishing college, and honestly, even though I was in a post-graduate, notoriously difficult program, I actually found studying and schoolwork much easier than it had been earlier in life. As an adult, I think I was just more focused and disciplined.

I'm a big believer in scheduling yourself. I kept a day planner (I canNOT seem to effectively use apps or electronic calendars all that effectively) and I color-coded my entries by class and kept track not only of work and assignments that were due to professors, but also time for me to read, study, organize my notes into outline form, etc. Forcing those tasks into scheduled timeframes kept me from waiting until the last minute, and it also meant that I'd chunk out the time needed to do that stuff. Otherwise, I'd have been inclined to get distracted by household tasks or errands or whatever else tends to distract adults more than younger students. If you're studying before and after work, set out a chunk of time every evening and every weekend when you simply HAVE to do this. If you MUST do something else during your scheduled study time, RESCHEDULE the study time to a different time slot. View it as a second job.

Use earplugs. Drink a lot of coffee. Go somewhere ELSE to work if you have to - I basically adopted a table in the corner of a favorite coffeeshop as my own for those few years.

(Man, this is making me miss school. I graduated 12 years ago, almost to the DAY, and I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could.)