Negative calories on mfp

Options
13»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    The only day I see a negative calorie adjustment at the end of the day is yesterday. Was the issue just for one weird day, or do you feel your numbers are off all the time?

Double check that your activity setting and time zone is correct and the same for both MFP and your tracker. I know that sounds silly, but I didn't realize my time zones were off, and some trackers determine how much of your activity should have happened already based on time of day.

If you are logging exercise that your tracker doesn't automatically pick up, log it on your tracker, not on MFP.

The actual number of calories being deducted or added comes from your tracker, not MFP. That's why I allow the adjustments from my Fitbit, I find the numbers are more accurate than MFP for exercise. It has nothing to do with MFP, free or premium. If you get a negative calorie adjustment, it's your tracker telling MFP that you don't have enough calories burned yet and might fall short. If the tracker is new, some of them take a week or two to "learn" from your daily activity pattern.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jkann1 wrote: »
    So I am certain this has been covered but I can't find it so I'm asking.
    Yesterday I did a partial fast and didn't eat until 630pm
    During the day I hit my goal of 10000 steps, did 40 minutes of boxing, 6 minutes of jumping rope, and 15 minutes on a treadmill.
    My fitness pal calculated a negative calorie of -897 So I gained approximately 26 extra calories for the day from the exercise described above.
    Please explain how working out and not eating gives me a negative calorie total for my exercise section on mfp
    Thanks.

It adjusted to match the total exercise calories to what the tracker's server specifies as total calories - if you added exercise separately to MFP, it will be negated. If you logged it via the tracker server, but it doesn't compute those calories (things like cycling, for instance will burn more calories than a step tracker is going to estimate), it will also not be counted.
  • ritzvin
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You can see Garmin's math for the total calories burned on their server under Daily Summary: Activities.
    It looks like this:
    hdmedlcp6gk4.png
    (Note on this day: Because I manually enter the strength training calories from a formula, the step tracker didn't count them, and thus the total is less than the weight training session, and I would have a negative adjustment if those were enabled. Mine is set to sedentary (with no negative adjustments), which would typically result in ~48 calories for those 2.56 miles were no other activities listed. I tracked long enough to realize the trends and approximate formulas, and back before I switched to TDEE method, I would manually add an estimate for steps if it was a day with a lot of miscellaneous walking (things like street festivals, etc), since the weight training and dancing calories would otherwise negate them). (on the dancing calories: I rarely wear my watch when dancing- it gets in the way of arm slides and grabs and certain other moves. and In close embrace dances, very few steps are likely to register (unless you are really bad at it)).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If you are logging exercise that your tracker doesn't automatically pick up, log it on your tracker, not on MFP.

The actual number of calories being deducted or added comes from your tracker, not MFP. .

For the Garmin's, note that manually added activities will be negated whether added to Garmin's server or to MFP.
  • jkann1
    jkann1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The only day I see a negative calorie adjustment at the end of the day is yesterday. Was the issue just for one weird day, or do you feel your numbers are off all the time?

Double check that your activity setting and time zone is correct and the same for both MFP and your tracker. I know that sounds silly, but I didn't realize my time zones were off, and some trackers determine how much of your activity should have happened already based on time of day.

The actual number of calories being deducted or added comes from your tracker, not MFP. That's why I allow the adjustments from my Fitbit, I find the numbers are more accurate than MFP for exercise. It has nothing to do with MFP, free or premium. If you get a negative calorie adjustment, it's your tracker telling MFP that you don't have enough calories burned yet and might fall short. If the tracker is new, some of them take a week or two to "learn" from your daily activity pattern.

It's done it everyday this week whenever I do any exercise above the steps. It makes the steps into negative calories. Usually a very high number of negative calories which wipes out any additional calories I should have gained by exercising.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

It's done it everyday this week whenever I do any exercise above the steps. It makes the steps into negative calories. Usually a very high number of negative calories which wipes out any additional calories I should have gained by exercising.

That's exactly what it's supposed to do.

As others have said, If you're using a tracker, it's accounting for your daily activity. So the tracker passes over that you've done 300 extra calories. You enter that you did a 30 minute workout that netted 400 calories. MFP takes those two numbers and give you a net negative 100 calories from the two entries.

If you turn off "negative adjustments" in MFP, then your step tracker will show 0 until it exceeds the 400 you've recorded.

The most likely cause of this is overestimating calories.

This can be partly resolved by entering the activity into your tracker instead of MFP(as a couple of others have suggested)

Additionally, it's probable that you're overestimating your burn(since in your example you estimated 913 calories for an hour of boxing/jumprope/treadmill)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Have you checked to see if the negative adjustment goes away over the course of the day? I usually work out in the morning and my Apple Watch generally gives me a big giant negative adjustment when it first syncs (anywhere from -200 to -900 calories, ouch!). However within an hour or so of normal activity that number quickly adjusts down to something that makes more sense. I've noticed this happening later in the day as well, but again, it tends to sort itself out. I think it's just something to do with adjusting the step counter to avoid double-dipping calories, as others have noted, combined with the fact that the device is trying to estimate your entire day based on the activity you've done so far.

ETA: I've also erased the giant negative entry manually and had a more reasonable one show up within an hour or so. But generally I just leave it alone.
  • wjijr
    wjijr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A typical day in my MFP diary is "2000 - food calorie intake +- exercise calories = remaining calories". Almost always "exercise calories" is a positive (+) number. On days when I exercise a lot, "exercise calories" is higher than norm, this I have understood is accounting for the extra calories I burned in exercise that are off setting my calorie goal of "2000".

Yesterday, inspite of 57 minutes of Apple Watch exercise, my MFP "exercise calories" came in at "- 800", "2000 - 2016 - 800 = -816".

This is wrong. I attribute the "-800" to be some sort of syncing error.

This has happened 3 or 4 times in 5 years. Never have been able to get to the bottom of it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    wjijr wrote: »
    A typical day in my MFP diary is "2000 - food calorie intake +- exercise calories = remaining calories". Almost always "exercise calories" is a positive (+) number. On days when I exercise a lot, "exercise calories" is higher than norm, this I have understood is accounting for the extra calories I burned in exercise that are off setting my calorie goal of "2000".

Yesterday, inspite of 57 minutes of Apple Watch exercise, my MFP "exercise calories" came in at "- 800", "2000 - 2016 - 800 = -816".

This is wrong. I attribute the "-800" to be some sort of syncing error.

This has happened 3 or 4 times in 5 years. Never have been able to get to the bottom of it.

Apple doesn't play well with MFP, never has really.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Is this very different from what you usually see or have you just started logging in conjunction with a synced fitness tracker?

Today was different than any other day ive seen. I've been using Mfp synced with a garmin watch for the past 6 weeks. My exercise profile is set at 10000 steps.

Getting negative calories based on too much exercise doesn't make any sense. Guess I wasted the money on this app and need to find something else.

I need something that can accurately track what I'm eating and burning not make up aswrbitrary rules that burning 300 calories and eating none means I am now behind for the day.

I disabled the negative calorie adjustment. The information I get makes more sense to me. I also have a Garmin synced to MFP

Oops. Just noticed that this is a necro thread. Oh well, the info still stands