Does it matter how you spread your calories across the week?

Options
I'm really anxious to stick to calories over Christmas and my goal is 2000. Could I eat 1800 every day that week and then have 3200 calories on Christmas Day or does it not work like that and I'll still gain weight? And please don't say anything like its Christmas let go because I don't feel able to do that.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've done this quite a lot. You may find that your weight temporarily goes up after a higher calorie day (because you may have consumed more sodium/carbohydrates or you simply have more food working through your body), but don't let that worry you.
  • zoemccarthy558
    zoemccarthy558 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've done this quite a lot. You may find that your weight temporarily goes up after a higher calorie day (because you may have consumed more sodium/carbohydrates or you simply have more food working through your body), but don't let that worry you.
    Sorry how long did the water weight last roughly so I can be prepared?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

It usually takes me 2-3 days for the water weight from a big meal to drop (I eat less during the week and more on weekends quite frequently), but honestly everyone's body is different. Just remember that you have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance to gain a pound of fat, which is possible but pretty difficult in a single day. And if you're up 2-3 pounds after one day, most of it is certainly water or waste moving through your system.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You could do that...or you could also just enjoy your Christmas day and not worry about it...in the grand scheme of things, a feast day is not particularly relevant.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'm really anxious to stick to calories over Christmas and my goal is 2000. Could I eat 1800 every day that week and then have 3200 calories on Christmas Day or does it not work like that and I'll still gain weight? And please don't say anything like its Christmas let go because I don't feel able to do that.

I did that every week while losing and still do it now in maintenance. During the workweek my day is more structured and eating light is easy. I like to save calories so I can enjoy my unstructured weekends.

Keep in mind that eating different or richer foods may cause temporary water weight gain.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

There's no set amount, but I find that water weight usually sticks with me for 2-4 days.